Urban movies of the 90s

Was talking to my bro about Blockbuster & somehow started talking about the urban film renaissance we had during the 90s
Started to name our favorites & I started to wonder which ones I'd forgot about.
Post some of your favorite urban movies from the 90s & before
21046115_20131002161845128.jpg

51BAAQFFX2L.jpg

91VO6Gkqd-L._SY445_.jpg

I remember hitting up blockbuster as a youngin in the mid-late 90s and seeing the stream of Urban flicks. Some of my favorites:
Menace to Society
Boyz n da Hood
Don't be a Menace
Juice
Above the Rim
Mo Money
Fresh
New Jersey Drive
Sunset Park
Dangerous Minds

And many more I'm sure I'm forgetting.

You know what's crazy, I watched Tales From The Hood a few nights ago. Watching that movie as a kid and now as grown man you see the hidden messages in it. It was low budget and all that but that was like Get Out before Get Out. It had that same horror/comedy feel. The police brutality story, the racist politician, gang violence. Movie was deep when you look back.

House Party 1-3 are appreciated. Used to watch them when they'd come on the basic cable channels lol. Back when people still bought those TV Guide mags I thought Kid n Play was the short description for the movie and not the names of the rappers haha.

Does Bad Boys count?

Candyman was a good horror urban movie too.

There was also Higher Learning.

You know what's crazy, I watched Tales From The Hood a few nights ago. Watching that movie as a kid and now as grown man you see the hidden messages in it. It was low budget and all that but that was like Get Out before Get Out. It had that same horror/comedy feel. The police brutality story, the racist politician, gang violence. Movie was deep when you look back.

giphy.gif

cliche?

boyz-n-the-hood-movie-poster-1991-1010189758.jpg

i watched this last year in the context of an african american studies class at my university and came out with a new appreciation for it.

MV5BMjE2MDYxMzI0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTU3NzYyMQ@@._V1_UY268_CR4,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Saw this the day I "graduated" middle school. Brother had it in his bed room just laying around and I wanted a break from Fight Night. **** was so surreal at the moment especially when I noticed **** from the movie occurring in my high school life. Some others
MV5BNjM5ZWIxM2QtYmU1ZS00MDJiLThmNmYtNjFjZDUzZjcxYmQxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjExODE1MDc@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

latest

love-and-basketball-poster.jpg

:lol:Alot of these had the same actors

Back
Top Bottom