Want to Change the World? Vol. KONY 2012

Originally Posted by Nawzlew

http://ilto.wordpress.com...with-invisible-children/

Do you guys think this article is still relevant?
Some quotes.

"And back to Uganda. Uganda is no longer experiencing violence from the LRA. Yes, I said it. It’s an uncomfortable truth, but it is a truth. For about the last year, since before IC hit the scene, Kony and his troops have been pushed into Congo, into the Garamba National Forest there. He’s sick, starving, and on his last legs. For the first time, Uganda is in the middle of real peace talks and the rebels have laid down their arms and are assembling to make peace. Why? This is happening because Joseph Kony was defeated. The Uganda People’s Defense Force (UPDF) has beaten them back and Kony was sitting in Congo starving to death. Since March 2002, the UPDF has been allowed to carry out raids against the LRA into Southern Sudan and has even crossed into Congo, to the distress of most of the African community. Nonetheless, Operation Iron Fist, as this military offensive was called, has freed many child soldiers and sex slaves and brought them back to Uganda. The rebels again became very violent in 2003, but since 2004, the Ugandan government has been repeatedly beating the rebels and weakening them. Uganda is no longer allowed to enter Sudan or Congo to fight the LRA."

"Invisible Children is too late. It has taught us that MTV type media can get university students interested in a world crisis, the problem is it took too much time. Night commuting, outlined as one of the major problems in northern Uganda by the film, is practically non-existent now. Why? Peace is coming to the region. According to UN reports, children who still are commuting at night are not doing it because of safety concerns, but because they want to enjoy the amenities that NGO’s are offering in the towns, like Gulu, Kitgum, and Lira. At the peak of the commuting, there were between 30,000 and 40,000 children commuting. Now, estimates are below 10,000."
Doubt it. And from the sounds of it, it might also be false.

http://www.washingtonpost...17/gIQAny5YsL_story.html

This post was written on October 17, 2011. Way more recent than that article.

"When I was there in 2006, I talked to a boy forced by LRA rebels to execute his neighbors in order to break his ties with the past and to deaden his sympathy. I met another who was forced to bow in Kony’s presence — the rebel leader claims divinity — but who dared to look up in curiosity. The LRA soldiers took out one of the boy’s eyes in punishment. "

It doesn't seem that in 2006 things were all fine and dandy like your article makes it out to be. Also, Kony refused the peace talks that were discussed in the post that you just mentioned.

http://articles.latimes.c...orld/fg-congo-massacre11

Also- This article posted in 2009 says in the title that the conflict in Uganda spread to Congo, not completely shifted. Uganda is the heart, and the LRA are spreading and multiplying. It's clearly only getting worse..

^It's odd that an article written today would have incorrect info in it. Charity Navigator lists them at a 3/4 stars (though barely). Looking at the expense chart it is true that 32% of expenses are in direct services, but we don't know what consists of the $1 million in "compensation" costs consist of and if that relates to direct services.

What I find disturbing is from 2010 to 2011 their net assets more than tripled yet their direct services dropped by 500k and their film expenses grew by more than 7 times the amount from 2010.

Dunno, just what I saw from glancing through it.

Originally Posted by Vendetta

^It's odd that an article written today would have incorrect info in it. Charity Navigator lists them at a 3/4 stars (though barely). Looking at the expense chart it is true that 32% of expenses are in direct services, but we don't know what consists of the $1 million in "compensation" costs consist of and if that relates to direct services.

What I find disturbing is from 2010 to 2011 their net assets more than tripled yet their direct services dropped by 500k and their film expenses grew by more than 7 times the amount from 2010.

That article he posted was written on 2/11/2006 homie.. not today. Check the date on the right side of the text at the top.

Also- I'm pretty much done arguing in this thread. If some of you don't want to support this cause because you think it's sketchy or it won't work out, then don't. I'm not going to convince people by proving their conspiracy theories wrong all day. I saw the video and simply thought it was amazing.. could this be a complete hoax developed in order to get our money and falsely give us hope? Always possible.

But it seems that this issue and Kony 2012 is uniting the world.. the global response is immense and it seems that the human population is coming together to stop something that needs to be and can be stopped now. Our country is unified at the moment for the most part in agreeing that all of this is wrong, and that it should be stopped.

If this turns out to be a complete scam, so be it. But until I find out, my hope still remains for this cause. This issue is a real deal, whether or not this cause is. My hope is still there for the Uganda children and their future.. I just don't see why it is so difficult for some people here to do the same.
ohwell.gif

What worries me is that the money is supporting military intervention, but some of the people we're fighting are the children that Kony has under him. Wouldn't this affect child casualties?

saw everybody talking about it on Facebook. I refuse to wAtch the video tho. how many things are going on in this world right now to where people only care when they see others doing it. how long do you guys think this "movement" will last and do you honestly believe all donations/efforts made are sincerely going towards the cause

Originally Posted by spizike231

Originally Posted by Vendetta

That article he posted was written on 2/11/2006 homie.. not today. Check the date on the right side of the text at the top.

"
KONY 2012, viewed critically.

07 3 / 2012

[h2]We got trouble.[/h2]
For those asking what you can do to help, please link to visiblechildren.tumblr.com wherever you see KONY 2012 posts"

I wasn't referring to the article from 2006.  It's the one that relates to the subject I wrote about on 3/7/12.  I never said it was a scam.  Simply pointing out the facts from their public records.
Also, it sounds like nobody really knows what's going on over there.  I'm having trouble finding unbiased articles from the past two years.

^That's what I'm saying.

Like, ok, we kind of know where the money goes. It goes to help the military. But the people that the soldiers are fighting are the children that have been abducted by Kony. The military has also been accused of rape and other acts of violence, but IC defends them.

2 star - accountability and transparency
http://www.charitynavigat....summary&orgid=12429

Only 31% of funds go towards the charity cause

Of the $8.9 million you spent in 2011:
  • $1.7 million in US employee salaries
  • $357,000 in Film costs
  • $850,000 in Production costs
  • $244,000 in "professional services" (DC lobbyists)
  • $1.07 million in travel expenses
  • $400,000 in office rent in San Diego
  • $16,000 in Entertainment
  • etc...

http://www.reddit.com/r/v..._and_stop_joseph/c3ycvhb

I’m strongly opposed to the KONY 2012 campaign.

KONY 2012 is the product of a group called Invisible Children, a controversial activist group and not-for-profit. They’ve released 11 films, most with an accompanying bracelet colour (KONY 2012 is fittingly red), all of which focus on Joseph Kony. When we buy merch from them, when we link to their video, when we put up posters linking to their website, we support the organization. I don’t think that’s a good thing, and I’mnotalone.

Invisible Children has been condemned time and time again. As a registered not-for-profit, its finances are public. Last year, the organization spent $8,676,614. Only 31% went to their charity program (page 6)*. This is far from ideal, and Charity Navigator rates their accountability 2/4 stars because they haven’t had their finances externally audited. But it goes way deeper than that.

The group is in favour of direct military intervention, and their money funds the Ugandan government’s army and various other military forces. Here’s a photo of the founders of Invisible Children posing with weapons and personnel of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army. Both the Ugandan army and Sudan People’s Liberation Army are riddled with accusations of rape and looting, but Invisible Children defends them, arguing that the Ugandan army is “better equipped than that of any of the other affected countries

I havent watched all of the vid yet. My little brother posted it on Facebook and he decided to donate all of his birthday money which is about 130 bucks. Hes only 13. Its really cool seeing him believe in something and want to take action at such a young age.

This is a real sad story, I hope they can get this idiot locked up

Originally Posted by Mr4thQuarter

This movement is nice and all but... why are people so concerned over this instead of the problems their own nation (specifically, our own US)  faces? There are issues we should be addressing within our own nation and if creating a movement causes change then why aren't people standing up for our rights being taken away day by day. Everyone says that our nation can care less about us, yet this movement wants me to believe that it'll do something about some dude out in Africa? Hard to believe. Not taking away from the cause but there are far more important things to be concerned with or to stand up for. Soon we might end up in the same position as them, slaves to a system unable to escape if no action is placed.

I agree with you dude. it's going to sound heartless, but why are the american youth not as important as the youth of a foreign country. Its like feeding the homeless instead of bettering your own family. While doing the first is noble, I wish more people would be this involved with our own issues. Granted you cant compare murder etc. with an issue such as education, btu why arent there FB moviements or trending topics about inner city crime, the crap that we call public education etc. Donate some money to a failing school district and help pay for some after school programs. Better our young people and get them out of this endless cycle they are in now. Id love to police the world, but shouldn't we worry about our home first.

We were up in arms with the whole directionless "we are the 99%" movement, but we are hesitant to fuel a movement which has momentum, direction and a leader with the purpose to only save lives and all it takes is spreading the word and donating a few dollars, I mean bros...is only 35$

And like Mouse said, just because you help this cause doesn't mean we gotta stop focusing on our own problems, don't you see that if this succeeds it will solidify the power of the people, the power of this new age of social media when used in a positive way, this might inspire other activists like this young man to take lead for other domestic ad international issues.

Originally Posted by ksteezy

We were up in arms with the whole directionless "we are the 99%" movement, but we are hesitant to fuel a movement which has momentum, direction and a leader with the purpose to only save lives and all it takes is spreading the word and donating a few dollars, I mean bros...is only 35$

And like Mouse said, just because you help this cause doesn't mean we gotta stop focusing on our own problems, don't you see that if this succeeds it will solidify the power of the people, the power of this new age of social media when used in a positive way, this might inspire other activists like this young man to take lead for other domestic ad international issues.

But thats the problem, people do forget about our own problems. People feel all good about helping this cause, but will still drive through crappy neighborhoods and kids wandering the streets aimlessly and not care at all.

Originally Posted by kiendienn

• $357,000 in Film costs
  • etc...

KONY 2012 is the product of a group called Invisible Children, a controversial activist group and not-for-profit. They’ve released 11 films, most with an accompanying bracelet colour (KONY 2012 is fittingly red), all of which focus on Joseph Kony. When we buy merch from them, when we link to their video, when we put up posters linking to their website, we support the organization. I don’t think that’s a good thing, and I’mnotalone.

Invisible Children has been condemned time and time again. As a registered not-for-profit, its finances are public. Last year, the organization spent $8,676,614. Only 31% went to their charity program (page 6)*. This is far from ideal, and Charity Navigator rates their accountability 2/4 stars because they haven’t had their finances externally audited. But it goes way deeper than that.

The group is in favour of direct military intervention, and their money funds the Ugandan government’s army and various other military forces. Here’s a photo of the founders of Invisible Children posing with weapons and personnel of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army. Both the Ugandan army and Sudan People’s Liberation Army are riddled with accusations of rape and looting, but Invisible Children defends them, arguing that the Ugandan army is “better equipped than that of any of the other affected countries

Originally Posted by blakep267

Originally Posted by ksteezy

But thats the problem, people do forget about our own problems. People feel all good about helping this cause, but will still drive through crappy neighborhoods and kids wandering the streets aimlessly and not care at all.

Because every movement needs a leader, a voice, big reason why the 99% movement went nowhere...like I said someone might feel inspired once they see how the media can be utilize in a positive way to solve problems and take positive actions for our own domestic issues...if this fails it just further proves we have absolutely no say in what our leaders do...

Originally Posted by Coolidge Effect

After seeing how the money is allocated in this charity, it seems as if it is a publicity hype for the Invisible Children.

Whether or not Kony is removed, does not mean that the crisis will end. Just as one leader is removed another one can be implemented.
The number 2 guy on the list they keep showing from the ICC is from Uganda as well.  You know if Kony is removed that this guy probably has something to do with the movement as well and will just step into his place.

For some reason this feels like a hypebeast movement...
everybody is copping action kits tho. good for them

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

Originally Posted by kiendienn

• $357,000 in Film costs
  • etc...

It's great to see this catching on and people learning about this disgusting acts that have been going on

I just donated. Hope they can lock this dude up ASAP but then to not stop there because we know someone else we step into konas place

Consistency and persistency is the key. Let's get these bastards

Back
Top Bottom