Ummm what....? This don't look good....

Subway riders can expect to see in stations Tuesday the installation of special equipment scientists will use as part of an experiment to see how chemical, biological or radiological weapons could be dispersed through the transit system in a terrorist attack, officials said.

The air sampling equipment is being set up by researchers from Brookhaven National Laboratory, accompanied by NYPD officers in all five boroughs. Researchers will be releasing low levels of harmless gases known as perfluorocarbons at several subway and street areas in Manhattan for about 30 minutes in the morning to measure how contaminants could disperse through the underground rail system.

NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly said in a statement that about 200 sampling devices will be set up during the study to take measurements. After about a two-hour period for equipment placement, the study is expected to begin at around 8 a.m. Tuesday. Two more days of research will also take place at later dates this month.

The study is being funded through a $3.4 million grant from the federal Department of Homeland Security, he added.

"The NYPD works for the best, but plans for the worst when it comes to potentially catastrophic attacks such as ones employing radiological contaminant or weaponized anthrax," Kelly said. "This field study with Brookhaven's outstanding expertise will help prepare and safeguard the city's population in the event of an attack."

About 5 million passengers ride the subway system every day in the city, and police and security experts have long recognized its vulnerabilities to attack.

During terror attacks abroad such as the London subway bombings in 2005, police set up roving checkpoints at subway stations to do spot checks of bags and baggage. ___

(c)2013 Newsday

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/09/chemical-weapons-nyc-subway-nypd-gas_n_3564180.html

Looks like their possibly backtracking...or underplaying it now....

Last edited:
Posters Fake, But Study Is Real

NYPD To Study Subway Air Flow Next Month
by Max Jaeger

This poster placed in a subway station may look like an MTA “planned service change” advisory, but it’s actually a sensationalized warning created by the Greywater organization.
This poster placed in a subway station may look like an MTA “planned service change” advisory, but it’s actually a sensationalized warning created by the Greywater organization.
Warning posters popping up in the subway featuring an individual wearing a gas mask are the work of pranksters sensationalizing an airflow study to be conducted by the NYPD and U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) this July, according to officials from the MTA.

While the bills are not MTA-sanctioned flyers, information posted is largely true.

The NYPD will release small amounts of harmless, colorless gas in 21 subway lines throughout the city in July in order to research how air flows through the city’s underground transit network, according to a press release from the NYPD. The study was also reported in the May 2 edition of the Times Newsweekly.

The study, pegged as the largest of its kind, will help researchers better understand the risks posed by airborne contaminents such as chemical, biological and radiological (CBR) weapons, according to a relase from the DOE’s Brookhaven National Laboratory, which is taking part in the study.

The NYPD will use the study’s results to optimize its response to the intentional or accidental release of hazardous, airborne materials.

“The NYPD works for the best but plans for the worst when it comes to potentially catastrophic attacks such as ones employing radiological contaminants or weaponized anthrax,” said Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly in a statement, adding that, “This field study with Brookhaven's outstanding expertise will help prepare and safeguard the city's population in the event of an actual attack.”

The project is formally known as the Subway-Surface Air Flow Exchange (S-SAFE) and was commissioned by the NYPD and funded through a $3.4 million transit security grant from the Department of Homeland Security.

Researchers will release low concentrations of harmless gases known as perfluorocarbons at certain subway and street-level locations over three, non-consecutive days in July. The gas’ dispersion will be tracked by approximately 200 sampling device that will be deployed for the study, according to the NYPD.

Weather conditions will determine which days are chosen for the tests, and the public will be notified one day in advance, according to Brookhaven.

Research will be conducted dur- ing daylight hours in parts of all five boroughs.

Perfluorocarbon tracer gases (PFTs) present no health or environmental hazard, according to a statement from Brookhaven Labs. They are non-toxic, inert, odorless and invisible. They have been used in airflow studies since the 1980s, including a 2005 Urban Dispersion Program conducted in Manhattan, according to a press release from Brookhaven.

The study should have “zero impact on commuting and other public activity,” according to the NYPD.

Members of the public may notice clearly marked boxes containing the air sampling equipment secured in subway stations, on street light poles, and hand-carried by researchers, it was noted.

That can't be real.

There's no way they (MTA) could be this stupid and callous.

I don't believe it. :lol:

Reminds me of the exercises conducted just prior to 9/11 to see if it would be possible to take down two towers with planes.... :smh::rolleyes

This some Onion type story :lol: but even if real :rofl: I ain't surprised how far some ppl would go, stuff like this have been done before.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

yall know dis never gonna happen in

da heightz, da hispanic oasis would never

let this happen. no wonder my jesus piece

is on the way :pimp:

You gotta be kidding me.  I didn't ride the subway while I was there, but I have family that did
mean.gif
.  I hope New Yorkers start another movement, like Occupy, but don't lose focus this time...

too many concurrent scandals...don't even know what to be outraged about now

The NYPD flooded the New York subway system with an odourless, invisible gas today. The simulated terror attack is part of a three-day test that will generate a map of how air flows through the subways, helping emergency responders if a real airborne toxic event ever occurs.

The NYPD is working with Brookhaven National Laboratory, a Long Island-based lab, which will handle the actual dispersion and tracking of the gas. Funded by a $US3.4 million Department of Homeland Security-funded grant, the project will release small amounts of Perfluorocarbon tracers — an odourless, invisible and non-toxic gas — throughout roughly 200 subway stations.

We interviewed Brookhaven’s Paul Kalb, the principal investigator of the study, about the tests back in April. Here’s what he had to say:

The study will show us the worst case scenario. It’ll be a close representation of how particles from a bioweapon or dirty bomb could move through the air. [...] Anything on the surface can get sucked down into the subway through air grates. And likewise, anything on the subway eventually makes its way to the street.

The movement of the PFTs will be tracked thanks to the small, featureless meters installed in select stations this morning. From there, scientists will be able to generate a “plume model” of how gas moves through the complex subway system — a model that could inform how emergency responders act during a real attack.

...between this and the accumulated rat poison, i wouldnt ride the nyc subway tbh

Last edited:
This seems wild. Wouldn't it make more sense to just shut down a certain line, or wtv for 24 hours, or something like that? Also, I don't get it. If there were a chemical attack, would this information really even be that useful? It's going to be mayhem...can't predict how the mayhem will play out.

Back
Top Bottom