Vince Staples Critiques 1990's Hip Hop Music Calling It Overrated, N.O.R.E & Tyler The Creator Respo

You can't get mad at Vince Staples for stating facts tho. He didn't have an attachment to it. Fact. 

He didn't say 90's rap was trash.

I understand ya want that era to get the recognition it deserves but you rather him lie and be like "hell yeah, that's my ****" just to make ya happy?

this boy lost in the sauce.. he got a right to his opinion but don't get mad when people challenge you on it..

talking about no 50 cent in the 90's when this dude was already out in the 90s.. how jay-z didn't have number a number 1 til recently, why did he need a number 1 single when he had number 1 ALBUMS in the 90s?

and the way he replied to nore made him look like a straight up clown.. not once did nore mention his city this boy was reaching hard.. this dude would be washing nore's sneakers in jail but is sitting here trying to be a tough guy on twitter
laugh.gif

I love all hip hop man from the birth right up until this very day but this kid is wildin for respect and made himself look dumb as ****.. then again he probably got a bunch of kids born in 2000 co-signing him
laugh.gif

Last edited:
He said overrated so he might as well said trash. I'm very be in the 2000s music vs 90s but to say overrated....na b

Overrated dont mean trash lol. I think Eminem is overrated but hes FAR from trash. This thread is comedy tho. Vince just turned himself into NTs music forum biggest heel since Troy Average. Oh well Vinces music is still tough especially compared to other newer rappers

Dude said jayz biggest song went number one a couple years as justification. Dude was saying the Era is trash

Dude said jayz biggest song went number one a couple years as justification. Dude was saying the Era is trash

No he actually said he doesnt know why the era gets so much credit & that hes sure its cool. Basically that he didnt listen to it cuz he was younger and wasnt worrying bout no hip hop at that age & is therefore ignorant to it. He worded it badly & then his dumb argument with NORE only made it look worse. Horrible statement regardless. Shoulda just stayed shut or gave a PC answer but he gave an honest one instead. Would yall want him lying bout he played all that stuff & loved it instead? Ppl make more excuses to hate new artists than to actually give them a try...

So listening to Snoop wasn't cool in his "hood" but he played in his football league?

His story is FULL of inconsistencies and half truths.

According to him he listened to 'Tha Eastsidaz' and Snoop said he used to trap in the NORF and was coo with them over there.

So listening to Snoop wasn't cool in his "hood" but he played in his football league?

His story is FULL of inconsistencies and half truths.

According to him he listened to 'Tha Eastsidaz' and Snoop said he used to trap in the NORF and was coo with them over there.
According to some people here he is known to troll on twitter, maybe that's what he was doing with this interview. 

"Thoughts of a Predicate Felon" was tough as ****. Got that record hanging on my wall.

Gotta do what you gotta do when you sell less records than Tony Yayo.
Not to go off track, but you and I both know selling records in 2015 is very different than it was 10 years ago. The whole record sales argument in Hip Hop has always been whack AF to me.

Nothing overrated by an era marked by classic albums. The fact that the 90's is still mentioned today show's the impact that it's had. The fact that Vince mentions Biggie and Pac when it comes to the 90's shows his own ignorance. There were many rappers and producers who made that era great. The 90's era is not overrated, it is the peak.

Last edited:
13K in your first week is still 13K regardless of era.
I wonder how much Paid in Full did in it's first week of sales? Like I said, record sales in this genre are not a reflection of anything more than what the the masses are aware of. Again; I am not defending Vince, just pointing out how going to the "record sales" argument is absurd.

Nothing overrated by an era marked by classic albums. The fact that the 90's is still mentioned today show's the impact that it's had. The fact that Vince mentions Biggie and Pac when it comes to the 90's shows his own ignorance. There were many rappers and producers who made that era great. The 90's era is not overrated, it is the peak.

Repped for this. Dude was just speaking out of turn a little but being honest at the same time. I think hearing 90s hip hop in the 90s exposed you to so much more. People looking for 90s hip hop now are def gonna come across the industry standard classics like Ready to Die, Illmatic, The Infamous, All the Wu Joints, The Chronic, etc. but they wouldn't know unless someone showed them the lesser talked about classics:

Artifacts
Brand Nubian
Big L
Show & AG
Party Arty (RIP)
C.O.C.
Redman
Keith Murray
Timbo King
Shadez of Brooklyn
Natural Elements
Casual
Souls of Mischief
Ras Kass
Kwest Tha Mad Lad
Del
Souls of Mischief
B.U.M.s.
Goodie Mob
Outkast
Group Home
Jeru
Large Professor

I could go on and on. We were spoiled. Music was just so good back then and in such abundance. There wasn't so much distraction, social media, followers, and there wasn't so many other ways to get attention and get paid. People just heard stuff on the radio, whether mainstream or college radio, copped albums, got inspired, and then spent hours, days, months, and years trying to one-up everyone else. It was still an art for, and it was constantly being elevated for probably like 10 years straight from like '88 to '98-'99. Not that there wasn't good stuff after I just mean the concentration of classic music, and more importantly, classic ALBUMS was insane. I just tried to mention a few of the groups/artists that aren't first mentioned in 90s convo

I wonder how much Paid in Full did in it's first week of sales? Like I said, record sales in this genre are not a reflection of anything more than what the the masses are aware of. Again; I am not defending Vince, just pointing out how going to the "record sales" argument is absurd.
Soundscan didn't exist.
We'll never know for sure.
It did go Platinum after like 8 years.

But that comparison is odd. Rap wasn't even allowed on most black stations let alone the white ones.

If Staples wasn't signed to a MAJOR I'd agree with your record sales not matter argument, but when you align yourself with a billion dollar corporation I'd imagine you want a certain level of chart success.

Performing on late night shows. Single with Future. Another with Jhene Aiko. This isn't exactly a Vast Aire album.

The guys getting interviewed by TIME. I'd imagine he's trying to attain a certain level of fame.

And he's kinda brushing off the 90s meanwhile he's doin 13K 1st week while getting Late Night Show looks.

Last edited:
That **** is ABYSMAL :x especially with a push on a major. Son should be ashamed of himself on crip

his album is great though

No point in posting this man. They dont care lol. Vince album was cool but his mixtapes were better. He sold 19k first week cause Def Jam sucks & undershipped his album. Aint find that jawn in stores til like 4 months later & they only had 1 copy lol. Of course you aint gon sell nothing like that

Top 5 of '15

He's a smart kid, but he's also 22 so you goin say some dumb ****. Hopefully it serves as a learning experience and results in some good music. It got people talkin about him, hopefully everybody checks the album. A remix to "Senorita" would be clutch. I wouldn't mind hearin lil homie on some Warren G production. But he still deserves a noogie "on Crip"

Last edited:

No he actually said he doesnt know why the era gets so much credit & that hes sure its cool. Basically that he didnt listen to it cuz he was younger and wasnt worrying bout no hip hop at that age & is therefore ignorant to it. He worded it badly & then his dumb argument with NORE only made it look worse. Horrible statement regardless. Shoulda just stayed shut or gave a PC answer but he gave an honest one instead. Would yall want him lying bout he played all that stuff & loved it instead? Ppl make more excuses to hate new artists than to actually give them a try...
Like you already said it was the wording. You don't have to lie

No point in posting this man. They dont care lol. Vince album was cool but his mixtapes were better. He sold 19k first week cause Def Jam sucks & undershipped his album. Aint find that jawn in stores til like 4 months later & they only had 1 copy lol. Of course you aint gon sell nothing like that
Bruh you know his album was alright not even great maybe if he would have cut it down to one disk it would have been good.

Back
Top Bottom