-under 35 wealthy millenials ditching new york by the boatload

I’m a broke old dude so don’t fit into that wealthy millennials criteria

But having lived all my life in queens / manhattan

Getting tired of nyc . Might move to pa or nj soon
I feel u bro i got the f*** outta dodge myself but a quiet spot im starting to slowely hear more heads move to is further north (vermont rhode island new hampshire) hearing its cheaper on the low...alotta heads from the city already/currently flocking to jerz,pa,maryland ...only a matter of time before the prices skyrocket there to

"A majority of the well-heeled millennials headed west to California and Washington state — 3,597 and 1,920, respectively."

"But the West Coast’s booming tech industry is no doubt drawing the Big Apple’s talented techies, according to Levi Sanchez, founder of the Seattle-based financial planning firm Millennial Wealth."

"And workers get to keep a larger share of their earnings than in New York, where they face state and local taxes in addition to what’s owed to Uncle Sam."

“Washington state doesn’t have income tax, which for New York is a big difference,” Sanchez said. “And there’s no income tax in Seattle either.”

All my friends still live in NY. Surprised by that but once they start having kids I can see a bunch going somewhere cheaper.

NYC is an amazing place to live when you are early twenties, but it is not the greatest for settling down. Plus it is so expensive you have to work a lot.

It's not only "rich" millennials, NYC population has been declining for like the past 4 years straight, and I don't blame them.
Place has been on the decline for the better part of a decade, LA/Cali is way better if you have money.

not with da rampant homelessness... Miami all da way up to Boca Raton>*
NYC has a higher homeless population per 100k people than LA and SF
1*3T1jNOSX5CQd6xdG15_-yg.png

source: sfgov.org

Can't speak on NY but homelessness atleast in the East Bay in concentrated in a few places, and even fewer of those sit in areas that are heavy foot traffic (people's park comes to mind).

Rich folk coming to the bay in particular...lots of options to commute from East Bay to SF. You have Oakland/Alameda/El Cerrito/Albany/Richmond which are super close to a BART line. Even better now too with increased ferry services from Vallejo/Richmond/(soon Hercules) straight to Embarcadero. These places are still a bit removed from the Tech culture shift. Still plenty blue collar folk where im staying atm..

From Southbay you obviously have the SJ area and Santa Cruz as popular places to settle if you work in Silicon Valley.

sheltered*

all that navy blue is ya filth urinating/crapping on sidewalks
Higher total homelessness, unsheltered or sheltered per 100k. When you consider how NYC is far less spread out and population dense, you encounter a ton of homeless people even in wealthy areas.

you encounter a ton of homeless people even in wealthy areas.

naw, NYC has been particular of not letting homeless people just fester in areas..we have a vast network of shelters that by law they HAVE to go to, or get arrested.

shoot, da city administration pays homeless people one way tickets outta da city if they got to...ya folks on da west coast got dirty bums setting up tent cities on ya Sidewalks, bringing back Oregon Trail era diseases... 0]

Most of my friends live in Brooklyn and work in Manhattan due to the fields they're in. We're from Long Island and I decided to stick around with the idea of eventually making my way out there. At this point I'm over the idea and they're over living in the city too. I had an epiphany when I was riding my bike a few weeks back that my living situation is too nice right now to give it up in order to live in Brooklyn. I love the beach, love the woods, love being able to own a car, love living in a clean environment, and love peace and quiet.

NYC is great place to party and make money, but the environment definitely fosters burnout.

Yeah..i imagine *most* of the bay area doesn't mandate sheltering homeless people because they won't die in the winter like in NY or alot of East Coast states. Fact is a huge % of homelessness comes from out of state simply because the weather is much more tolerable year out.

Doesn't excuse it but the weather is a huge reason why homelessness is up in the Bay Area

Most of my friends live in Brooklyn and work in Manhattan due to the fields they're in. We're from Long Island and I decided to stick around with the idea of eventually making my way out there. At this point I'm over the idea and they're over living in the city too. I had an epiphany when I was riding my bike a few weeks back that my living situation is too nice right now to give it up in order to live in Brooklyn. I love the beach, love the woods, love being able to own a car, love living in a clean environment, and love peace and quiet.

NYC is great place to party and make money, but the environment definitely fosters burnout.
I tell out of towners who say they wanna move to ny to not fall for the trap... its all a mirage ,good to party in (during the summer) but overall ny of today aint what is was during the 90s

Went to Manhattan last year and was appalled at all the trash I seen on the sidewalks. Reputable businesses leaving trash bags near the curb for hours and hours. Revolting stenches.

They don't have dumpsters there?

tmg-article_default_mobile.jpg

Back
Top Bottom