Veteran Collectors

About half of the people on here are veteran collectors (I am not) and have seen Michael Jordan play on TV in the first few years of his career, everything before he retired for the second time that is. So I ask you, when the OG shoes came out back then while he was playing, did any of you think of buying them, keeping them DS, and then selling them later on in the future in hopes of making a profit if not a huge profit? Have you people that kept your OG sneakers DS or VNDS all these years still kept theirs or sold them? And now since all these retro+ models have been dropping everywhere, how much have you spent on retro+ models these past few years?
Sneakers are meant to be worn not stored.

Quote:
did any of you think of buying them, keeping them DS, and then selling them later on in the future in hopes of making a profit if not a huge profit?

you want people to remember what they did in the past about what they thought was going to happen in the future?

^^^^ :lol:
laugh.gif
does get a little wordy
K.R.E.A.M ya digg?

I use to rock mines till the next Air Jordan came out. By that time, they were beat to submission. Now, I'm restarting my collection to store for my kids. I will give it to them when they're ready and explain to them that they were very important to their father when he was their age. As for the retro+, I only buy the ones I like. So I don't spend that much on those.
HEAT23 x AIR-RANDY
www.air-randy.com​

X & XIII PACK NOW AVAILABLE!!!​

I don't think anyone thought about keeping them and selling them. My one uncle bought every color of every Air Jordan, 2 pairs of each 1 to wear, 1 to keep. He won't let me buy any of them. To him, he has a collection and could care less who knows.
5 years on Niketalk. I know more than you.

Noone thought about keeping them. MOst of the time they were wore straight out of the store.
TEAM KENTUCKY
WHERE TIPPIN COWS REQUIRES HEAT ON YOUR FEET
TEAM MANBEARPIG​
"I'm totally serial."
"im a sneaker head cause i like sneakers...i dont go around calling my self that"~Llsneakerhead23​

The main attraction about jays was being the FIRST one to have them, and wear them ALL THE TIME.

Times have changed....
AT&T U-VERSE - BEST EVER.
YEA THE BABY DANCES, TO THINK...ITS CIRCA OG XII
FOR SALE: BLACK V SZ 13 DS, BLACK CAROLINA 5 SZ 13 VNDS, CAROLINA VI LOW SZ 13 NDS, BLACK BLUE 18 SZ 12 DS. PM ME IF INTERESTED!

I was 9 in '86 and I didn't have the loot to invest in sneaker collecting. |I
tired.gif
TeamClippers
GET WELL EB42/SL14
AL THORNTON FOR ROY
SC TROJANS
MAYO-GIBSON-JEFFERSON

At first when MJ started playing I was 15 and through my parents got some Jays. After I got my first good paying job I started buying them in doubles. Pretty much most of my shoes are used but I kept alot of them DS and still have most of them now and even more since they started releasing Retro +.
Check out: www.FlipJays.com

NY GIANTS11:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.​

I usually wore mine out of the store. I remember getting Carmines and wearing them to baseball practice the first day instead of wearing cleats. I don't think people started buying doubles and triples to resell until the XI's came out. Geting OG Columbia's was out of hand. I've never seen a line so chaotic since then.

I remember wearing them right out of the box, it I didn't care about matching outfits, because I had the jordans. I wish I took more care though.
TEAMAMFAM!

I echo the sentiment of most here. I started in '97-'98 with the Playoff XIII. Wore them into the dirt, then copped "Oreo" :smh:
smh.gif
Retro IV then Oxy 14 then Indiglos and it was on. Wore them from the first day I got them until they were unsightly to look down upon. I've always bought my own Jays with my own money, so I didnt come with that much heat but if I would've kept up with EVERY pair the way I do now, then I would be pretty heated as the saying goes... 8)
glasses.gif
I never sleep...so I'm living my dreams...

WE HAVE NO LS IN NEBRASKA!!!

F/S/T DS OLNL 10.5, Retro Concords 10.5 , and Cardinal VII 11.5

I don't think anyone knew the Jordan game would get like it was at it's peak, main thing was being the first to wear it, shoot, the few Jordans I did have back in the day, I didn't even keep them in their boxes, just wore them.

Quote:
Noone thought about keeping them. MOst of the time they were wore straight out of the store.

i was a kid, so saving the hotest shoe out was never in consideration. on many occasions i wore them straight out the store
this week he's moppin' floors next week its the fries

I consider myself a vet collector and when they bring back an OG colorway that I either had, have, or always wanted I have to get them. In the early days of JB, most retro +'s were always usually worth getting as well, but retro +'s and LS's have gotten considerably worse year by year to the point where they may only be one or two Retro+'s I may buy per year. I'm against LS.....I only own 4 LS J's now and have only purchased 6 since they really started to push the LS concept in 04-05.
Team CLEVELAND OG Member # 1
Team AM FamTeam Vintage: Vintage Heat Since 1980!
GO LAKERS!!!
New Myspace:myspace.com/stillshortycsince94

i have over a hundred pair of J's and i don't consider myself a collector. i have them to wear keeping them in like new condition by cleaning them after every wear, even the bottoms.

if i were a collector i would by J's not to wear but just to have. back in the day i would also get J's and wear them down. i would always be dissapointed when they didn't look "new". so now i buy a couple of pairs to have for back up when i wanted to look super icey. if i like the shoe so much i'de pick up a third pair just to wear everyday. the second to wear on weekends and partys and the third for special occasions.

shoes were meant to be worn................

My big bro is 16 yrs older than me so i got alot of hand me downs and he bought alot of jays 2 kept me up wit him. My moms use 2 cop 4 me too. I thank in 96' or 97' the dillards in Mobile, Ala started gettin jays and my grandpops had a dillards card so me and him use 2 go up dea and cop 4 me bak then. Those were days no worries jus mostly get wat u want >D
grin.gif
. U get em go outside and kick rocks thats wat u did nobody really thought of the value of em back then , but now wit less ogs droppin and crazy colors and even poor quality it makes u value those more now
Aint Got the Emmit Smith, I got the Dorsett/ A-R 33 Shootin Like A Cowboy/ Tryna See *******

Aww man, i just remember i would be SOOO HAPPYY when my mom would take me into a shoestore and she would decide to get me a new pair of jordans....i would just give my old beat payless shoes, put on my new J's n my mom would throw out the OG jordan box along with my old shoes in the trash...=( its sad but thats just the way it was until i started buying my own stuff

^^^^^ I feel u dawg my moms use 2 do the same thing yo
Aint Got the Emmit Smith, I got the Dorsett/ A-R 33 Shootin Like A Cowboy/ Tryna See *******

I got jays as hand me downs when I was younger and if I was lucky to get a brand new pair there was no way I could keep them ds I would watch mike do what he did and like after watching a sat. mourning cartoon I would put on my cape (jays) and ball out till the soles fell off

Most Vets never thought about profits, it was just the pure thrill of feeling like you had a piece of your hero on your feet, that you could maybe fly as well, that maybe you and Mike had just a little bit in common, and also that you had the illest Nikes at the current time.

i always wore my jordan right out the store i was so exited to go school the next day meaning i was the only filipino kid in 70%black..20%white..5%mexican and 5% asians(<<<count me in this percentage) and i was only in the first grade i had 5th graders jocking me nawimean?! :lol:
laugh.gif
...but it never passed my head that i should never wear em i would were my J's untill the soles fall off or the new comes out...but if i would of ever kept em DS i would'nt be worried about the value nawimean?!?!...it more than that fam...and so far as how much i spent on retore's over the years...im put it like this...i spent more than i should of have spent :smh:
smh.gif
Team Philippines
IMELDA WAS THE ORIGINAL SHOE HEAD..& STILL IS.
TEAM XBOX360
.:GAMERTAG= diaBlo4tWenT:.​

Do any of you remember reinacting the dunk from the free throw line? I remember it like if it was just yesterday.

Lowering the basketball hoop and busting my you know what onto I got it right. Ahhhh memories.
HEAT23 x AIR-RANDY
www.air-randy.com​

X & XIII PACK NOW AVAILABLE!!!​

Back
Top Bottom