UPS Shipping + Customs Question

Joined Jan 22, 2006
greetings my fellow cdn NTers,

quick question for you, I want to order some clothing from the US and they will ship via UPS. Anyone know how much approximately UPS charges to bring it across the border/how much i should expect to pay in duties (or is it the same thing)

Value of items is approx: 50-100 USD.

thanks

or anyone have experience having something shipped from the US via UPS? did you ahve to pay extra taxes/duties or anything?

Joined Jun 24, 2004
I haven't order in about a year...but last time I did was about 15 dollars for a pair of $120 kicks.

TEAM PS3
PLAY B3YOND

Joined Oct 5, 2004
it'll vary depending on your luck, sometimes you may not have to pay anything other times, it'll be like 20 percent.
karmaloop repcode: JU10702 <-----20%off

karmaloop rep code: JU10702 <--20%off

Joined Nov 29, 2005
UPS? ur F'd.

I got a package, 110usd, was hit with like 70$

Its the GST + PST of ur item, converted into cdn dollars. + like $24 for brokerage fees.

You might get lucky with the $60 gift allowance.

UPS is ******ed.

Joined Sep 22, 2007
i got 4 pairs of jordans....form cali...marked as a gift...via usps....212 taxes......I paid but issued an appeal..its bulls*t

Joined Nov 18, 2006
UPS is some crooks.....got charged almost 60 buks on a $200 pair of shoes marked as a gift...some brokerage fee and taxes on top of that...USPS not probs at all...DHL surprisingly good had 2 pairs shipped from Europe and didnt have to pay anything!

Brown can't do anything for me...

Joined Jul 23, 2007
FedEx sucks too, they charged me $50 for some $130 shoes, and as many stores, they didn't mark as gift as it's illegal

Canadapost x USPS FTW :D
TEAM-AF-ONE
x​
TEAMKINGKOOPA
x​
TeamWolfShirts

Joined Feb 11, 2001
I JUST called UPS yesterday about a package as well, the nice lady gave me a breakdown:

Declared value:

$0-20 -> $0 UPS brokerage fee
$20-40 -> $7 (brokerage fee) + $5.85 (bond fee) + $4.25 (COD - delivery person's fee), which roughly = $17 pre any applicable PST/GST

Then there's another bracket for I think $40-100 but at least I ain't gonna declare anything over $40 if I go with UPS so I didn't bother finding out.

On top of that, Canadian customs will tack on any customs charge they deem necessary on top of UPS fees so I can see why people are getting robbed.

The smart thing to do is have the shipper declare the package as gift with a value of say $15 or ship USPS to avoid any custom brokerage fees. As if it's not bad enough peeps are still paying 1:1.3~ 1:1.5 (US:CDN) price levels, outrageous sales AND import taxes, EVERYONE just wants mucho $$$ at our expenses.

This stuff is almost like the exact opposite of the lottery, instead of a random (supposedly) chance of you winning some money, you get a random (sometimes not so random) chance of you definitely losing some money.

Joined Jan 22, 2006
thx for the info everyone :smile:
juschiang

I think you can avoid the bond fee, if you get your brokerage fee into UPS before your shipment crosses the border. My package should be crossing tmr :\
i should call them ask
hopefully customs wont kill me.

Top Bottom