UEFA Champions League Leg 2: Arsenal vs. Manchester United (5/5/09, 2:45 ESPN)

Originally Posted by SinnerP

I'm the eternal pessimist... not a done deal... Ars certainly have the ability to score 4 (anyone watch the 'Pool game?), while ManU's D hasn't been as good as it was early in the season. Keepin my fingers crossed.

And take Rooney off! don't need him picking up any yellows.
Stop it. There's no way in he.ll Arsenal even score 2 goals in this match. He.ll, I'm not sure if they're even capable of scoring 1goal.

eek.gif

i overslept again

WOW, what a counter attack! Classic ManU

Carlos, I feel much more better now...

Like i have said all along. Stats is one thing but can you come through in the clutch for your team. Not to say that everyone doesnt choke at a point. (ronaldovs greece euro 04 smh).
Despite if they meet in the final and one outshines the other doesnt mean that one is better than the other. its not like they playing against the same teamand defenders. Its pretty much a stupid argument when both players are so close in skill.

Originally Posted by ILL LEGAL OPERATION

Messi my %!$ - he's the best in the world.
[table][tr][td]2008/09 Statistics[/td] [/tr][tr][td]TEAM[/td] [td]Competition[/td] [td]GS[/td] [td]SB[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]A[/td] [td]SH[/td] [td]SG[/td] [td]FC[/td] [td]FS[/td] [td]YC[/td] [td]RC[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Barcelona[/td] [td]Spanish Primera División[/td] [td]26[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]23[/td] [td]11[/td] [td]112[/td] [td]50[/td] [td]26[/td] [td]80[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Barcelona[/td] [td]UEFA Champions League[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]28[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]21[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Barcelona[/td] [td]Spanish Copa del Rey[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Argentina[/td] [td]Men's Olympic Tournament[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Argentina[/td] [td]World Cup Qualifying - CONMEBOL[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]13[/td] [td]33[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2008/09 Season Totals[/td] [td]50[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]40[/td] [td]17[/td] [td]148[/td] [td]66[/td] [td]45[/td] [td]134[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]0[/td] [/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td]2008/09 Statistics[/td] [/tr][tr][td]TEAM[/td] [td]Competition[/td] [td]GS[/td] [td]SB[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]A[/td] [td]SH[/td] [td]SG[/td] [td]FC[/td] [td]FS[/td] [td]YC[/td] [td]RC[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Portugal[/td] [td]European Championship[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]16[/td] [td]11[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Portugal[/td] [td]World Cup Qualifying - UEFA[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Portugal[/td] [td]European Championship Qualifying[/td] [td]13[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]59[/td] [td]24[/td] [td]16[/td] [td]43[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Portugal[/td] [td]International Friendly[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Manchester United[/td] [td]English Carling Cup[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]16[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Manchester United[/td] [td]English FA Cup[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Manchester United[/td] [td]Premier League[/td] [td]28[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]17[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]166[/td] [td]54[/td] [td]25[/td] [td]73[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Manchester United[/td] [td]UEFA Champions League[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]57[/td] [td]26[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]32[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2008/09 Season Totals[/td] [td]61[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]33[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]328[/td] [td]131[/td] [td]49[/td] [td]166[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]1[/td] [/tr][/table]

^ and what is that proving? because tomorrow if messi doesnt play well the argument will have more fire. Ronaldo has brought man u to where they are now. hisgoals against porto and arsenal are crucial.

To messi's defense, he has shown up on an international level.
to ronaldos defense, Messi has a good international team while portugal lacks a good forward,keeper, and a legit backline.

like i said its a toss up.

WHAT THE HELL!? That was not a red...

EDIT:
Reckless... yes.
A foul... yes
but definitely not worthy of a red.
UEFA should rescind it...

smh.gif
No way was that a red!!!! ....but, I have a feeling that may well get overturned!

I feel sorry for the lad.

Originally Posted by Dat Exclusive Cat

^ and what is that proving? because tomorrow if messi doesnt play well the argument will have more fire. Ronaldo has brought man u to where they are now. his goals against porto and arsenal are crucial.

To messi's defense, he has shown up on an international level.
to ronaldos defense, Messi has a good international team while portugal lacks a good forward,keeper, and a legit backline.

like i said its a toss up.
You can't be serious. Messi has way more goals in less games while taking half the shots Ronnie has taken...AND has more assists, yet you ask"What does that prove?" You may think that taking less shots and having more assists are meaningless stats, however to me it shows that Messi is lessselfish and a better team player than Ronnie.

Ronnie did not bring Man Utd to where they are now in the UCL, he only had 2 goals in 10 games coming into tonight. Messi on the other hand has 8.

It is very difficult to judge players based on arbitrary factors such as clutchness, quality of team mates, level of competition, etc. but the statisticsI've posted show that Messi has had a better STATISTICAL season than Ronaldo.

There's no doubt in my mind that they are the top 2 players in the world, but I think that Messi has been better than Ronaldo THIS season. Tommy Smith evensaid so himself in last week's match.

One more thing...even though I said that it is difficult to measure "clutchness", I think that C. Ronaldo is still unproven in big games and clutchsituations. His 2 goals tonight were pretty much meaningless...Man Utd had a 2-0 lead and the away goal advantage.

Tomorrow Chelsea will stack their midfield and play for a 1-goal win, dont expect Messi to score a double-hat trick.

Tevez:

I can't argue against those numbers, but I can say that there's one category they don't quantify:

Clutch.

When it needs to be done, he does it.

The game was Man U's to win. Horrible display by the gooners. I still hate both teams equally. Ronaldo's blast can be credited to bad positioning byAlmunia. it was a great shot, but c'mon now. 1/2 step to his left.. any decent keeper could have saved that w/ all that time react.

Watching this game around a bunch of Gooners in an English pub made this win so sweet. I flipped out with that freekick.

See you in Rome, Barca

You can't be serious. Messi has way more goals in less games while taking half the shots Ronnie has taken...AND has more assists, yet you ask "What does that prove?" You may think that taking less shots and having more assists are meaningless stats, however to me it shows that Messi is less selfish and a better team player than Ronnie.

Ronnie did not bring Man Utd to where they are now in the UCL, he only had 2 goals in 10 games coming into tonight. Messi on the other hand has 8.

It is very difficult to judge players based on arbitrary factors such as clutchness, quality of team mates, level of competition, etc. but the statistics I've posted show that Messi has had a better STATISTICAL season than Ronaldo.

There's no doubt in my mind that they are the top 2 players in the world, but I think that Messi has been better than Ronaldo THIS season. Tommy Smith even said so himself in last week's match.

One more thing...even though I said that it is difficult to measure "clutchness", I think that C. Ronaldo is still unproven in big games and clutch situations. His 2 goals tonight were pretty much meaningless...Man Utd had a 2-0 lead and the away goal advantage.

Tomorrow Chelsea will stack their midfield and play for a 1-goal win, dont expect Messi to score a double-hat trick.

more goals lesss shots could be his teammates find him better and he doesnt have to create everyhing
more assists could be his teammates finish better. (word to tevez last year final)

If it wasnt for ronnies goal against porto they would not be here AND he SEALED the game today.

you absolutely right, messi stats this season is way better than ronaldo. However what does that mean if he doesnt win ucl? ( since they got la liga locked).
My point being is you can be miroslav klose and score as many goals as you want and have no hardware with it. What will messi's 8 goals mean if they dontgo through tomorrow?
I dont care what tommy smyth says he's a fool plz dont ever quote him again. If you read what i typed youd also realize i didnt say ronaldo is the mostclutch player either. However he did score in the champs league final. On the other side he did miss a penalty at the end. Thats why every year there isusually a different poy. Its not the NBA. Its tough to stay on top in soccer.

What i have been trying to tell people is you cannot sit here and say whose better between messi and ronaldo. Its a stupid argument. If they played in the sameleague then maybe so.

Back
Top Bottom