*USA Basketball* WOMEN EARN GOLD v. ESP (101-72)! MEN EARN GOLD v. SRB (96-66)!

remember when Luther Head made the team in 2008?
laugh.gif

2010 doesn't really count because they went back to college kids, but still... There have been other groups that have been brought together in the summer (2009) when there was no international competition
2007 USA Basketball Men's Select team

Aaron Brooks

Channing Frye

Jeff Green

Devin Harris 

Andre Iguodala

Al Jefferson

Jason Kapano

David Lee 

JJ Redick

2008 USA Basketball Men's Select Team

LaMarcus Aldridge

Jerryd Bayless

Kevin Durant

Jeff Green

Luther Head

Al Horford

Andre Iguodala

Robin Lopez

Kevin Love

Kevin Martin

OJ Mayo

Derrick Rose

Rodney Stuckey

Russell Westbrook

2009 USA Basketball Men's Mini-Camp Roster

DJ Augustin

Ronnie Brewer

Kevin Durant

Rudy Gay

Eric Gordon

Danny Granger

Jeff Green

Devin Harris

Andre Iguodala

Kyle Korver

David Lee

Brook Lopez

Kevin Love

OJ Mayo

Javale McGee

Paul Milsap

Greg Oden

Anthony Randolph

Derrick Rose

Josh Smith

Russell Westbrook

Thaddeus Young

For those of you who think the Select team is gonna be relevant at all this summer, read this article
laugh.gif

[h1]
[h1]USA Men's Select Team Announced[/h1]
Irving-2010U18_300x400.jpg

Kyrie Irving, the 2011-12 NBA Rookie of the Year, is one of 13 players named to the 2012 USA Select Team that will train against the USA National Team during its July training camp in Las Vegas. Irving has been part of two previous USA Basketball teams.

Ross Davis/San Antonio Sports

May 21, 2012 • Colorado Springs, Colorado 
Featuring nine players owning USA Basketball experience, including the 2011-12 NBA Rookie of the Year Kyrie Irving and the 2010-11 NBA Rookie of the Year runner-upJohn Wall, USA Basketball today announced 13 players for the 2012 USA Men’s Select Team that will train against the 2012 USA Basketball Men’s National Team during its July 6-12 training camp in Las Vegas, Nev.

Named to the 2012 USA Basketball Select squad were:Ryan Anderson (Orlando Magic / California); DeJuan Blair (San Antonio Spurs / Pittsburgh); DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento Kings / Kentucky); DeMar DeRozan (Toronto Raptors / USC); Derrick Favors (Utah Jazz / Georgia Tech); Paul George (Indiana Pacers / Fresno State); Taj Gibson (Chicago Bulls / USC);Gordon Hayward (Utah Jazz / Butler); Irving (Cleveland Cavaliers / Duke); Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio Spurs / San Diego State); Jeremy Lin (New York Knicks / Harvard); Klay Thompson (Golden State Warriors / Washington State); and Wall (Washington Wizards / Kentucky).

USA Basketball also announced that serving as co-head coaches of the USA Select Team are 2010 USA Basketball World Championship assistant coach Jay Triano and longtime Syracuse University assistant coachMike Hopkins. Triano, who served for three seasons as head coach of the Toronto Raptors, helped coach the 2007 and 2008 USA Select Teams. Hopkins, who recently completed his 15th season as an assistant for the Orange, has served as a court coach at the USA Basketball National Team training camps in 2006 and 2010, and was a court coach at USA Basketball’s 2000 U20 National Team and 2001 U21 World Championship Team trials.

“The USA Select Team was a vital part of the USA Men’s National Team’s training in 2007, 2008 and 2010, and again in 2012 we’ll utilize this team of select NBA players to help get our National Team ready for the very competitive summer that is ahead of us,
[/h1]

Here's the thing.

Anthony Davis, Durant, Gay, Gordon, Griffin, Harden, Love, Rose, and Westbrook will all be under 30 when the next Olympics come around.

Conceivable that all of those guys could be back in 2016 with one or two of the guys I didn't mention.

Originally Posted by ThaT Dude173

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

He's Jamaican
He was born in new york though?
Yes, but FIBA wise he is Jamaican
laugh.gif

Doubt he'll get clearance to play of the USA in time for this summer though.

Originally Posted by solnevins

so who replaces CP3 and D Rose this summer? no way they are playing with those injuries

dwill, rondo (if he wants it), westbrook, ty lawson, eric gordon?

that groin injury looked bad ...he definitely was no where near 100% hed be an idiot to rush it

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

Originally Posted by KMante

Dang this team wont have the chemistry of the 2008 team 

That's how I feel. The Redeem Team was a 3 year commitment. This is different. 
First off, let's not make it seem like the 2008 team had really been together for three years. The 2006 WC roster had Joe Johnson, Kirk Hinrich, Antawn Jamison, Brad Miller, Shane Battier and Elton Brand (none were considered in future FIBA tournaments). It wasn't until the 2007 FIBA Americas that the actual Olympic roster came into focus. Kobe bought in, and they wanted a veteran leader in Kidd, so there's two guys not on the three-year commitment. CP3, Wade and Bosh sat out in 2007, while Redd and Tayshaun were added (Olympic non-factors). Boozer, another non-factor, was added in 2008 out of nowhere (Mike Miller, Amare, Chandler and Billups became the odd men out). Only three players appeared in all three tournaments: Lebron, Carmelo and Dwight. The 2008 squad only went nine deep, realistically.

Now look at what the 2012 team would have been ideally:

Rose
CP3
D-Will
Wade
Kobe
Lebron
Carmelo
Durant
Love
Bosh
Chandler
Dwight

Five guys with one Olympic appearance (all of which had other FIBA experience), three who have been to two Olympics (along with at least one other FIBA competition), and four guys from the 2010 WC squad (all of whom have been involved with Team USA their entire careers), all with tons of experience in the same system. If that's not continuity, then I don't know what is. Unfortunately, injuries have screwed things up now. Now we're looking at (and I'm including guys who aren't officially out due to injuries):

CP3
D-Will
Westbrook
Wade
Kobe
Lebron
Durant
Carmelo
Love
Bosh
Chandler
(Anthony Davis?)

Westbrook replacing Rose is a wash, in terms of experience. Chandler would/should have been on it anyway, so now he just steps in as the starting center. So really, you're adding a guy in Anthony Davis (maybe) who can do the two things you need teach the least in FIBA: rebound and protect the rim (you know, two things he's already better than most players in the world at). If you want to go smaller and put Iggy in, then you have a guy with FIBA experience. But in the end, is it really that much different?

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Five guys with one Olympic appearance (all of which had other FIBA experience), three who have been to two Olympics (along with at least one other FIBA competition), and four guys from the 2010 WC squad (all of whom have been involved with Team USA their entire careers), all with tons of experience in the same system. If that's not continuity, then I don't know what is. Unfortunately, injuries have screwed things up now. Now we're looking at (and I'm including guys who aren't officially out due to injuries):

CP3
D-Will
Westbrook
Wade
Kobe
Lebron
Durant
Carmelo
Love
Bosh
Chandler
(Anthony Davis?)

Westbrook replacing Rose is a wash, in terms of experience. Chandler would/should have been on it anyway, so now he just steps in as the starting center. So really, you're adding a guy in Anthony Davis (maybe) who can do the two things you need teach the least in FIBA: rebound and protect the rim (you know, two things he's already better than most players in the world at). If you want to go smaller and put Iggy in, then you have a guy with FIBA experience. But in the end, is it really that much different?
sounds about right

That lineup is slim pickings on the inside. No Roy Hibbert?

He's got big game down low, to me this playoffs proving he could be a valuable force on the boards for Team USA.

Cousins could use that world game experience too. Beast in the post, straight workhorse.

Originally Posted by itsphillthy

That lineup is slim pickings on the inside. No Roy Hibbert?

He's got big game down low, to me this playoffs proving he could be a valuable force on the boards for Team USA.
Please read the thread. Hell, read THIS page before posting. It's been discussed why he can't be on Team USA.

Originally Posted by EuGeNiLe GTS

anyone watching them in Las Vegas July 12? exhibition game vs Dominican Republic?
Right now its about 50-50 for me making it out there. Trying to talk a few of my friends to get out there with me 

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Originally Posted by EuGeNiLe GTS

anyone watching them in Las Vegas July 12? exhibition game vs Dominican Republic?
Right now its about 50-50 for me making it out there. Trying to talk a few of my friends to get out there with me 
I'll be there, with my brother. You should roll out. We're staying at Cosmo (got it for cheap).

If Paul isn't playing....has to be Rondo. He's a no brainer.

And give me Anthony Davis and Chandler. Great defense and just let the wings score the points. Each of those guys and just dunk.

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

Originally Posted by KMante

Dang this team wont have the chemistry of the 2008 team 

That's how I feel. The Redeem Team was a 3 year commitment. This is different. 
First off, let's not make it seem like the 2008 team had really been together for three years. The 2006 WC roster had Joe Johnson, Kirk Hinrich, Antawn Jamison, Brad Miller, Shane Battier and Elton Brand (none were considered in future FIBA tournaments). It wasn't until the 2007 FIBA Americas that the actual Olympic roster came into focus. Kobe bought in, and they wanted a veteran leader in Kidd, so there's two guys not on the three-year commitment. CP3, Wade and Bosh sat out in 2007, while Redd and Tayshaun were added (Olympic non-factors). Boozer, another non-factor, was added in 2008 out of nowhere (Mike Miller, Amare, Chandler and Billups became the odd men out). Only three players appeared in all three tournaments: Lebron, Carmelo and Dwight. The 2008 squad only went nine deep, realistically.

Now look at what the 2012 team would have been ideally:

Rose
CP3
D-Will
Wade
Kobe
Lebron
Carmelo
Durant
Love
Bosh
Chandler
Dwight

CP3
D-Will
Westbrook
Wade
Kobe
Lebron
Durant
Carmelo
Love
Bosh
Chandler
(Anthony Davis?)

No, BUT they still won't have the Chemistry of the 2008 team.

I actually agree with the points you've made.

They will definitely start of rough and rusty early in the tourney, but because of all the points you made about the players and the fact that everybody has played in the same system, they will gel faster during the tourney.

New deal for a ticket + access to a post-game reception for the game on July 12 in Vegas.

Cardmembers can watch the USA Basketball team take on the Dominican Republic in Las Vegas, NV. USA vs. Dominican Republic offers access to the game with lower bowl seating. Following the game, guests will enjoy a fully catered reception hosted by USA Basketball, which will include an appearance by a Player, Coach or USA Basketball Legend.

http://www.unlvtickets.co.../spe/310/usa-basketball/

I’d probably be interested if I didn’t already have tix (also don’t have AMEX). Also, I think I’m just doing a quick dinner and then headed to Tryst that night.

I’d probably be interested if I didn’t already have tix (also don’t have AMEX). Also, I think I’m just doing a quick dinner and then headed to Tryst that night.
Yeah I got some good tix, dead center I think in 106...about 15 rows back. 
What'd you get? You getting bottles at Tryst?

Back
Top Bottom