VOLUNTEER HOURS.

antonlavey

Banned
Anyone know what the quickest way to get 40 hours of volunteering out of the way ASAP. I need it to graduate from my masters program and I've beenprocrastinating. Anyone in the NYC area volunteer? I found a list of opportunities online but Im not sure which one of these to pursue.

[h3]NYC Community Service[/h3]Despite New Yorkers' rough edges, many of us have hearts of gold. Here are some of the organizations tocontact if you'd like to lend a helping hand.The Association to Benefit Children 419 East 86 Street, NY, NY 10028, (212) 831-1322
Big Apple Greeter
Office of the Manhattan Borough President, 1 Centre St., NY, NY 10007, (212) 380-8159
This is a free program to welcome tourists to New York City by setting them up with a volunteer "friend". Greeters show visitors the color and flavor of the city's many neighborhoods throughout the five boroughs. Call 48-72 hours in advance for appointment. A knowledge of any foreign languages is helpful.
City Harvest
City Harvest, 575 Eighth Avenue, 4th Floor, New York, NY 10018, (917) 351-8700, info@city-harvest.org
- Office Team: alternate Thursdays, help out with administrative work
- Track Team: expedite food pick-ups and deliveries
- Events Team: help out when there are special events
- Food Alert Team: provide extra help when needed for pick-up and deliveries
- Green Market Team: help pack surplus produce at Union Square's Green Market and other locations
Citymeals-On-Wheels
355 Lexington Ave. New York, NY 10017, (212)687-1234
If you live in New York City area and can deliver weekend meals, shop, provide friendly visits or chat on the phone with the homebound elderly, visit www.citymeals.org for an application.
Coalition for the Homeless
89 Chambers Street, New York, NY 10007, (212) 964 5900
Food First
600 Pacific Street, Brooklyn, (718) 399-7300
Meals for homebound people with HIV and AIDS.
God's Love We Deliver
166 Sixth Avenue, Manhattan, (212) 294-8104
Meals for homebound people with AIDS.
Habitat For Humanity
  • Brooklyn: (718)246-5656
  • Manhattan: 115 E. 23rd Street, New York 10010, (212) 358-7955

Volunteers work on building housing for families living in sub-standard situations.
Heritage of Pride
154 Christopher St.-Suite 1D, (212) 80-PRIDE, email hopvolunteer@yahoo.com
Heritage of Pride is a volunteer-managed not-for-profit corporation that organizes Gay and Lesbian events in New York City, culminating each year in Pride Week at the end of June. HOP needs hundreds of volunteers during this week to help with the Rally, March, Dance & PrideFest. There is something to work on, plan, or think about all year round.
Holy Apostle Soup Kitchen
296 Ninth Avenue, New York 10001, (212) 924-0167
Counseling and midday meals for people. To volunteer for meal service, arrive at 9:45 Mon-Friday and work from 10:30-12:30. For counseling, call for an interview. Volunteers get breakfast and lunch.
Housing Works Used Book Cafe
126 Crosby Street bet. Houston and Prince, (212) 334-3324
Housing Works Inc. is a non-profit organization which has been providing housing, health services and support for homeless people living with HIV and AIDS since 1990. The Used Book Cafe is a beautiful store with over 45,000 titles which can be perused over coffee and sweets.

Volunteers are asked to commit a minimum of four hours per week to: working at the cash register, shelving and alphabetizing books, or preparing food in the cafe. Donations are also accepted during store hours (Mon-Wed 10am-8pm, Thurs-Fri 10am-9pm, Saturday noon-9pm, Sunday noon-7pm). Pickups can be arranged with a minimum of 10 boxes by calling (212) 366-0820.
Municipal Art Society
457 Madison Avenue, New York (212) 935-3960 National Urban League
120 Wall Street, New York, NY 10005, (212) 558-5300 New York Cares
116 E. 16th Street, New York, NY 10003, (212) 228-5000 NYC Rescue Mission
90 Lafayette Street, New York 10002, (212) 226-6214
Beds and food for people in need. Call for volunteer opportunities.
Red Cross
150 Amsterdam Ave, New York, NY 10023, (212) 875-2067
Volunteer positions in a wide range of areas -- from making telephone calls to the elderly to managing emergency shelters during disasters.
Ronald McDonald House
405 E 73rd Street, New York, (212) 639-0100
The Ronald McDonald House of NYC is a temporary home to families from all over the world, who have traveled to the city primarily for pediatric cancer treatment available only in New York's hospitals. The organization periodically organizes parties for the parents and children of the House, and schedules fund-raising events to maintain the operation and continued administration of this beautiful, 11 story facility.
Salvation Army
120 West 14th Street, New York, NY 10011-7393, 888-234-8888 United Way
2 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10016, (212) 251-2500 Volunteers of America
340 West 85th St, New York, NY 10024, (212) 873-2600
Volunteer opportunities include:
  • Caregiver in an AIDS Respite Program
  • Recreation assistant in a residence for adults with special needs
  • Office assistant at our administration or program offices
  • Tutor/mentor for children living in a transitional residence for homeless families
  • Art therapy assistant at an emergency center for medically needy, frail, elderly and mentally ill homeless men
  • Computer trainer in a work rehabilitation program for men recovering from substance abuse
  • GED tutor at a residential halfway program for state offenders
Women In Need
115 W. 31st Street, New York 10001, (212) 695-4758
Childcare, housing and education for homeless women.

i volunteer!!!! with new york cares!!! it's awesome you should do it. not even for your school, for your soul.

Originally Posted by SiMPLYDiMPLY

i volunteer!!!! with new york cares!!! it's awesome you should do it. not even for your school, for your soul.
How easy is it get started...do they require any apps/background checks etc. I need to get this done like NOW
laugh.gif
. The website isn't working for me, what does it entail?

no its easy u just need to go to an orientation. make an account and sign up for one.
nycares is good because you can choose from an array of different things; helping (walking) animals, volunteering in homeless shelters doing arts and crafts w/kids, tutoring, going on field trips (once i went to MoMA - for free, also the museum of natural history) you can do things with senior citizens, revitalizingnature and parks blah blah

ex.

Join children from Prospect Family Inn, a transitional family shelter in the Bronx for monthly field trips. This month, spend a day in Central Park gaining anunderstanding on orienteering. Afterward, enjoy a picnic lunch and field games with the kids. 9:15am-3:00pm: 8 volunteers; (Bring a bagged lunch.) Key Word =Urban Adventures

ex

Play basketball and participate in various recreational activities with children, ages 4-12, from Urban Strategies, a transitional housing facility inBrooklyn. (9:30am - 1:30pm: 8 volunteers; $
glasses.gif
Key Word = Sport

ex

Paint detailed canvas murals at PS 171 M, also known as the Manhattan Institute for Academics and Visual Arts, a public school serving lower East Harlem, andUpper Yorkville. Murals will be on canvas and seen by hundreds of children a day. (10am - 3pm: 15 volunteers) Key Word = Paint

Originally Posted by SiMPLYDiMPLY

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

^^^^Good looks Dimply I'll give them a call tomorrow.
no need to call. u do everything online.
I googled the New York cares and found a link and created an account. This is really convenient, thanks a bunch.

I signed up for one of the orientations for Tuesday at Barnes n Nobles.
happy.gif

Back
Top Bottom