..:: UC Sacramento at Cal Expo ::..

I think that UC Sacramento should open at Cal Expo.

- Sacramento needs a viable redevelopment project in this region.
- The school would bring another 20-30k people to Sacramento annually. Maybe more.
- Job creation through the university.
- Arden and Midtown housing and businesses would benefit.
- The city and county need the money.
- Cal Expo has the existing infrastructure to accommodate a university.
- Could host NCAA bowl games and tournaments, generating more income.
- Cal Expo is barely used currently, a UC would use it almost every day.

- The campus parties and concerts
glasses.gif
eek.gif
. You know UC Sac would be that perfect fusion of a metropolitan+hood+suburb+proper California college experience.

UC Sac sounds kinda funny.

We already have UC Davis though.

UC's within thirty minutes of each other?

CAL and UCSF are probably less than 30 minutes from each other.

UCLA, Riverside and Irvine are all 40 minutes from each other.

I think it's what Sac needs. If you add another 15,000-25,000 18 to 24 year students in the middle of the city, both Sac St. and Davis would benefit from a social aspect. It would give California kids another option to consider in the UC system.

It's no different than UCLA, USC, LMU, Northridge, Long Beach etc. all close to each other.

The more the merrier.

Originally Posted by nicedudewithnicedreams

We got students occupying campuses and you talking about starting UCS. Keep dreaming.
laugh.gif
Yes it's hypothetical, but by the time a UC opens in Sac the occupy movement will have passed. I'm talking 2-4 years from now. Long term it would definitely benefit the city and county financially.

Originally Posted by xx Name Brand xx

CAL and UCSF are probably less than 30 minutes from each other.

UCLA, Riverside and Irvine are all 40 minutes from each other.

I think it's what Sac needs. If you add another 15,000-25,000 18 to 24 year students in the middle of the city, both Sac St. and Davis would benefit from a social aspect. It would give California kids another option to consider in the UC system.

It's no different than UCLA, USC, LMU, Northridge, Long Beach etc. all close to each other.

The more the merrier.
But that's in a MAJOR Metropolitan area.

Los Angeles Metro has 18 million people

SF Bay Area Metro has 10+million people

Sacramento Metro has 2 million
alien.gif

Originally Posted by LoveOfTheGame916

alien.gif

That's a given Sac doesn't have the population of both of the Bay and LA, but it would definitely benefit from the added population increase through a university.

The school doesn't necessarily have to be a UC, a private university would work too. In 2009/2010 Sac became the 25th biggest MSA (city/metropolitan statistical area) in the nation. Growing into a top 25 city should spawn some viable re-development in the region, Cal Expo being this example.

There will be more people in the upcoming years moving to Sac from the Bay Area. The gap keeps widening between real estate prices in the Bay and Sac. The Bay prices are stabilizing, increasing in some areas, while in Sac they are somewhat declining, making it an extremely affordable region for people to relocate. The exact same trend happened between 1998-2003, it's just a repeating cycle.

Originally Posted by LoveOfTheGame916

alien.gif
That's a given Sac doesn't have the population of both of the Bay and LA, but it would definitely benefit from the added population increase through a university.

The school doesn't necessarily have to be a UC, a private university would work too. In 2009/2010 Sac became the 25th biggest MSA (city/metropolitan statistical area) in the nation. Growing into a top 25 city should spawn some viable re-development in the region, Cal Expo being this example.

There will be more people in the upcoming years moving to Sac from the Bay Area. The gap keeps widening between real estate prices in the Bay and Sac. The Bay prices are stabilizing, increasing in some areas, while in Sac they are somewhat declining, making it an extremely affordable region for people to relocate. The exact same trend happened between 1998-2003, it's just a repeating cycle.

I feel that argument. We're a top 25 city now. We better start acting like it.

Add a school
New Downtown Arena/Development
More attractions
More bars
devil.gif

Yes it's hypothetical, but by the time a UC opens in Sac the occupy movement will have passed. I'm talking 2-4 years from now. Long term it would definitely benefit the city and county financially.
And they are occupying campuses because? No money, bruh. 2-4 years from now? Still no money.
laugh.gif

And they are occupying campuses because? No money, bruh. 2-4 years from now? Still no money.
laugh.gif
Like I wrote above, the school doesn't necessarily have to be a UC, a private university would work too. Stanford, Santa Clara, St. Mary's, USF, USC, LMU, Pepperdine, UCD & UOP are all doing fine. University of Northern California sounds good.
LoveOfTheGame916 wrote:

I feel that argument. We're a top 25 city now. We better start acting like it.

Add a school
New Downtown Arena/Development
More attractions
More bars
devil.gif

Exactly.

Like I wrote above, the school doesn't necessarily have to be a UC, a private university would work too. Stanford, Santa Clara, St. Mary's, USF, USC, LMU, Pepperdine, UCD & UOP are all doing fine. University of Northern California sounds good.
UCD is a typo.

Once again, students are occupying public schools in CA because of what? No money. You think private schools are cheap? People aren't occupying private schools because they or their parents have money anyways. And why would said people want to move to Sac again? (Cheap housing don't mean anything when there are no jobs and pay is lower than the Bay/SoCal) No hate, but right now, it is important to fix the public school issues up here and throughout CA first before opening a new private school. Small businesses create viable jobs, not a big university in Sac.  

This on some real life "Accepted" if done in Sac.
laugh.gif

UCD is a typo.

Once again, students are occupying public schools in CA because of what? No money. You think private schools are cheap? People aren't occupying private schools because they or their parents have money anyways. And why would said people want to move to Sac again? (Cheap housing don't mean anything when there are no jobs and pay is lower than the Bay/SoCal) No hate, but right now, it is important to fix the public school issues up here and throughout CA first before opening a new private school. Small businesses create viable jobs, not a big university in Sac.  

This on some real life "Accepted" if done in Sac.
laugh.gif
I meant USD not UCD.

Cheap housing means a lot. There is a threshold when the affordability of the area starts attracting people from the Bay Area, regardless of the unemployment rate here. The price for a 4bedroom/3bath house built 2000 or newer is between 300k-450k in Roseville/Rocklin/Fair Oaks/Carmichael/Natomas, the better areas of Sacramento. The same property in Santa Clara, Alameda, San Francisco, Contra Costa or Marin County costs 700k-1.2M. Willow Glen had the highest price per square foot in the nation in 2009, that number has not gone down. The 300k-500k price difference will float a buyer for 2-3 years while they may be looking for employment or they can save it or re-invest it. Of course this scenario doesn't work for everyone considering moving out of the Bay Area, but for a lot of people it does.

I agree CA has to fix its public schools at every level. The kids are getting screwed. I also agree that small business create jobs. Adding another 15k-30k people through a university, public or private, would increase consumer spending, directly supporting Sacramento small businesses and housing. It also adds jobs for students, teachers & administrators, maintenance & security, construction, not to mention the recurring amount of incoming freshman, families & friends who stay locally to tour the school and visit students. Games and concerts also bring money.

Cheap housing means nothing when you don't have the higher paying jobs like the Bay Area. I'm originally from Sac and went to the Bay for school and now work out there. Trust, I ain't coming back for the cheap housing. There are people that live in Sac and take the train to the Bay for work. I ain't about that life.

A public school wouldn't work obviously due to funding issues and a big private school wouldn't want to move to Sac. And you know, you can switch out "school" in your example with a "basketball" arena and it would equal the same results.

The city can barely support the Kings, a new school would be the end of it.
ohwell.gif

eek.gif
 That would be crazy! I always wondered why there was no UC in Sac 
laugh.gif

I'd rather have another college than have the Kings, they suck anyways (Go Kobe!).

Only thing is, Capital City Freeway would be at a perpetual stand-still.

Back
Top Bottom