UCLA Represent?

I just accepted to UCLA (as a transfer) and want to know what's really good?

How are the people? Any typical NTers/hypebeasts walking around?
How is the city? How is the cost of living? Do you have to share a room? Would a person from NorCal enjoy it? How's the racial diversity?

Any answers would help. I have yet to visit the campus, so if you think I should check something out, let me know. Which day should I go to get a true feel of the campus? Thanks.
Silicon Valley
Home to:
Apple - Cisco - EA - eBay - Google - HP - Intel - Oracle - Yahoo!​

congrats :D
happy.gif

i'm an alumni. you got alot to look forward to. to answer some of your questions:

-the peeps are pretty cool, shouldn't have much trouble meeting people.
-cost of living is very high. you will most likely have to share a room unless you got cheez. westwood is an upscale city and students are looking for places constantly so it does get pricey for rent. and parking can def get you >:
mad.gif
TEAM MEDICAL

this is the team for me, i always need medical attention​

First off, congrats. Notice that you also got into Berkeley (NorCal forum), but I hope you decide to come here to UCLA. I came to UCLA as a transfer, so I can help you out a bit.

Quote:
How are the people? Any typical NTers/hypebeasts walking around?

The people here are pretty cool. Best bet is to live on campus for a year, since they'll most likely room you with other transfers. Recently, I've noticed typical NTers/hypebeasts, but nothing too bad. Some have some heat.

Quote:
How is the city? How is the cost of living? Do you have to share a room? Would a person from NorCal enjoy it? How's the racial diversity?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiSst2fpqNg
Team49ers
XVI . XIX . XXIII . XXIV . XXIX
And Team Philippines too!!!​

UCLA Alum '04 =)

Racial diversity eh? I hope you like Asians and Persians! But for real, it's pretty diverse for the most part. If you are looking to find a Student Group that reflects your nationality you should have no problem.

Back when I attended, I was like literally 1 of 5 shoeheads/streetwearers/hypebeasts/whatever you want to call it on campus. The fashion there was pretty laid back, everyone in either Pumas (ALWAYS on sale at the now defunct Copeland Sports on campus) or Rainbows (sandals). Serious. If I wore any sort of bright clothing I would get looks all day, which I didn't mind =) I'm still on campus on the regular doing some extracurricular stuff, and it seems that there a lot more shoeheads on campus, which reflects the whole 'culture' rising in popularity.

Westwood is fun, even though it's all basically restaurants. Sawtelle is nice. You are relatively close to Downtown/Hollywood and about 40 mins from the OC (no traffic). You should be cool.

Housing is a pain. I suggest living south of Wilshire or even better Palms and taking the bus to school. I lived right in the village (Kelton) and paid $400 sharing a small room with 2 other guys!

If you want to visit, I suggest a Monday or a Wednesday. From my experience, that is when the campus was the busiest.

Oh and congrats! My UCLA years were the best years of my life. Don't take it for granted or you'll end up like me =P
Get the full experience and join clubs! Or frats...I guess (not my cup o' tea). I met most of my closest friends through clubs on campus.
http://conrobot.blogspot.com/

I'm attending UCLA in the fall as a freshmen, decided to pick LA over Berkeley.
TEAM WARRIORS
Azubuike - Barnes - Biedrins - Cabarkapa - Davis - Ellis - Foyle
Harrington - Jackson - Jasikevicius - O'Bryant - Pietrus - Powell - Richardson

first of congrats on getting into UCLA!

but may i ask what school u transffered from and your college gpa? was the process of transferring difficult? im thinkin of transferring my junior year so yeah..thanks in advance
FAST LIKE A NASCAR​
TEAM WARRIORS

^ I know you were asking the thread starter, but as a transfer student, I 'll tell you what i got into UCLA with.

Community College: De Anza College (Cupertino);

GPA: 3.3?

Transferring Process: It was pretty easy to transfer. When you start community college, you'll most likely have to take an orientation-type of class. They'll usually tell you what you need to take in order to gain credit when you transfer. There's a thing called IGETC that gives you a list of all of the classes that you can take at your community college that transfers over to the UC/CSU that you plan on going to. Also, www.assist.org
Team49ers

Just got offered Sunset for housing. Anybody know is thats a good place to stay, and should i reject it in hopes of getting placed in a better place?
TEAM WARRIORS

Sunset is a pretty good place to stay. You're in the bottom part of "The Hill". I think most of the rooms are triples. If you want a suite, try to get Saxon or Hitch. Bad things about those two are that they look like cabins and are higher on the hill. If I were you, accept Sunset. You'll be near the basketball courts, tennis courts, swimming pool, and etc.
Team49ers

^Thanks, it isn't possible to choose which building you want to stay in right? The housing people pick em for you right...Im probably gonna accept Sunet, because Im not tryna have them give me a worst place to stay.
TEAM WARRIORS

im a transfer myself c/o 08. some advice...you have to realize the quarter system is so fast it seems like the year has passed by so quickly. so go out and enjoy it while you can. when i first transfered i was scared that i wasn't smart enough, i got in on a fluke, classes were gonna be so much harder etc. Let me say community college prepared me perfectly fine, i study just about the same amount or hours a week.

and it seems like everyone here is from the bay area. so you should feel comfortable. my only real knock on ucla is that it seems like everyone studies a little to much for me. it can get dead sometimes. but this may be b/c i stay in hitch suites where it is so dead. so i would stay in sunset if i were you.
TEAMWARRIORS
Davis - Richardson - Jackson - Harrington - Biedrins - Ellis - Azubuike - Barnes
Pietrus - Jasikevius - Powell Foyle - Cabarkapa - O'Bryant

Quote:
^Thanks, it isn't possible to choose which building you want to stay in right? The housing people pick em for you right...Im probably gonna accept Sunet, because Im not tryna have them give me a worst place to stay.

Nope, you can't choose. They assign you a building/room/roommates/etc. But Sunset is a good place to live on campus. Sunset is one of the more "alive" spots for campus, you don't want to be like me and the dude above me who stayed at Hitch. Big rooms, but no social atmosphere. BTW, are you a transfer or an freshman?

Quote:
and it seems like everyone here is from the bay area. so you should feel comfortable. my only real knock on ucla is that it seems like everyone studies a little to much for me. it can get dead sometimes. but this may be b/c i stay in hitch suites where it is so dead. so i would stay in sunset if i were you.
Team49ers

Quote:
Nope, you can't choose. They assign you a building/room/roommates/etc. But Sunset is a good place to live on campus. Sunset is one of the more "alive" spots for campus, you don't want to be like me and the dude above me who stayed at Hitch. Big rooms, but no social atmosphere. BTW, are you a transfer or an freshman?
TEAM WARRIORS

Hedrick Summit is cool, it's just on the top of the hill. Out of the two, I'd prefer Sunset. Summit is similar in the sense that you and your roommate will only share a bathroom with the room next to you. It's also designed like a dorm in the sense that it's a pretty big building. However, it sucks because it's on the top of the hill. Also because it's a new building, I remember that the fire alarms went off hella times, sometimes during the middle of the night. It's a pretty cool place, but Sunset Village is more convenient. Private bathroom mainly refers to only sharing the bathroom with at most 2-3 people, if I am correct. Sunset Village is a cool place.

Oh yeah, congrats for getting into UCLA.
Team49ers

^Thanks...also should i be worried about leaving my things around my dorm unattended (laptop, ipod)? I mean, are there cases where a guy leaves his stuff in his dorm and it ends up missing? Basically, are the roommates usually trust worthy
TEAM WARRIORS

^ Honestly, it depends on your roommates. There aren't really any locks except for the main door and the bathroom. There are cases where things get stolen, but that can happen at any dorm. Luckily, most people that lived on campus (including myself) haven't had anything serious stolen. Most people I know on campus are trustworthy. It really depends on how trusting your roommates are, but it's pretty safe to say that you shouldn't worry about your things. In the event that it does happen though, you can always talk to your Resident Assistant. They'll help you and your roommate resolve any issues that come along the way.

Team49ers

Quote:
and it seems like everyone here is from the bay area

So true. Either that or Orange County. I wonder why...

Anyways, my memory is a bit hazy...but by Sunset Village do you mean Delta Terrace/Courtside/all that jazz? It sounds so familiar....but yeah, no Hitch/Saxon. You'll have calves the size of watermelons after all that walking. That's a bad thing.

Did you consider University Apts? More autonomy, but just in case you were considering it, I advise against. You get more room to yourself, but personally I would rather be around a bunch of people to make new friends.

UCLA Plug! If you are a UCLA student or in the area and have nothing to do this coming Monday or Tuesday, head over to Northwest Auditorium (near Sproul) to attend the LCC show titled "The Elephant Room"
LCC is the longest running Asian-American theater group in the galaxy (it's called that, but we are multi-cultural!). We have comedy and drama sketches, improv, videos, spoken word, and I think a puppet show last time I checked. And hot women. Doors open at 7, show at 730.
AND IT'S FREE! This is going to be my 10th and last show. Support a fellow Bruin/Niketalker! =)
http://conrobot.blogspot.com/

Yeah, congrats on getting in haha. I guess another piece of advice is to chill with other folks than just bay folk :smile:
smile.gif
*310/510 LA to the Bay*
UCLA Bruins basketball rocks my socks

^
Trojans.jpg
Team49ers

congrats man!! im planning on transferring... im currently attending a cal state tho. hopefully i can get into UCLA.. ill be looking foward to it.. but of the times ive been there. people are nice.. i havnt seen much problems... campus is nice too. you'll love LA. there's a lot of great things around it. enjoy =)

All the people in this thread are very enthusiastic about UCLA. It seems like it left the alumni and current students with a much better experience overall. In the Cal thread I posted, there is absolutely no enthusiasm what so ever. I'm visiting on the 25th and am really looking forward to it.
Silicon Valley
Home to:
Apple - Cisco - EA - eBay - Google - HP - Intel - Oracle - Yahoo!​

^ You'll enjoy the campus when you take the tour. The 25th is a Friday, so you won't see too many students but I'll unfortunately be there (damn discussion and MWF classes). Campus tour groups always go to the toilet looking fountain, which is pretty cool. Enjoy the campus and the anti-'SC stories, like how we dumped manure on tommy trojan.
Team49ers

Back
Top Bottom