War with Iran on the horizon?

U.S. Weighing Readiness for Military Action Against Iran

[size=-1]By Ann Scott Tyson
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, April 26, 2008; A07
[/size]

The nation's top military officer said yesterday that the Pentagon is planning for "potential military courses of action" as one of several options against Iran, criticizing what he called the Tehran government's "increasingly lethal and malign influence" in Iraq.

Adm. Michael Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said a conflict with Iran would be "extremely stressing" but not impossible for U.S. forces, pointing to reserve capabilities in the Navy and Air Force.

"It would be a mistake to think that we are out of combat capability," he said at a Pentagon news conference. Speaking of Iran's intentions, Mullen said: "They prefer to see a weak Iraq neighbor. . . . They have expressed long-term goals to be the regional power."

Mullen made clear that he prefers a diplomatic solution and does not expect imminent action. "I have no expectations that we're going to get into a conflict with Iran in the immediate future," he said.

Mullen's statements and others by Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates recently signal new rhetorical pressure on Iran by the Bush administration amid what officials say is increased Iranian provision of weapons, training and financing to Iraqi groups that are attacking and killing Americans.

In a speech Monday, Gates said Iran "is hell-bent on acquiring nuclear weapons." He said war would be "disastrous" but added that "the military option must be kept on the table, given the destabilizing policies of the regime and the risks inherent in a future Iranian nuclear threat."

Army Gen. David H. Petraeus, the top U.S. commander in Iraq, who was nominated this week to head all U.S. forces in the Middle East, is preparing a briefing soon on increased Iranian involvement in Iraq, Mullen said. The briefing will detail, for example, the discovery in Iraq of weapons that were very recently manufactured in Iran, he said.

"The Iranian government pledged to halt such activities some months ago. It's plainly obvious they have not," Mullen said. He said unrest in the Iraqi city of Basra had highlighted a "level of involvement" by Iran that had not been clear previously.

But while Mullen and Gates have said that the government in Tehran must know of Iranian actions in Iraq, Mullen said he has "no smoking gun which could prove that the highest leadership is involved."

In an incident early local time Thursday, a cargo ship contracted by the U.S. military fired "several bursts" of warning shots at two fast boats that approached in international waters off the Iranian coast, defense officials said yesterday.

The unidentified small boats approached the Westward Venture, a ship carrying U.S. military hardware, as it headed north through the central Persian Gulf, said Cmdr. Lydia Robertson, spokeswoman for the Navy's 5th Fleet.

The U.S. ship initiated communications, and after receiving no response, it fired a flare. The speedboats continued to approach, so the ship fired warning shots. The boats then left the area, Robertson said.

In January, five Iranian patrol boats sped toward a U.S. warship in the Gulf and dropped small, boxlike objects in the water, an incident that President Bush called "a provocative act." The objects turned out to pose no threat to U.S. vessels.

The american people aren't stupid enough to support another war. At least i hope they aren't. Many were fooled by the gov into supporting the war iniraq and making these dudes with money in "Defense" companies ridiculous amount of money.

If the american people are foolish enough to allow our tax dollars to go to waste again, i'm becoming a hippie and protesting.

Originally Posted by nYcHipHopHippo

The american people aren't stupid enough to support another war. At least i hope they aren't. Many were fooled by the gov into supporting the war in iraq and making these dudes with money in "Defense" companies ridiculous amount of money.

If the american people are foolish enough to allow our tax dollars to go to waste again, i'm becoming a hippie and protesting.

indifferent.gif

who supports the war in iraq? no one, we have no choice.

even if the american people didn't support it how do you go about stopping the govn't? the military is spread thin... if we messed with iran a draftwould be inevitable

Originally Posted by Kickmatic23

even if the american people didn't support it how do you go about stopping the govn't? the military is spread thin... if we messed with iran a draft would be inevitable

laugh.gif
at you being that naive. you think this country would settle for a draft? that the dems would pass that? would never happen

like a military guy said on digg, the military is spread thin and if we did anything it would be through the skies. we don't have resources for troopsin iran

God I hope not.

obama, hillary or whomever better not let this happen.

We all know what Iran is capable of so I don't think using excessive force would be the right thing
laugh.gif
, they will bury half of the country with one Nuc.

PS: if they let the draft thing happen, I am pulling the Muhammed Ali Stunt.

Of course it's on the horizon. This country carries out problems with other countries like it's 17 A.D.

If America allows McCain to get into office, we are guaranteed to go into Iran. When we invaded Iraq, it was simply to make our presence felt in the area; theoriginal target always was getting to Iran.

if there's a LEGITIMATE reason for us to go to war... then so be it.

But if it's started for the hell of it... we are still gonna kick +*$ and take names.

Either way... there has to be a peaceful resolution to all of this.

Originally Posted by finnns2003

even if the american people didn't support it how do you go about stopping the govn't? the military is spread thin... if we messed with iran a draft would be inevitable

laugh.gif
at you being that naive. you think this country would settle for a draft? that the dems would pass that? would never happen

all bush needs to do is invade before hes out of office and its the next man (maybe womans) problem.. he doesn't need the american people.. he invadediraq no problem... iran shouldn't be a problem for him to invade either

all bush needs to do is invade before hes out of office and its the next man (maybe womans) problem.. he doesn't need the american people.. he invaded iraq no problem... iran shouldn't be a problem for him to invade either

Yeah...the time frame isn't long enough for him to bring us to war before he leaves office. As for Iraq..it was authorized by Congress..so he did need theAmerican people.

i dont see how this can happen, would Bush seriously make this happen in the next 8 months? cause i dont see any of today's candidates making that happen

Originally Posted by moonmaster3

all bush needs to do is invade before hes out of office and its the next man (maybe womans) problem.. he doesn't need the american people.. he invaded iraq no problem... iran shouldn't be a problem for him to invade either

Yeah...the time frame isn't long enough for him to bring us to war before he leaves office. As for Iraq..it was authorized by Congress..so he did need the American people.

Exactly. Republicans made up a reason to go to a couple wars, they can make up one more.

Originally Posted by moonmaster3

Yeah...the time frame isn't long enough for him to bring us to war before he leaves office. As for Iraq..it was authorized by Congress..so he did need the American people.

congress doesn't need the american people... they go based on lobbyists

Originally Posted by SWiFT Yons

God I hope not.

obama, hillary or whomever better not let this happen.

We all know what Iran is capable of so I don't think using excessive force would be the right thing
laugh.gif
, they will bury half of the country with one Nuc.

PS: if they let the draft thing happen, I am pulling the Muhammed Ali Stunt.

Hardly. Don't let the media fool you, they're still only Iran.

Originally Posted by finnns2003

laugh.gif

yeah but again, the dems would never pass this. fool me once... (
laugh.gif
bush even messed up this quote)

Originally Posted by BaronDavis5

Originally Posted by nYcHipHopHippo

The american people aren't stupid enough to support another war. At least i hope they aren't. Many were fooled by the gov into supporting the war in iraq and making these dudes with money in "Defense" companies ridiculous amount of money.

indifferent.gif

who supports the war in iraq? no one, we have no choice.

My man...seriously...you suck at niketalk. I've now joined the group of NTers who don't like you
laugh.gif
Dishing out stone faces when they're not warranted. How are u gunnahave 4000 posts and still be emotion happy like you just joined nt.

Where did i once say that people presently support the war in iraq? You must be 12 years old to think that this war never had support. Back in 02 or wheneverit was...a lot of people were fooled by the government into supporting the war in iraq because they allegedly possessed weapons of mass destructions and hadstrong ties with al-qaeda.

For that BaronDavis5...you get a very well-deserved stone face.

indifferent.gif

Back
Top Bottom