Vince Staples Critiques 1990's Hip Hop Music Calling It Overrated, N.O.R.E & Tyler The Creator Respo

Overseas is completely different than stateside.

They idolize american hip hop in a completely different way.

******* naughty by nature still sells out shows overseas.

Fact remains that when Vince staples was 10, it not unbelievable to understand that snoop Dogg's music was not popping to point that Vince staples could have "grown up" on it.

How many nyc'ers born in 1993 would tell you that they grew up on mobb deep? They were SMALL children during the height of their popularity.

Overseas is completely different than stateside.

They idolize american hip hop in a completely different way.

******* naughty by nature still sells out shows overseas.

Fact remains that when Vince staples was 10, it not unbelievable to understand that snoop Dogg's music was not popping to point that Vince staples could have "grown up" on it.

How many nyc'ers born in 1993 would tell you that they grew up on mobb deep? They were SMALL children during the height of their popularity.

So, if we ask Vince Staples, who inspires his music (otherthan maybe musicians already in his family) who do you think his favorite rappers are?

I listen to Tyler the Creator. Eminem is one of his bigger inspirations, who has been around since as early as 96, became a household name by 1998. Somebody is lying.

I was born in 1987, at 10, I was aware of everything. Summer of 1996 when I was 9, Atliens, Fugees, Jay-Z, Nas, Busta, Doe or Die, Mc Eiht, Nate Dogg, Warren G, etc.

Even in the early 90s. Uncle Luke, Slick Rick, Special Ed, EPMD, Brand Nubian, Tribe, Geto Boys, Fat Pat, Rakim, Grandmaster flash. Southernplayalisticadillacmusic, the whole Kriss Kross/SoSo Def in 1994. Common, Bone Thugs, Timbaland & Magoo, Akenyele Heck, even Freaknik festivities.

Vince is defintely just clamoring for attention.

So, if we ask Vince Staples, who inspires his music (otherthan maybe musicians already in his family) who do you think his favorite rappers are?

I listen to Tyler the Creator. Eminem is one of his bigger inspirations, who has been around since as early as 96, became a household name by 1998. Somebody is lying.

I was born in 1987, at 10, I was aware of everything. Summer of 1996 when I was 9, Atliens, Fugees, Jay-Z, Nas, Busta, Doe or Die, Mc Eiht, Nate Dogg, Warren G, etc.

Even in the early 90s. Uncle Luke, Slick Rick, Special Ed, EPMD, Brand Nubian, Tribe, Geto Boys, Fat Pat, Rakim, Grandmaster flash. Southernplayalisticadillacmusic, the whole Kriss Kross/SoSo Def in 1994. Common, Bone Thugs, Timbaland & Magoo, Akenyele Heck, even Freaknik festivities.

Vince is defintely just clamoring for attention.

Anyone can make one off exceptions to the rule.

Do you think the AVERAGE kid born in the 90s grew up on music that was made in an era not of his own?

Last edited:
Do you think the AVERAGE kid born in the 90s grew up on music that was made in an era not of his own?

Is that what's being discussed here or the dismissive tone in which he took?
I don't expect your man to rock with 90's hip hop like that. The way in which he attempts to minimize is an issue though.

Last edited:
Is that what's being discussed here or the dismissive tone in which he took?
I don't expect your man to rock with 90's hip hop like that. The way in which he attempts to minimize is an issue though.

That's what I'm discussing with the guy who doesn't believe its not possible that Vince staples didn't grow up on snoop Dogg.

Rhythm and Gangsta was the last really good Snoop album

Staples album was dope.  Dude is young and thinks he knows it all, i remember when I was 23 or whatever you couldn't tell me I didn't have the world figured out by then

i don't read too much into this

Rhythm & Gangsta = Blue Carpet Treatment. Loved them both, but minus a couple tracks from each, it couldn't made 1 great album, probably 19 songs or something. Wish I knew what was even on Paid The Cost.

Didn't realize Staples was 22, I thought he was like 26-27, no wonder he sounds goofy. Nothing to see here :lol:

Last edited:
Funny thing is Vince Staples references a 90s rap song (which is a sample of ANOTHER 90s rap song) 4 bars into the first song on his album.

Some of y'all don't read.

NORE said 1st for Vince to be from long beach and not say Snoop is his favorite rapper he must be from a different cloth.

Vince replies he is from a rival crip gang so they never banged Snoop. It wasn't tough talk, it's facts.

I notice that's a NY thing that Queens dudes favorite rapper is Nas or Mobb. Brooklyn is Big or Jay. Out here we just like who we like and who we think is popping. Half the dudes I grew up with have Biggie, Jay or Kanye as their number 1. Besides Pac I don't know that many people out here who rank Snoop, Dre, Cube, Kurupt as their number 1. That's life.

NORE said 1st for Vince to be from long beach and not say Snoop is his favorite rapper he must be from a different cloth.

Vince replies he is from a rival crip gang so they never banged Snoop. It wasn't tough talk, it's facts.

I notice that's a NY thing that Queens dudes favorite rapper is Nas or Mobb. Brooklyn is Big or Jay. Out here we just like who we like and who we think is popping. Half the dudes I grew up with have Biggie, Jay or Kanye as their number 1. Besides Pac I don't know that many people out here who rank Snoop, Dre, Cube, Kurupt as their number 1. That's life.

If he didn't mess with Snoop, he could've messed DJ Quik, then...

It's hard to tell if Vince was serious bout the tuff talk cause he's very sarcastic and jokey jokey

He's also pretty smart and it shows in his interviews

His thoughts on 90s rap is whatever to me tho

He trolls a lot so I'd like to see where this goes

All of this.

That said he looks lame personalizing it the way he did.

If you are saying you are too young to have listened to Snoop, how in the world would Snoop's gang affiliation 15 years prior matter?

If you are saying you are too young to have listened to Snoop, how in the world would Snoop's gang affiliation 15 years prior matter?

He's saying even when he was of age to be into hip hop (because Snoop been doing this for awhile), it wasn't cool to listen to a ***** from a rival gang. Whether it was Doggystyle Snoop or I Wanna **** You Snoop, his point remains the same.

He's saying even when he was of age to be into hip hop (because Snoop been doing this for awhile), it wasn't cool to listen to a ***** from a rival gang. Whether it was Doggystyle Snoop or I Wanna **** You Snoop, his point remains the same.

That still doesn't add up.

First you're too young. Then you're saying it's because he's from a rival gang.

So when Drop It Like It Hot comes on and you're 10 or 11, you do what?

I'm pretty sure he wasn't bangin' when Drop It Like It's Hot dropped. He probably wasn't really into music at 10-11 either. Why are people still dissecting this any way? Either he's trolling or that's how he really feels. I swear some of you carry on and argue about the dumbest things. The scenarios and hypotheticals you guys come up with are hilarious.

You'd have to ask Vince whether or not he was in a gang or how deep the culture was in him at 10 or 11. Him being a 10 or 11 y/o who thought the record was catchy won't stop his big homies or relatives who are deep in it to tell him to cut that bull **** off :lol:.

I'd guess he got seriously involved with it around 12-13, so yeah I guess whatever Snoop records came out from 04 and beyond he wasn't rocking with off of principle.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't bangin' when Drop It Like It's Hot dropped. He probably wasn't really into music at 10-11 either. Why are people still dissecting this any way? Either he's trolling or that's how he really feels. I swear some of you carry on and argue about the dumbest things. The scenarios and hypotheticals you guys come up with are hilarious.

You weren't listening to music at 10 or 11 :lol:

To have an argument one must be arguing against you. I made a statement. You chose to respond. What he said makes no logical sense. For some reason you feel the need to defend his stupid statement.

The way some of you defend dudes who don't care about you is hilarious. Defending someone who trolls on Twitter.

Vince Staples is a culture vulture.

Is this a troll attempt? I feel like this is one of those post that say "am I doing it right guys?" at the end :lol:
Vince is far from a culture vulture, it took him years to get to this point & he still aint even big like that lol

Is this a troll attempt? I feel like this is one of those post that say "am I doing it right guys?" at the end :lol:
Vince is far from a culture vulture, it took him years to get to this point & he still aint even big like that lol
Is there a time limit? :lol:

Iggy been rapping for almost 10 years. So she's not one either then huh.

Is there a time limit? :lol:

Iggy been rapping for almost 10 years. So she's not one either then huh.

Iggy had a #1 hit and was everywhere. She was put in a position to negatively affect & thrive off the stereotypes of hip hop. Vince barely sold 19k his first week off of DOUBLE album :x

Also the subject matters in which both rap are completely different. Vince being a vulture cause he doesnt care for music he didnt grow up on makes NO sense at all. Not every young rapper is gon know their classics like Joey Badass & them. Then again you dont even like him either :lol:

I'm not sure he's ever listened to 90s rap. I thought that was the point of his statement. He came off as if he had no reason to.

And it's not Iggy fault Vince Staples sold less than 20K first week. They both on Def Jam and he had Future on his first single.

He may not care for the 90s, cause his album did some 1980s #s.

Back
Top Bottom