?uestlove celebrity stories (Last Update PG.6: Benicio D T, Madonna, Rosario Dawson)

laugh.gif
@ Puff staring ?uest down at the bar... Prolly had that blank stupid in the face lip hanging look

Originally Posted by Shaze804

this thread is great

- i had updates for
janet jackson
eric benet
rosario dawson
Michel Gondry
Benicio
madonna
bono

just blaze
de la soul
memphis bleek
amy winehouse
george clinton
jeremy piven
morris day

- but cats stop replying so i stopped updating.

- plus i think cats is slipping on alot of these stories off the headline name alone. alot of the stories invlove other celebs you just gotta read 'em. ishoulda posted this in Music, eh, oh well.....

Originally Posted by The Fresh Sole

anymore or where did you get so i can check out some others

- there's a link to EXACTLY where the stories came from on the 3rd page, posted by EzFlash26 but cats is just skimming through so fast they keep skipping over stuff.

Originally Posted by EzFlash26

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Originally Posted by EzFlash26

Will's house though? wow!
smh.gif
I needed that insipiration...got damn.

?uest is that dude tho
pimp.gif
. His J-Dilla story was
frown.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif
too, made me understand why people feel he's the greatest...

link?

This was posted by ?uestlove a little while ago on the OkayPlayer Message Boards. It's about the creation of the beat for the Black Star track "Little Brother." Enjoy.
there was a small airport in detroit that had direct flights to jersey and nyc that me and com use to take so much i swear they were gonna offer us stock in the business. it was early 1999 and this was before the jet blueitization of america. matter of fact, america looked down on those small companies after one of them crashed some months before. now we take that $#@! like its no thing.

anywho. we got word of a blizzard that was coming to the D and com wanted to take no risks and wanted to leave asap so he could make a show. so that left me dilla and frank of frank n dank.

i decided to stick to my normal schedule and stay til monday when i was scheduled to leave.

com decides to take the sunday afternoon jawn on the fly. of course i say he's overreacting and im proven wrong once there was about 7 inches on the floor a few hours later. frank nitty laughs at me cause now im stuck in the D. we actually make the most of it. ran to blockbuster to stock up on flicks (detroit is the only place on earth street cats will let prince get away with murder so it was nice to rent under the cherry moon without cringing in front of non prince experts. we also rented my new favorite film of all B films Hav Plenty. stocked up on food. and for the first time ever just chilled for 2 days without the prime motivation being "work". but of course that dont mean dilla didn't provide me with the most amazing display of workmanship ive ever seen.

i mean i knew dude was the crazy when skillz let me hear a beat tape.

and i knew dude wasn't right when booty brown played me a precabincalifornia.

and i knew i wouldn't be the same when dangleo and tip played me the ENTIRE fantastic cassette over the phone LONG DISTANCE to germany (my bill was $382 bucks and WORTH EVERY *%$@%*+ CENT)

and i knew i was in for a treat the many times i came to the crib.

and i knew i was witnessing history when him and pete rock re created half of "mecca and the soul brother" in the basement the weekend "dynamite" was created.

but man…..

what i learned eavesdropping 8am the following day made me a believer. that $#@! made me the stan of ALL stans.

if you are on my computer and need to find dilla. go to genre, and if he had something to do with it? it will be known for its tag: DILLA is GOD.

i won't go into reasons why….for it could be longer than this post. and at this rate its just baiting those who disagree or who refuse to see it or who just wanna be contradictory (aka okayplayers lol)

so i heard this bassline playing for like a good 30 mins

http://www.zshare.net/audio/518263498fc20047 (go to 5:07)

initially i was asleep on the couch upstairs so i knew the bassline from pete's interlude. which i thought "oh he's gonna recreate that interlude"

so i came downstairs and asked what he's up to and he was like

(think brotherman on martin)

"…..nuttin…..just….you'know…..zonin…..tryna figure our how to freak this $#@!….i got an idea in my head but i have to figure out how to solve the puzzle…..its gonna come to me….but i got to figure out how…."

so then he plays

http://www.zshare.net/audio/51826522525e45d7/

for like 40 mins straight.

-now this is the first straight up beat i saw him make from scratch. most of the time he just grabs the ram file and blamo the beat is up (day we first met the "got til its gone" parts were already in the machine and he just created "let's start" for tribe so i had missed those)

first thing i notice is his patience factor….when i make beats i play the record on 45 im skipping parts i aint got time to listen to a record over and over and over and over again….

i ask him about this and he said its better to suffer for 30 mins with a record than to skim through the $#@! and next thing you know you hear someone else use a part you coulda freaked better but cause of lack of patience you opted not to.

hmmm novel thought.

so i asked which approach is his gonna take….and he said he wanted to see if there was another juicy part for him to take…

so now we a half hour into it i was like "well…..there are no clean parts…..roy is talking all over that $#@! over and over….its impossible to find a juicy spot."

lol i wonder if he was appeasing me like "you mere mortal do you not know i created heaven and earth in 7 days? muahahahahahaah" in his head.

he just said

"yuuup….pssshhh man…..i dunno how imma freak it"

so he made a cassette copy for his range and we grabbed food before it was time to take me to the airport.

we went to greektown and came back and he decided before he was going to put the record to bed (this aint the first time he gave up on a loop….the breath and stop sample frustrated him so much he gave me the record to which he would reluctantly find something to give to tip on a last minute attempt) so before the airport he decided to record every piece of the song that had 0 talking on it.

so its like…

an hour later and he has made about 20 pads on the 3000 with samples no longer than half a second each.

he even did a "be my guest" and let me get on to see if i could make some chitterlings off the table scraps from the big house.

nothing.

he retired the thought and drove me to the airport.

i got home and he left a message on my machine.

"whoooooooooooooooooooooooo!! yo! i figured it out!!!!"

check it!!!

(this is okp's own JP's version of the beat so you can have a clear idea on how *%$@%*+ impossible it is to find the open spots on this beat)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/51826995d562688a

when i heard it my jaw dropped.

i was speechless. again. to understand dilla you must first immerse yourself in the music that he uses to create beats. and only when you hear this song more than 20 times you will soon see how *%$@%*+ impossible it is to make this beat as a mere person (so what is JP up to by the way?)

then i was like "yo pete is gonna be **%#%* up when he hears THIS $#@!!"

dilla: NONONONONONONONONO!! naw man….you can't let him hear this man i cant afford that!

?uest: afford what? this $#@! is a miracle!!

dilla: nah man….like i dont want no tension. that's my idol i dont wanna give off the impression that im trying to outshine him….

?uest: but dog im saying if you shine then…..

dilla: nah man….

?uest: so all this $#@! i got with samples he's us-

dilla: yeah man dont let that $#@! get out man….i just do it for practice….

?uest: wait….so this beat is never going to see the light of day ever? you just made it and lost sweat over it for…..sport?

dilla: yeah man….i just practice……

thank god…..kweli had a cassette which had this beat on it for like 15 secs.

they looped it from the cassette.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/51826954e6184aac/

but it was too late and he shrugged it off….

but man……that humility.

if i found a way to bust somebodys #%% for the world to see?

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit i be the first to be like

"oh yeah chris? but can you play with drumsticks in yo pinky toe chump?!?!!?!?!?"

my man.

dilla.

Damn son...
pimp.gif
Dilla dawg!!

quest is that dude

i used to read these on okp til that post got so deep that my firefox stalled once i clicked on the topic

good to see them in a more computer friendly format here

dudes don't know what they're missing by ignoring this tho

quest has met more celebrities than people think

I love reading his stuff, you just learn so much from his personal experiences with celebrities and how it gives you an impression of who they are in reallife.
pimp.gif

BLACK DANTE went it I never really knew how deep that song was good post fam I read all of them so far especially that long Pharell one keep them comingappreciated.

Erykah Badu
e is one of the greatest sirens of all time.this is nothing new. i always joke that rapheal sadiq and i joke that we NEVER look her in the eye for more than 5 seconds.
i dont know what it is but erykah is one of the sexiest people of all time.
bob power called me in to drum on "drama" with ron carter for her debut album.
and man....she had me from the whiff of her mango oil.
i knew i was in.
she sat by my feet (ala joss in "fell in love with a boy" video)
and i knew i was in.
she took me to dinner
and i knew i was in.
she brought me a miles davis poster from bleeker bobs
oh yes @%+%$ i was in.
she said "i want you to do a song on my album ill come to your house"
(word?!?!? arhoo?!!)
i rushed home....cleaned that +#+* up....
why?!?!?
i knew i was IN!!!!!
she arrives in philly and .....
the %*+* is tariq doing here?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!
he NEVER comes to my sessions!!!!!
he think he tryna get in!
next night this mofo is cooking?!?!?!? and bringing his food to the studio?!?!?!
he think he in and +#+*!!!!
im asking erykah where her hotel is so i can call a cab for her....
she says "tariq is going out of town for a week so he left me the keys to his apartment"---
awwww HELL NO HE THINK HE IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???
now here comes james' $!# (james is the cat that would ask the teacher for extra homework and a pop quiz in school) talking about "lets make some MORE songs!!!" in the studio after 1 am...
why!?!
oh he think he is getting in......
we done worked for 6 hours already and i think we have a mighty good song in the can ("otherside") why do we HAVE to keep on working?
he thought he was in.
she all rubbing his head and +#+*. and he thinkin (oh yeah im in)
(this 3am recording +#+* will be a mainstay on every erykah album i do--she kidnapped me (made my ex angry as %*+*!) on my near death bed after a show at 4am to record "neck"/"ad 2000"/"booty"/"...and on/"clever"/ and "green eyes" for a marathon swoop in time for me to make my 9am bus call.....i had a barf bucket and i even fell asleep for about 10 seconds and went on autopilot while drumming the last half of ad 2000 (on 2:56 you can hear me abruptly waking up only to drop the stick on a fill that somehow they kept in)--
sure enough.
me being the kang of snoring and all this hair has prompted erykah and james "im in!" poyser to tell the engineer to press record whilst i lay near my drumset and these two fools sing songs of my snoring and my bed head. most of which was for yalls amusement on her "afro" a real time in between songs mess around banter (most of which heavily edited to my happiness) during that week.
the next day
*knock knock knock*
*eddie murphy mr robinson voice) "WHO IS IT?!?!?!?
its yo brother...D!
--now by this point d and i realized we were brothers in arms but not the show up unannounced variety we would demonstrate 2 years later. so this +#+* was a shocker.....but i had my suspicions.
sup man! choo doing here?
"uh you know just uh....thought id come up and say whats up to my brother!"
(yeah ok.....i heard this before)
word?
"yep!...you know....so i hear you working with erykah...."
i knew it.
richmond to philly is a 8 hour drive and NOONE drives 8 hours just to say "whats happening brother"
that entire album we was crossing our ts
dotting our i's
cooking gourmet meals
swiping our credit cards for black erotica books (1992 cats remember that?)
dressing all headwappy
and beads
and candles
and soy
and saatan
and almond milk
and whole foods
and candles
and oils
and what the hell has my life come to?!?! i dont wear purple socks!!!!!!
very very interesting year 96 was.
she had seduced us all.
like that one female cat strutting down the street on tom and jerry and all the alley cats going ape****.
enter andre.
enter hate.

Originally Posted by MrDills

bump fo more

- sure.

- more.......
- dont skip the memphis bleek and george clinton stories.
Just Blaze

this is how i know JB is the +@!!.

we have NONE of the masters to reasonable doubt.

they are lost.

some of them %+!@# were done mixtape style straight to dat (hello primo!)

well...there was NO master to "brooklyn's finest"

blaze said "imma get big's vocals accapella"

i said impossible.

this mofo put it in pro tools and singlehandedly squeezed all the music away---like taking an eraser and getting rid of EVERY element but bigs voice.

i know it aint no celeb scandal +@!! but .....if you are an engineer...you will be more impressed with this entry than you are the will smith story

De La Soul.

in 1999 at electric lady pos called me and told me they were in a bind.

"View" from AOI1 could not get a clear cause the widow who owned the much used "ode to billie jo" (the lauryn "zion" drums for those not in the know)---so they were in an "Atonement" bind (Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa)

this was the day we mastered Voodoo and we all were gonna sit and listen.

so i arrive and suddenly....

a secret service dude tells me "i can't go into there..." i thought it was a joke. i mean IM run! this was MY HOUSE....

all my +@!! was there....i moved into the lady in 97 and stayed there til 2003---did this dude just tell me NOT to go into MY ROOM!?!?

suddenly the studio owner comes RACING DOWN all out of breath:

"ahmir.......so........sorry.......(think the black kid from malcolm in the middle).....but....today was an emergency....i had steve move your drums to studio B.......i asked D already and he okay'd it.......prince needs the A room to play his new album for sony and arista"

--uh....cool...i guess....

pos and i walk the hallway and p summons us

p: hey man....
?: did you just eject me out of my own session?
p: laughs....im sorry it was an emergency....these are the best speakers in new york, i did some parade demos here and even built my personal room with the same developers of the B room.
?: damn then why didn't you take the B room lol?!?.....my bad....this is Pos from de l--
p: i know this cat....his face is starring me down in my hotel room
?: ?!
pos to me: we got a billboard in time square for the gap....thanks man....longtime fan
?: oh by the way....voodoo is done! you need to hear it...d will be here at 7 can you stay?
p: sure....
?: aight....peace.

it takes me about 2 hours to nail that break to the LETTER!

in walks in Dave (trugoy)....

"corey aint hit you up?.....they cleared the sample this morning"

(DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

D was like 5 hours late so P pulled and so did everyone but pos.

but he stayed to hear the album and said....in near tears....

"man that was so worth the wait....if noone feels that.....they have NO soul. and i don't mean rhythm....i mean spirit"

memphis bleek

there is a photo of me getting my beard trimmed backstage in jay's room from his barber on my facebook profile. as this photo was taken i think bleek and em were in the other room at it again. it was bleek, jeeze, their crew. my a&r lenny s was in the room as well and i remember bleek going off on some low on the totem pole minion +@!!

he kept mentioning "we all stuck at the train station and here yall come on the amtrak train passing us by.....back in the day YOU USED TO BE A PLATFORM $%#!%....now you riding Jay's amtrak train.

so i guess this was bleeks verions of telling len s that he changed cause he now on "team j a list"

--it was said as a joke but i can tell there was feelings underneath

soon both len and memph were going toe to toe on who was more "roc" or who was more "down"

"$%#!%...i got the ORIGINAL 12 inch of "get a life" 12 inch with the mispelled credits...

"dude i got two bottles of cristal jay FORGOT to give flex for "$%#!%"

"$%#!% i got the cards from the poker game from the video...."

"dog i got big's tims from "aint no $%#!%" video."

"well i got the fruit baskets from the "feeling it" video campaign"

---i dont know what was more hilarious..

the "whose !++% is bigger game"

or the amenities that were mentioned in the name of promoting the first album

(...."i got the custom roc napkins with all our initials for the mothers day marcy brunch"....i still got the santa beard jay used for "toys of the roc" xmas giveaway" "but i got the ACME bags used to hold the purdue turkeys that jay handed out in 98!"...)

its like "damn....even jay fam knows jay's ebay value round here..."

dont be surprised if you see the cherry stems on ebay in 20 years from the pina coladas served at the wedding reception

amy winehouse

something tells me she knows all that shinanigans is attention getting.

cause that crazy person that be in the press....ive never met that jawn.

matter of fact....this is who i met.

it was black lily day in philly and my computer was in the shop at springboard and i just landed in philly from an atl gig. it was sunday afternoon round 12ish and i double parked to get my jawn out the shop on walnut.

thing was cop made me move and parking was 2 blocks away on locust.

i parked.

got coins.

walked past cvs

walked past brownstones

green light

cross street

bar on corner

deli

laundrymat

amy folding clothes at drier

gas station

turn corner

pre scho---

THE HELL??!?!!?

*turns back....

"aim?.......the hell you doing here?"

i looked and noone was around. security nada....nothing. just her and them damn ballet shoes.

i was weirded out cause in the world of "entertainer acting like joe shmooe" i thought i had that +@!! on lockdown.

i mean EVERY singer i know got a latch who pack they clothes and irons and all the +@!! i do normally. so that shocked the +@!! outta me.

i told her about black lily and i offered her a lift.

she said she'd walk there.

i was like you are amy winehouse walking in the murder capital of the USA ill lift you.

she said "nonsense gimme address"

which of course i just knew was the brushoff.

---sho nuff...

she walked to lily!!!!!!

and performed!!

my man (c) dw/hov

George Cinton

i've seen *that* in my lifetime about 4 times in the flesh.

the first time someone pulled *that* out on me i was chilling with 2 jawns in diego.
next thing i knew, they were on some Robocop +@!! and one chick did a line off another chick.

the second time i seen "that" was a white dude in the streets of san fran right in front of my hotel. like stood right next to me and smoked it!

but the third time?

at the lady.

george: (to me and engineer) "are we allowed to smoke in here?"

"uh....sure?"

(laughs like "this guy is funny, i thought the studio was the place to let loose and do craz-OHMYGODISTHATACRACKPIPE!?!??!!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?)

yo....

its like...

"i "excepted" it.

but...

i was frozen.

i mean the diego jawns sniffed powder.

and the san fran dude was outside and out of his mind.

but am i sitting here about to watch Geo---

oh my god he has rocks in a sandwich bag?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!

i mean am i like "look cigs and weed are cool but you gonna have to go outside to smoke THAT +@!! mayne!"

---and the SMELL!!!!

oh my god!!!

have yall ever been around ANYONE who smokes this +@!!?!?!?!!?!?!?

i took one smell of that stench and cold panicked like "OH GOD I THINK IM ON CRACK NOW"

im like walking briskly up winter filled 6th avenue in a panic. i started out on 8th street.

all in my head i thought "oh god you ****up....you done took a whiff of this crack smoke and now you gone die....

(i was doing the pryor routine in my head

2:12

immgoneDIE
immgoneDIE
immgoneDIE
immgoneDIE
immgoneDIE
immgoneDIE
immgoneDIE aye yo yaaa yaa

immgoneDIE whoa whoa whoa

just calm down ahmir.....your mind is playing tricks on you-----you CANNOT be addicted to crack by smelling the smoke ahmir....turn around and go back.

im reciting the alphabet, my times tables, prince and michael jackson lyrics.

i went to the health store and ordered 3 large wheatgrass drinks

"yeah! wheatgrass that will take the impurities out!!!"

i knew i wasn't high but how did i just walk 9 blocks in 3 mins....

when only crackheads do that?!?!?

meanwhile....30 mins later the cat who actually smoked the +@!! was napping like a newborn baby all peaceful and +@!!.

i smell the +@!! and now I NEED rehab? lol

jeremy piven

this is going to be a hard entry for i cant give too much away.
i will say this much.

my first trip to Prague was something CRAZY
yes men its all you wished for and more.

and its also not uncommon to do a double take and see so and so and such and such oscar actor walking down the block. think of this in sweatshop terms:

you work in america and you GOTTA pay certain wages and sometimes your budget can't handle it.

that's why people ALSO shoot in van, BC; and also TO in canada for you can get the same work done for half the price.---actually some people shoot in mexico cause its dirt cheap down there too.

well in the early 90s mirimax discovered that the best place to shoot period pieces was over in prague. it was cheaper than canada and mexico and it actually provided a great getaway from...."home". (common's "wanted" was shot there)--

you have to understand that places like this (russia included) that have lived under heavy iron curtain rule have just gotten their "freedom" in the last 20. so +@!! like mcdonalds is like a major event over there. so you know a wild saturday party to us and 30 amsterdam clubs is like a sunday afternoon to them.

a black hollywood player's first trip here is the stuff of legend: he called his wife harlem nights style and basically told her he's never coming home. --ive been there twice and he is STILL there---women, drugs, the party all there son.

in short prague is the lil secret hollywood dont want its wives to know about. we be thinking its some castles and robin hood like forests.

nah son.---

if you planning on a trip to holland cause you think you wanna fight for your right to party?

you wanna go to the abyss?

prague.

anywho, when we shot chasing liberty we stayed out there for about 3 days. jeremy was off the chain yo. of course this was pre ari jeremy so we knew him as the #%#%+!* from old school. but money was funny as hell. he still comes to our shows in la and has been a great supporter of the crew.

and that's all i can say.

ha ha ha.

Morris Day

the reunited time played at prince's house on grammy night.

the week after the will smith wall story and the night before dilla passed away.

dave erykah and i went.

while dave sat outside. me erykah wendy suzannah doyle and nikka sat to watch the show.

the time started Girl.

so they do this long shindig skit thang that ive never seen before on previous classic time shows but since the punchlines were so well executed i can only imagine that morris has been doing this as of late in the new version of the group.

jerome does this thing for all the ladies (prince's stage looks like a supper club that holds about 500 when packed. we were about 250.) to Rome is going across the room putting every celeb on the spot:

he started "morris we got ALOT of celebrities in the house!!!!....yeah yeah yeah morris i see....i see.....we got we got gabriel union with her fiiiiiiine self!"......who else we got? we got ......awww man! we got india ire in the house!!!!!.....i also see....aww man! lindsey lohan in the house....

he goes down the list

"mini me!"
"dave chapelle"
"christina agulara"

he's inching to my section and i KNOW what is about to happen and im cringing......

"naomi campbell yall!"
"jamie foxx"
"sheila e.!"
"alicia keys"

(skips me)

"nikka costa!"
"suzannah!"
"wendy!"
"john legazamo!"
"george benson"
"cee lo"
"erykah badu!!"

i woulda actually been cool with it if suzannah didnt tell me my body language had defeat written all over it when he skipped me.

i play it off....

but it did bother me on the low.

he called erykah to come up with them and sing girl (im actually shocked she knew that +@!!.....last time something like that had the potential to crash and burn was when prince pulled alicia from backstage and she didn't know 777....

i went on the tennis court cum cocktail reception area and rapped to dave for a lil and saw ommans of sa-ra defiantly smoking weed. i laughed at his nerve of doing something that p himself would call the cops for.

i also had a second quincy run in.

this time he shook my hand didn't know me from a can of paint.

a minute before i left i gave jimmy jam a pound and then out of the blue morris borderlined quincy'd me

"oh my goodness gracious. if this aint the baddest funkiest cat ever man!!!! give me some dap please!!!"

--i just knew he was talking to robin thicke or something....

then he said "?uest .....show me some love!"

wow!

whew!

we rapped for about 15 mins. he was actually shocked i was up on his skillz as a drummer.
we talked about the songs he played on "wild and loose" "the walk" "the stick"---even some prince joints (i forget what they were) but he a cool cat.

Originally Posted by Uptempo kid

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
@ the George Clinton story

- ay!, this was the part that had me
roll.gif

(laughs like "this guy is funny, i thought the studio was the place to let loose and do craz-OHMYGODISTHATACRACKPIPE!?!??!!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?)

- i got one more update and im done.....

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

These are great. I cant believe i stopped going to OKP for so long. You brought me back.

Back
Top Bottom