UPDATE PAGE 2- Knee injury...... Med Students? General thoughts here?

Guys,

Two weeks ago i had a sharp pain while back squatting in my left knee... I immediately pushed up with opposite leg and threw bar.

I can walk and bend knee fine.. Only hurts with lateral movement / squatting

-DAY 1  DR #1 says IT band sprain

- DAY 7 DR #2 says lateral meniscus tear

- Day 12 Physical therapist says a bone may have popped out and back in (tibia

or fibula .. cant remember)  

- Day 13 Took an X Ray... Negative, no fractures

-  Day 16 Physical Therapist is surprised that the pain still feels exactly the same and says it may be a cartilage tear

The pain strikes where the Fibula meets the Tibia and like i said Only hurts with lateral movement / squatting.. I can jog lightly... Fully extend and flex leg/knee with no pain.. no pop/locking etc.. 

I have to go through 4 weeks of physical therapy before my insurance will approve an MRI (SO WACK) 

If there is anyone here who works in the field i would appreciate any thoughts.

thanks all. 

Sucks to hear about the injury man, but at least you're being proactive about it. From the looks of it, you've seen 2 docs with differing opinions yet only had 1 diagnostic test--the x-ray, which tells you it's not skeletal. As for what they're telling you, it might be any of those. But without hard evidence, they're just speculating so I'd take all that with a grain of salt, which it sounds like what you're doing. 

From what your options are, I'd say do the 4 weeks of PT and rest, ice, compress, etc. If your knee is still hurting, that'll be prime time for the MRI and you'll be able to move forward with more information. Also, you've probably done this, but make sure the docs that you're seeing are sports medicine docs or orthopedic docs who typically see patients with knee injuries. If you can and your insurance will pay for it, check out a university hospital that is affiliated with a sports program, as they've probably dealt with an active population that's presented with similar knee injuries. 

You absolutely need an MRI but basically I'm 90% positive you have a torn meniscus. Doctors will give you 3 options:

1: You can try and rehab it by going on crutches/ knee bracing it, icing, and taking NSAIDS. The hope is that by staying off of it, after a few months it will heal up on its own. If pain during certain movements is the only issue and nothing mechanically wrong (movement wise), than this is not a bad idea.

2: Get a surgical repair of the meniscus. If the tear is in the red zone of the meniscus, they might recommend basically stitching it up, because that part of the meniscus has decent blood flow and will heal up pretty well. The recovery time for this though is like 6 months non-weight bearing then PT afterwards. Very time consuming. If the tear lies deeper into the meniscus (white zone) that leads you to option 3....

3: Meniscectomy. Doctors will surgically remove some, or even all of the meniscus. 20 minute surgery, pretty quick recovery time (2 weeks - 3 months).

Basically you need to have an MRI immediately. 4 weeks is far too long to go through that much pain. Get a second opinion from another doctor and stress to him how difficult it is to go about daily chores. Tell them you can barely walk or your knee is locking up. Locked up knee requires immediate surgery to function day to day and insurance companies will speed that up pretty much instantly trust me.

You absolutely need an MRI but basically I'm 90% positive you have a torn meniscus. Doctors will give you 3 options:

1: You can try and rehab it by going on crutches/ knee bracing it, icing, and taking NSAIDS. The hope is that by staying off of it, after a few months it will heal up on its own. If pain during certain movements is the only issue and nothing mechanically wrong (movement wise), than this is not a bad idea.

2: Get a surgical repair of the meniscus. If the tear is in the red zone of the meniscus, they might recommend basically stitching it up, because that part of the meniscus has decent blood flow and will heal up pretty well. The recovery time for this though is like 6 months non-weight bearing then PT afterwards. Very time consuming. If the tear lies deeper into the meniscus (white zone) that leads you to option 3....

3: Meniscectomy. Doctors will surgically remove some, or even all of the meniscus. 20 minute surgery, pretty quick recovery time (2 weeks - 3 months).

Basically you need to have an MRI immediately. 4 weeks is far too long to go throu

gh that much pain. Get a second opinion from another doctor and stress to him how difficult it is to go about daily chores. Tell them you can barely walk or your knee is locking up. Locked up knee requires immediate surgery to function day to day and insurance companies will speed that up pretty much instantly trust me.

He says above that there is no locking. I would also say request the MRI

Basically you need to have an MRI immediately. 4 weeks is far too long to go throu

gh that much pain. Get a second opinion from another doctor and stress to him how difficult it is to go about daily chores. Tell them you can barely walk or your knee is locking up. Locked up knee requires immediate surgery to function day to day and insurance companies will speed that up pretty much instantly trust me.

He says above that there is no locking. I would also say request the MRI

That's what I'm saying. You gotta lie and tell them it locks up every now and then. 4 weeks of PT before he can even get an MRI? Then if he needs surgery, 2 weeks plus just to schedule it. I don't play that game with my DRs. If I think I have serious probs, I get the MRI first thing, if they tell me to wait, I go to another doctor and get what I want

Ultimately you won't know until you get the MRI done. However, stop squats and any type of exercise that reproduces the symptoms immediately. I would definitely go light on legs or stop doing it all together (outside of PT) until you get an official diagnosis. I'm leaning towards the lateral meniscus tear as well, or possible LCL tear. The good news is since you have full ROM, don't have any knee locking, or knee giving away sensation, it should be a minor tear in the "red zone" as calibeebee mentioned; this means you may not need surgical intervention because of the sufficient blood flow. Ice it, rest it, elevate it, and compress it until you can get an MRI. My question is how can a physical therapist treat something that they aren't even sure whats going on? It would make sense for a MRI to get done and base the treatment plan on the diagnosis. That's backwards.

Just rest your knee for a bit and rock knee sleeves when you squat

Oh, and fix your form breh - Don't ego lift 
indifferent.gif

Good luck. My left patella bone's been sore for months and I'm finally seeing a doctor next week. Mine only hurts though when I squat or put heavy weight on it. I've tried plenty of rest and when I play bball, I wear that patella strap and I always ice it after, but the damn bone is always just so sore when I touch it.

Used the foam roller on my entire legs too and still no pain relief :smh: I hope its nothing too crazy.

Last edited:
When you felt the sharp pain did you hear/feel a pop? That's what happened to me when I tore my medial meniscus a few months ago. However, if your range of motion is normal and extension is fine then that might not be what it is.

@calibeebee  broke it down pretty well, but if it is a meniscal tear that does not require repair and only a small removal then you'll only be out around 8 weeks.

Like others have said, try and find out what it is ASAP. I was limping around for a month before I finally found out what was wrong and that only prolonged my rehab time. See if there's any way around that four week physical therapy.

Last edited:
A few questions...

How much do you weigh?
How much were you squatting?
Did you warm up before squatting?
Do you have good mobility to go parallel or ATG?

A few questions...

How much do you weigh?
How much were you squatting?
Did you warm up before squatting?
Do you have good mobility to go parallel or ATG?

5 reps

160/180/200/225   (felt pain at 225)  - 1Rm is like 285-290

We spend 10-15 min sretching/warming up everyday 

yes we spent months on form, i have never had an issue before

Good luck. My left patella bone's been sore for months and I'm finally seeing a doctor next week. Mine only hurts though when I squat or put heavy weight on it. I've tried plenty of rest and when I play bball, I wear that patella strap and I always ice it after, but the damn bone is always just so sore when I touch it.

Used the foam roller on my entire legs too and still no pain relief
mean.gif
I hope its nothing too crazy.
I was recommended a patella strap by my PT but i dont want to go the rest of my life using one  

When you felt the sharp pain did you hear/feel a pop? That's what happened to me when I tore my medial meniscus a few months ago. However, if your range of motion is normal and extension is fine then that might not be what it is.

@calibeebee  broke it down pretty well, but if it is a meniscal tear that does not require repair and only a small removal then you'll only be out around 8 weeks.

Like others have said, try and find out what it is ASAP. I was limping around for a month before I finally found out what was wrong and that only prolonged my rehab time. See if there's any way around that four week physical therapy.
No pop with the pain, no locking either 

Nothing showed on an x-ray so an MRI is the next step. Idk what sort of backwards place you live in but I can get an MRI whenever I want for whatever reason I want.

The fact you have to wait 4 weeks is ridiculous. Your family doctor is your best bet to pressure for an MRI.

Either way it's important that you get the MRI asap.

Last edited:

Used the foam roller on my entire legs too and still no pain relief :smh: I hope its nothing too crazy.

I was recommended a patella strap by my PT but i dont want to go the rest of my life using one  

I've been using a patella band and sometimes an actual brace when I play ball and I never really thought it made a difference. Over the years, I've just grown used to wearing one but even when I play without it, I feel no difference before or after.

Guys,

Two weeks ago i had a sharp pain while back squatting in my left knee... I immediately pushed up with opposite leg and threw bar.

I can walk and bend knee fine.. Only hurts with lateral movement / squatting

-DAY 1  DR #1 says IT band sprain
- DAY 7 DR #2 says lateral meniscus tear
- Day 12 Physical therapist says a bone may have popped out and back in (tibia
or fibula .. cant remember)  
- Day 13 Took an X Ray... Negative, no fractures
-  Day 16 Physical Therapist is surprised that the pain still feels exactly the same and says it may be a cartilage tear

The pain strikes where the Fibula meets the Tibia and like i said Only hurts with lateral movement / squatting.. I can jog lightly... Fully extend and flex leg/knee with no pain.. no pop/locking etc.. 

I have to go through 4 weeks of physical therapy before my insurance will approve an MRI (SO WACK) 

If there is anyone here who works in the field i would appreciate any thoughts.

thanks all. 

I'm a physical therapist.

1. Where in the left knee do you have the pain?
2. Did it start to hurt on the descent of the squat, or that ascent?
3. Does it hurt when you extend or bend the knee?
4. Have you had this injury before? Have you had a previous hip, knee, or ankle injury and/or surgery?

So far, it sounds tendinitis of the lateral hamstrings where it connects to the top of the fibula.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom