Vince Staples Critiques 1990's Hip Hop Music Calling It Overrated, N.O.R.E & Tyler The Creator Respo

I rock with a Staples music, but he's wild lame for his back and forth with nore. Him not appreciating the vets is concerning, especially with the bs he spewed to snoop on GGN, but I sense that a majority of these "rappers" feel the same. N.O.R.E. handled that well. Props to him. I don't listen to Tyler at all.

If Iggy, Mackelmore, or Slim Jesus made these statements I'm sure that word would've been thrown out about 36 hours ago.

Macklemore could probably get away with it because he stays in his lane. But yeah Slim and Iggy would get hit with it because they rap about stuff they didn't do. So it's like they have no appreciation for the culture and are in it to make money. And even then, not being a 90's music fan wouldn't solely make them culture vultures if they liked 2000's rap. Slim Jesus is 17/18 so he'd probably like 2000's rap more anyways.

Vince came from the culture, I'm assuming lived what he talks about, and I'm gonna guess was a fan of 2000's hip hop.

I don't see how not liking an era of rap before your time makes you a culture vulture.

And this is how you draw attention to yourself as an up and coming "artist" in 2015 lol that "rival gang" remark was straight up nonsense. Quik listened to Eazy just as much as Mack 10 rocked to Dogg Pound. This kid is acting like Bs & Cs had non-compatible music players

This is why I say rap fans are stupid.

You would never see anyone downplaying Marvin Gaye or Stevie Wonder. They would know that isn't an acceptable thing to say, even if they didn't grow up listening to them. They just state what they were influenced by, not downplay and dismiss what they didn't listen.

This is why the music is mostly stagnate and hasn't progressed. A lot of people grew up on bad music and people who didn't do it for the love.

The fans have no respect for the music or culture and it shows.

I notice the better emcee's actually know about raps history and it's culture.

This is why artist say fans in America take hip hop for granted, and there's more love and knowledge about it overseas.

Last edited:
"N.O.R.E" the album >>> Vince Staples purpose on this earth. I hope someone beats the **** out of this kid. Needs to be taught a lesson for talking stupid.

Macklemore could probably get away with it because he stays in his lane. But yeah Slim and Iggy would get hit with it because they rap about stuff they didn't do. So it's like they have no appreciation for the culture and are in it to make money. And even then, not being a 90's music fan wouldn't solely make them culture vultures if they liked 2000's rap. Slim Jesus is 17/18 so he'd probably like 2000's rap more anyways.

Vince came from the culture, I'm assuming lived what he talks about, and I'm gonna guess was a fan of 2000's hip hop.

I don't see how not liking an era of rap before your time makes you a culture vulture.
What does Iggy rap about that she didn't do? She moved across the planet to pursue a career in hip-hop, meanwhile this guy refused to listen to Snoop Dogg, a guy from his city because of his gang affiliation. Who is this kid Monster Kody or somethin?

How exactly did Vince Staples come from the culture? Because he's from the hood? This N was watchin 'Toy Story 2'. His real life is prolly closer to Drake's.

I say he's a culture vulture because he's willing to exploit a lifestyle and culture he seems to have no real interest in outside of making profit and Tweeting out his gang affiliation.

You would never see anyone downplaying Marvin Gaye or Stevie Wonder. They would know that isn't an acceptable thing to say, even if they didn't grow up listening to them. They just state what they were influenced by, not downplay and dismiss what they didn't listen.

This is why the music is mostly stagnate and hasn't progressed. A lot of people grew up on bad music and people who didn't do it for the love.

This is why artist say fans in America take hip hop for granted, and there's more love and knowledge about it overseas.
THIS

Last edited:
What does Iggy rap about that she didn't do? She moved across the planet to pursue a career in hip-hop, meanwhile this guy refused to listen to Snoop Dogg, a guy from his city because of his gang affiliation. Who is this kid Monster Kody or somethin?

How exactly did Vince Staples come from the culture? Because he's from the hood? This N was watchin 'Toy Story 2'. His real life is prolly closer to Drake's.

I say he's a culture vulture because he's willing to exploit a lifestyle and culture he seems to have no real interest in outside of making profit and Tweeting out his gang affiliation.
THIS

At age 7, you didn't do kid ****? There were no kid movies you watched? :lol:

I don't see how someone watching Toy Story at age 7 contradicts him being sucked into gang life in his formative years. You act like there weren't VCRs in the hood. :lol:

As far as Iggy "I'm Bout That Murder Business"/Austrailian girl who does her best Trina imitation when she touches a mic.

Umma be honest, only song I've ever listened to from her is Fancy and even that is in passing from radio and hanging around white girls. So yeah I'm just basing that off of the "murdet business" line so actually I could be wrong on her rapping about **** she ain't do.

I never heard of Vince staples besides scrolling past his name in the music thread. I was watching the bet cypher than I seen his name and was like o dude got a nt thread let me listen. Was not impressed.

I was in the theaters watching Toy Story.

Ready To Die was also the first album I purchased myself the very year before :lol:

Dudes get soooo butt hurt over 90s hip-hop

First rap album I ever bought on my own was the dynasty. My pops used to give me a lot of tapes/CDs in the 90s, but that was the one I went on my own and copped. All the while I was watching wrestling and playing pokeman.

At age 7, you didn't do kid ****? There were no kid movies you watched? :lol:

I don't see how someone watching Toy Story at age 7 contradicts him being sucked into gang life in his formative years. You act like there weren't VCRs in the hood. :lol:

As far as Iggy "I'm Bout That Murder Business"/Austrailian girl who does her best Trina imitation when she touches a mic.

Umma be honest, only song I've ever listened to from her is Fancy and even that is in passing from radio and hanging around white girls. So yeah I'm just basing that off of the "murdet business" line so actually I could be wrong on her rapping about **** she ain't do.
Pee Wee's Big Adventure is STILL a top 5 movie to me. That movie is soooo gangsta. My first avy on NT was Pee Wee, and Ns :lol: at me :smh:

At age 7? I had seen Ninja Turtles 1 and 2 at the theater :pimp:
And that Hot Shots parody movie with Charlie Sheen :pimp: :smh:
I had also seen a man get stabbed in a street fight and watched a homemade torture video of the president of Liberia. :smh:

I NEVER seen a Disney movie in the theater in my life. Or had one on VCR. I only seen them in school, I was already a hip-hop junkie before that movie (Toy Story 1) came out. The Infamous and Cuban Linx came out, I wasn't tryin watch no white cartoon characters in a toy box. I was dubbing tapes. Rushing home to watch Rap City and roasting marshmallows on the stove was more appealing.

Apparently Toy Story 1 was SUPER deep according to the Steve Jobs autobiography.

I NEVER heard a Iggy song outside of "Fancy" and "Work" which is :pimp:

You weren't listening to music at 10 or 11
laugh.gif

To have an argument one must be arguing against you. I made a statement. You chose to respond. What he said makes no logical sense. For some reason you feel the need to defend his stupid statement.

The way some of you defend dudes who don't care about you is hilarious. Defending someone who trolls on Twitter.
I was listening to music at 10-11 years old, but your reading and comprehension skills really must lack because I said, "He probably wasn't really into music at 10-11 either."  I am not defending him at all and yes I was addressing you because you argue about everything on here. I bet you're the type of person who argues just to hear your own voice irl. I can't be the only person on this site who
eyes.gif
 every time you chime in with your 2 cents.

Look at all these bitter 30 + men you dudes care about hip hop wayyy too much
Let me get this straight, you're saying that anyone who is over the age of 30 who grew up on Hip Hop and has an opinion about the younger generations lackadaisical stance is bitter?

I don't get what yall dont understand. I'm 7 years older than Vince. My top 10 includes 2Pac, Nas, Common, Cube, Jay. The other 5 are new artists and I'm sure the 11-20 are mostly 2000s artists like Ye and others.

Rakim, Kool Moe Dee, Kool G Rap don't even sniff my top 50. I respect them as pioneers but that's it, I'm never purposefully listening to them. So why would someone younger than me not have different favorites. He likes Lauryn Hill and a few 90s rappers but to think he HAS to love them is not being realistic.

Kool Moe Dee :lol:

He's not in anyone under 60's top ANY thing.

Rakim, G Rap, KRS One are AMAZING MCs tho. I don't think age affects your ability to acknowledge skill, it's more of an impact thing. It's hard to grasp impact when you weren't present. Like kids about 6 years younger than me think GRODT is the best thing ever. I'm sure older guys could prolly listen to Kool Moe Dee without laughing. It's impact. Kool Moe Dee had ZERO impact on my life or love for hip-hop. (I only remember "Wild Wild West") I read his book and he rated himself top 5. Along with Grandmaster Caz and Melle Mel :lol:

Impact is all relative.

Kids growing up now will certainly view Drake and Future is a much better light than an old bitter worthless individual like myself would.

Last edited:
Yea I've heard recent good Kool G Rap songs, and bought Rakim's 2009 album, so skill can definitely be acknowledged regardless of age.

Yea I've heard recent good Kool G Rap songs, and bought Rakim's 2009 album, so skill can definitely be acknowledged regardless of age.

A teenager can also watch footage of Larry bird and Magic Johnson and acknowledge their ability. But they didn't live that...so it's likely not going to be a source of their inspiration like Lebron James and Kevin Durant would.

Here's what he said.
Apparently he's well versed on the Rolling Stones and Aerosmith.
And Bill Clinton's saxophone skills.

vince staples is the typical kid that had a connection to the streets , but was probably never really off the porch like that , but because of those ties he thinks he can say whatever to whoever cause the streets not the way they used to be

when people are young they say dumb stuff they don't realize is dumb until they get older 

one day someone will be saying what was so great about vince staples and he'll get a dose of his own medicine . if he last 

Back
Top Bottom