Unarmed naked man shot dead by LAPD

I had the pleasure of getting a double wake up call last night/this morning.  The first one was at about 3am when I heard someone outside yelling and screaming.  Fortunately/Unfortunately I didnt get out of bed to look out the window.  The second wake up call was at 530AM this morning by the LAPD banging on my front door, and this is what I woke up to

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?s...geles&id=7897897&rss=rss-kabc-article-7897897

PLAYA VISTA, LOS ANGELES. (KABC) -- An investigation is under way into a fatal officer-involved shooting in the Playa Vista area. Authorities say an officer shot and killed a man during a struggle after he stripped and caused an early morning disturbance.

Residents living near the 5700 block of Crescent Park West said they heard a man yelling and saw him running around outside completely naked at about 3:30 a.m.

The Los Angeles Police Department said the man, identified as Reggie Doucet, took a taxi from Drai's Nightclub in Hollywood to Playa Vista and refused to pay his fare. The taxi driver then called police.

When officers arrived, they saw Doucet naked and jumping on parked cars. Police said he cooperated only long enough to put his boxer shorts back on.

Sgt. Mitzi Grasso said the suspect immediately started fighting with the officers. She said Doucet fled from police and when caught, another fight occurred, at which point one of the officers drew his weapon and fired, killing Doucet.

A witness said she was asleep but was awakened by the sound of somebody yelling outside incoherently.

"They were trying to detain him and then he was trying to flee and then there was a fight -- I could hear a fight -- and then I heard two shots," said witness Monica Vogelbacher.

Doucet's friend Chris Ellison said the former cornerback for Middle Tennessee State University was never violent in the seven years they were neighbors.

"I'm saddened by this because he was such a promising young man. You know, you see a young African American trying to make something better of himself," said Ellison. "He's in front of his house and he's killed by the police. It's kind of disturbing."

Ellison questions why police resorted to using deadly force on a man who wasn't armed.

"From my understanding, he was half naked to show that he was unarmed. So I'm a little perplexed by why different procedures weren't used in subduing him," Ellison said.

Authorities said the two officers involved were taken to an area hospital with minor injuries, with one of the officers inflicted with a sore jaw.

--------------------------------------------------------

It was an absolute zoo this morning.  There had to have been atleast 30-50 cops, my entire side of the street was taped off as were the lobbies of my complex.  I live in a fairly quiet middle-upper class beach community, so this was definitely a shock and completely out of the norm.  I kinda regret not getting up to look out the window, but I'm also glad that i didn't.  The last thing I need haunting my dreams is seeing a man get gunned down.  Correction... the last thing I need to see is a naked man getting gunned down.

Its a damn dirty shame.  My neighborhood is predominantly white and asian, so i wondered if this is another case of white LAPD cops overreacting to an african american man causing a disturbance in a "white" upscale community.  Hopefully more facts come out and we learn more about what exactly went down.

I had the pleasure of getting a double wake up call last night/this morning.  The first one was at about 3am when I heard someone outside yelling and screaming.  Fortunately/Unfortunately I didnt get out of bed to look out the window.  The second wake up call was at 530AM this morning by the LAPD banging on my front door, and this is what I woke up to

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?s...geles&id=7897897&rss=rss-kabc-article-7897897

PLAYA VISTA, LOS ANGELES. (KABC) -- An investigation is under way into a fatal officer-involved shooting in the Playa Vista area. Authorities say an officer shot and killed a man during a struggle after he stripped and caused an early morning disturbance.

Residents living near the 5700 block of Crescent Park West said they heard a man yelling and saw him running around outside completely naked at about 3:30 a.m.

The Los Angeles Police Department said the man, identified as Reggie Doucet, took a taxi from Drai's Nightclub in Hollywood to Playa Vista and refused to pay his fare. The taxi driver then called police.

When officers arrived, they saw Doucet naked and jumping on parked cars. Police said he cooperated only long enough to put his boxer shorts back on.

Sgt. Mitzi Grasso said the suspect immediately started fighting with the officers. She said Doucet fled from police and when caught, another fight occurred, at which point one of the officers drew his weapon and fired, killing Doucet.

A witness said she was asleep but was awakened by the sound of somebody yelling outside incoherently.

"They were trying to detain him and then he was trying to flee and then there was a fight -- I could hear a fight -- and then I heard two shots," said witness Monica Vogelbacher.

Doucet's friend Chris Ellison said the former cornerback for Middle Tennessee State University was never violent in the seven years they were neighbors.

"I'm saddened by this because he was such a promising young man. You know, you see a young African American trying to make something better of himself," said Ellison. "He's in front of his house and he's killed by the police. It's kind of disturbing."

Ellison questions why police resorted to using deadly force on a man who wasn't armed.

"From my understanding, he was half naked to show that he was unarmed. So I'm a little perplexed by why different procedures weren't used in subduing him," Ellison said.

Authorities said the two officers involved were taken to an area hospital with minor injuries, with one of the officers inflicted with a sore jaw.

--------------------------------------------------------

It was an absolute zoo this morning.  There had to have been atleast 30-50 cops, my entire side of the street was taped off as were the lobbies of my complex.  I live in a fairly quiet middle-upper class beach community, so this was definitely a shock and completely out of the norm.  I kinda regret not getting up to look out the window, but I'm also glad that i didn't.  The last thing I need haunting my dreams is seeing a man get gunned down.  Correction... the last thing I need to see is a naked man getting gunned down.

Its a damn dirty shame.  My neighborhood is predominantly white and asian, so i wondered if this is another case of white LAPD cops overreacting to an african american man causing a disturbance in a "white" upscale community.  Hopefully more facts come out and we learn more about what exactly went down.

alien.gif

"I'm saddened by this because he was such a promising young man. Youknow, you see a young African American trying to make something betterof himself,"

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

a young man who's running around naked at 3 am is promising? where are the standards set at these days..regardless RIP

"I'm saddened by this because he was such a promising young man. Youknow, you see a young African American trying to make something betterof himself,"

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

a young man who's running around naked at 3 am is promising? where are the standards set at these days..regardless RIP

Back
Top Bottom