Let's Turn This Post Into " Upcoming/Recommend A Scary Movie " Thread.

2017 is the year of unoriginality. Excuse me, the year of remakes, reboots and sequels. When you see how many of the marquee releases slated for next year aren’t original films, you’re going to be stunned. Really, it’s kind of hard to believe the lineup. Sure, we’ll see plenty of new indies and foreign flicks pop up, but that doesn’t erase the planned calendar year as it stands, which is just riddled with familiar titles. Some you may not care to invest in. Some you may. Either way, we’re here to make sure you know what horror movies to look out for in 2017!

Underworld: Blood Wars (January 6, 2017)

View media item 2200120
Underworld Bloodwars

Amityville: Awakening (January 6, 2017)

View media item 2200121

Amityville: The Awakening Promo

With Franck Khalfoun behind the camera, interest is higher in the Amityville franchise than it’s been since the 2005 remake. While I wasn’t crazy about Andrew Douglas’ remake (which really didn’t add, build upon or improve any element of the original), Khalfoun’s film is an entirely different story. If you’re not familiar with Khalfoun, you should be: he’s the genius who directed the disconcerting Maniac remake and the creepy Christmas flick P2. He’s a talented gent and we’re thinking this might be the best Amityville film that wasn’t released in 1979.

Belle, her little sister, and her comatose twin brother move into a new house with their single mother Joan in order to save money to help pay for her brother’s expensive healthcare. But when strange phenomena begin to occur in the house including the miraculous recovery of her brother, Belle begins to suspect her Mother isn’t telling her everything and soon realizes they just moved into the infamous Amityville house.

The Bye Bye Man (January 13, 2017)

View media item 2200123

The Bye Bye Man

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (January 27, 2017)

View media item 2200125

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter Still

The Resident Evil franchise began feeling as though it had run its cinematic course around Resident Evil: Extinction. After that Paul W.S. Anderson just said screw horror fans in general, and screw zombie fans, we’re turning the franchise into a full-on science fiction story with a whole lot of ideas that feel absurdly disjointed and a major neglect of the undead! The franchise hasn’t been shining too bright in recent years but we’re really, really hoping that Anderson actually incorporates at least a little bit of horror in what is – at this point – planned as the final (until Hollywood remakes the first flick in 2019) film in what started as a horror story before morphing into… something else.

Picking up immediately after the events in Resident Evil: Retribution, humanity is on its last legs after Alice is betrayed by Wesker in Washington D.C. As the only survivor of what was meant to be humanity’s final stand against the undead hordes, Alice must return to where the nightmare began – Raccoon City, where the Umbrella Corporation is gathering its forces for a final strike against the only remaining survivors of the apocalypse. In a race against time Alice will join forces with old friends, and an unlikely ally, in an action packed battle with undead hordes and new mutant monsters. Between regaining her superhuman abilities at Wesker’s hand and Umbrella’s impending attack, this will be Alice’s most difficult adventure as she fights to save humanity, which is on the brink of oblivion.

Rings (February 3, 2017)

View media item 2200126

Rings

The Dark Tower (February 17, 2017)

View media item 2200128

The Dark Tower Still

It’s almost hard to believe that Stephen King’s sprawling series The Dark Tower is actually getting the big screen treatment, but we’re excited to see it happen! The story itself is absolutely nuts and travels the genre gamut, so don’t expect a pure horror film. However, that probably won’t be all too relevant as we’ll get some horror, some fantasy, some action and of course, a gnarly adventure. It should also be awfully amazing seeing Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey standing opposite one another.

Gunslinger Roland Deschain roams an Old West-like landscape in search of the dark tower, in the hopes that reaching it will preserve his dying world.

Get Out (February 24, 2017)

View media item 2200129

Get Out

Kong: Skull Island (March 10, 2017)

View media item 2200130

Kong: Skull Island Promo

If it’s King Kong, we’re in. This is one of the biggest, baddest and most established genre icons in existence and there are a wealth of story options with this one. The red hot Tom Hiddleston fronts the flick which only adds an additional layer of intrigue.

An action/adventure story centered on King Kong’s origins.

Annabelle 2 (May 19, 2017)

View media item 2200131

Annabelle 2 Promo

While I didn’t hate Annabelle, I didn’t love it. I did however forget it, rather quickly. Having not seen the film since its theatrical arrival, I couldn’t tell you one single detail of the story, other than the obvious involvement of the titular doll. That leaves me hopeful for Annabelle 2, as David F. Sandberg is a filmmaker who just might be on the cusp of truly breaking out. His feature length adaptation of his own uber-chilling short, Lights Out is headed our way this summer, and if Lights Out impresses, well, we’ll all likely be far more inclined to expect something impressive from Annabelle 2.

A collector purchases Annabelle from a second hand store in her state to use as parts and original material for her similar cared for dolls. The woman then passes away and her huge doll collection and estate is inherited to her only daughter of 2 children and her husband whom are going through financial hardship.

Dark Universe: The Mummy (June 9, 2017)

View media item 2200133

Dark Universe: The Mummy (June 9, 2017)

World War Z 2 (June 9, 2017)

View media item 2200134

World War Z 2 Poster

Unpopular opinion of the day: I couldn’t even begin to enjoy World War Z. The CGI was so absurdly bad I kept expecting Will Smith to sprint across the screen being trailed by one of those comical things we saw in I am Legend. The damn movie looked more like a PS3 game than a film, to these eyes. All the same, the film, and the novel in which it’s based are both immensely popular projects, and World War Z 2 is likely to draw flocks of fans to cinemas. Any financially successful genre film is a win for horror as a whole, so I can’t complain too much – and I do understand the excitement – about World War Z 2.

Alien: Covenant (August 4, 2017)

View media item 2200136

Alien: Covenant (August 4, 2017)

Flatliners (August 18, 2017)

View media item 2200137

Flatliners (August 18, 2017)

Flatliners is one of the creepier flicks to crawl out of the 90s, therefore it was only a matter of time before someone decided it needed to be remade. Well, that remake will arrive next year and we’re neither optimistic nor pessimistic; we’re just curious!

Medical students experiment on “near death” experiences that involve past tragedies until the dark consequences begin to jeopardize their lives.

It (September 8, 2017)

View media item 2200135
It Remake in 2017

It’s beginning to look like we may actually get to see the big screen reboot of Stephen King’s It happen. It’s been discussed so long we were certain this one was lost in Purgatory, but we’re juiced that it seems to be moving forward, finally. Things won’t be the same without the great Tim Curry, but the original made-for-TV piece has aged quite poorly, so we just might see something special from Andrés Muschietti… assuming he doesn’t let his obvious affinity for computer generated imagery (he massacred the super, super promising Mama by drenching the film in ugly visual effects) get the best of the production.

In the Town of Derry, the local kids are disappearing one by one, leaving behind torn body parts/remains. Soon afterwards, in a place known as ‘The Barrens’, a group of seven kids are united by their horrifying and strange encounters with a clown called Pennywise, which they all share, but one kid, Bill Denborough, has a more personal vendetta with the clown. 27 years after their last encounter together with Pennywise, the ‘Losers Club’ has regrouped from their successful lives and businesses by Mike Hanlon,the only member of the Losers Club that stayed in Derry, because IT has returned, and kids are disappearing again. The only problem is that they have all forgotten what occurred that summer. But through a blood oath, they return. It’s up to The Lucky Seven to regain their memories, to think of the key to killing Pennywise, and to stay alive long enough to end his tyranny but to also realize what brought them together in the first place.

Friday the 13th (January 13, 2017) October 13, 2017

View media item 2200138

Another Friday the 13th

We’re still waiting on a plot crunch (and a cast list, a director credit, a… well, we’re basically waiting for everything other than a planned release date) for the upcoming Friday the 13th film. Perhaps we’ll get that trip back in time to the early 80s to see some of Jason Voorhees’ earlier work as a machete wielding supernatural force and perhaps we’ll see a story that follows Ma. Whatever happens, we’re hoping for the best and expecting the worst. You know, just to avoid any potential let down.

Insidious: Chapter 4 (October 20, 2017)

View media item 2200139

Insidious Chapter 4 Promo

Typically I’d be writing off a fourth franchise installment before a fourth franchise installment was even conceived of, but Insidious: Chapter 3 surprised the hell out of me, and, in my opinion, was far superior to Chapter 2. That means there’s a legitimate chance that Insidious: Chapter 4 actually impresses. Leigh Whannell once again writes while the promising Adam Robitel will look to continue his directorial success, following up on the surprise sleeper The Taking of Deborah Logan.

Wrong Turn 7 (Teased October Release)

View media item 2200141

Wrong Turn 7

Suspiria (TBA)

View media item 2200142

Suspiria Remake 2017

Remember when I said 2017 was the year of the remake/reboot/sequel? By this point in the list you’re probably realizing I really, really wasn’t hurling BS in your direction. Nearly every high profile film slated for arrival next year is either a remake, a reboot or a sequel. In fact, 17 (by my count) of the 20 films on this list qualify. That’s kind of absurd. It’s actually rather embarrassing and certainly supports the general voice that echoes cries of a dearth in originality when related to the genre. I suppose all we can do is hope for the best. This one is considered sacred for good reason, which feels like it spells bad news for director Luca Guadagnino, but we’ll see if he’s got what it takes to live up to a prime Dario Argento. Big shoes.

A young ballet dancer travels to a prestigious dance academy in Europe, only to discover it is a front for something far more sinister and supernatural amidst a series of increasingly grisly murders.

Death House (TBA)

View media item 2200143

Death House Still

Death House is a horror fans less-than-dry dream. Want to know why? Check out the lineup – it’s going to more than convince you: Adrienne Barbeau, Kane Hodder, Tony Todd, Dee Wallace, Barbara Crampton, Sid Haig, Michael Berryman, Bill Moseley, Felissa Rose, Tiffany Shepis, Debbie Rochon and Bill Oberst Jr. The Expendables of horror? Yeah, we’re just hoping it’s a bit better than the shockingly dull Expendables flicks.

Two federal agents fight their way through nine levels of Hell inside a secret prison known as the Death House. A facility-wide prison break turns their flight into a tour of horrors as they push toward the ultimate evil housed in the lowest depths of the earth.

Saw: Legacy (TBA)

View media item 2200140
Saw: Legacy Promo

We really haven’t seen any firm announcements on the release date of Saw: Legacy, and it wouldn’t be an entire mind blower if it managed to find itself entirely scrapped (very few actually seem to want to see the 47th Saw flick), but for now there are heavy rumors that it will be made and that it will be released in 2017. There’s a small part of me missing that booger Jigsaw, and that’s the small part of me pulling for the film.

Hellraiser: Judgement (TBA)

View media item 2200144

Hellraiser: Judgement Promo

Hellraiser: Judgement is probably the greatest question mark on this list. The Hellraiser franchise hasn’t been all too stimulating in about 25 years (not a joke), but for the first time in what feels like forever, there’s a man with a major passion for the brand at the helm. This is a serious labor of love for director Gary J. Tunnicliffe, who’s bringing along Heather Langenkamp for some fun.

Detectives Sean and David Carter are on the case, to hunt down a gruesome serial killer terrorising the city. Joining forces with Detective Christine Egerton, they dig deeper into a spiralling maze of horror that may not be of this world. Could the judgement awaiting the killer’s victims also be waiting for Sean?

Jeepers Creepers 3: Cathedral (TBA)

View media item 2200145

Jeepers Creepers 3 Promo

Victor Salva’s past has yet again surfaced as a troubling point for a production. At this stage it’s a little lame; the guy makes two or three lower key but on-the-radar films and no one has a problem or makes so much as a peep about it. The second he approaches the Jeepers Creepers franchise it’s suddenly 1988 again and Salva molested a 12-year old boy yesterday. Look, I’m not saying he’s a good guy, and I’m not saying we need to pretend he has no criminal history whatsoever. What I am saying, is that damn near 30 years have passed since Salva had a run-in with the law. It’s possible the dude is actually reformed. If he commits any form of sexual crime again, string his *** up, by all means. If he doesn’t, let the damn guy make a living without bringing up an incident three decades old. He served time in prison, he hasn’t been so much as accused of, let alone arrested or prosecuted for any crime since. Let’s just get through the Jeeperc Creepers 3 production without having to read another thousand articles about the guy’s disgusting hobbies of the 1980s.

Trish Jenner is now a mother of a teenage son named Darry, named after the brother she lost 23 years ago. Trish has a recurring nightmare where her son suffers the same fate as her brother did, killed by the Creeper. Determined to prevent this from happening, Trish, who is now a rich and powerful woman, sets out on a final quest with Jack Taggart Sr. and Jr. to end the Creeper’s reign of terror once and for all.

Chucky 7 (TBA)

View media item 2200146

Chucky 7 Promo

Don Mancini’s been teasing the newest Child’s Play film for months and we’re excited, especially since it picks up after the events of Curse of Chucky, one of the absolute best of the franchise. We’ve got a synopsis for you below, but it doesn’t matter much; if you’re onboard with Chucky, you know and love what you’re getting into!

Chucky returns after the events of Curse of Chucky to continue terrorizing his wheelchair-prone human victim, Nica. Meanwhile, the killer doll has some scores to settle with his old enemies, with the help of his former wife.

Mom and Dad (TBA)

View media item 2200147

Mom and Dad Still

What do we know about Mom and Dad? We know that action director Brian Taylor is once more teaming up with Nic Cage (these two made Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance together) and we know this time they’ll terrorize children. Sounds horrifying!

A teenage girl and her little brother must survive a wild 24 hours during which a mass hysteria of unknown origins causes parents to turn violently on their own kids.

Children of the Corn: Runaway (TBA)

View media item 2200148

Children of the Corn: Runaway Promo

You’re probably wondering why I’d even bother to list this. There’s a good reason and his name is John Gulager. For those that don’t know, Gulager directed the insanely fun Feast trilogy (he also directed Piranha 3DD). I got a major, major kick out of those flicks, and I suspect Gulager will bring something slightly refreshing to this corpse of a franchise.

We’re still waiting on a plot crunch, but I’ll bet you money it involves kids killing off anyone old enough to buy a six pack.

Corbin Nash (TBA)

View media item 2200149

Corbin Nash Still

Production was slated to begin filming in late March, and although we haven’t seen or heard much of the film in months, we’re optimistic that things have gone smoothly (there are a few production stills out there, so shooting has most certainly occurred) for Ben and Dean Jagger’s revenge genre piece. The flick sounds crazy and it’s got an awesome cast that includes Corey Feldman (who plays a cross dressing vampire named Queeny), Malcolm McDowell, Rutger Hauer and Bruce Davison. We’re curious!

A rogue NYPD cop transfers to Los Angeles in search of his parents killer, where he is murdered only to be reborn the ultimate killer.

Halloween

View media item 2200150

Halloween 2017 Promo

What do we know about Blumhouse’s new Halloween film? It’s scheduled for an October 2017 release, John Carpenter will be heavily involved in the production and he may very well score the film with his son Cody Carpenter. John wants to take the series back to its dark, mysterious roots, all explanations and subplots cast aside. We like that idea!

The Dark Tapes (2017)

View media item 2200152

The Dark Tapes (2017)

Forgot there was a new SAW movie in production :smh:

Insidious seems to have a pretty strong following along with critics on its side. What is the series about?

They're remaking Flatliners? Damn.

One of my guilty pleasure films. Hope Sutherland has some creative realm on it.

Last edited:
4c8cc30e_hollywood-shuffle-o.gif

aliens: covenant is looking promising, but please be better than Prometheus (which i still enjoyed)

Forgot there was a new SAW movie in production :smh:

Insidious seems to have a pretty strong following along with critics on its side. What is the series about?

Saw is what im most hyped about., Insidious is cool, i heard people didnt like the 3rd one

Basically about a devil tormenting different families and stuff

Wanna see some new stuff. Last insidious was a joke. Ready for them to make something that will leave me shook walking out the theater instead of laughing at how corny it was :smh:

Still making Wrong Turn movies :rofl:

They took too damn long on Jeepers Creepers 3 :smh:

my body is so ready. Horror flicks are my ****. I'm hella hyped for a lot of those. Hopefully I'll find at list one joint on that list that's scary.

Last edited:
This was a decent year for original ideas,looks like it's back to a lot of remakes and sequels next year...Few things on that list I'm pumped for.

Back
Top Bottom