Was invited to an interview/information session vol. gimme tips

Never sent a thank you letter in my life.

Never took notes in an interview either.

I don't know what kind of interviews you guys have but mine are usually a mix of technical and behavioral questions. Only thing I bring in is an extra copy of my resume to look at when they want to address something on it.

Last edited:

I don't know what kind of interviews you guys have but mine are usually a mix of technical and behavioral questions. Only thing I bring in is an extra copy of my resume to look at when they want to address something on it.

Usually, when I see an interviewee looking at his/her resume--flags go up. You should be able to walk me through your resume without having to ever look at it. Because you know where you worked, how long you worked there, the dates you worked there from and what your responsibilities were and/or anything you want to highlight about that work experience. The second I see someone looking at their resume or even having it out in front of them, I know BS is about to start spewing out their mouth. That's when I make the interview tough.

Don't look at your resume, it'll make the interviewer much easier for you and the interviewer.

Last edited:
I dislike when interviewee's take notes during my interview.

I don't discourage it, but usually the interviewee ends up doing nothing but taking notes throughout the entire interview and doesn't really get what I'm trying to say. It's honestly just a useless distraction to yourself and it sets up for a useless benchmark (showing you pay attention).

Asking questions is encouraged though.
i feel like this depends more on the interviewer, though.

For me personally, I don't like carrying a lot of stuff around so if I go to an interview, I'm only taking a small leather portfolio with a few copies of resume, pen, and looseleaf (never gets used though)

Anyway, when i was interviewing for the position i currently have, my supervisor said that it'd be better to have a notepad for notes so i guess she's more the type that likes seeing that. 

Regarding thank you letters, it all depends but it doesn't really make or break a person's chances unless the interviewer is specifically waiting for a thank you email. And if they're the type not to offer a position because of no email, then they going to miss out/has missed out on a lot of people.  Again for my current position, I interviewed day before thanksgiving, sent a thank you email on black friday, and HR emailed me back to tell me i got the position. My supervisor didn't even see the thank you email until a week later since she was on vacation

Usually, when I see an interviewee looking at his/her resume--flags go up. You should be able to walk me through your resume without having to ever look at it. Because you know where you worked, how long you worked there, the dates you worked there from and what your responsibilities were and/or anything you want to highlight about that work experience. The second I see someone looking at their resume or even having it out in front of them, I know BS is about to start spewing out their mouth. That's when I make the interview tough.

Don't look at your resume, it'll make the interviewer much easier for you and the interviewer.
Nah. That's a you thing. I've had interviewers say "well lets walk through your resume" and have me pull mine out so I know what they're referring to. I'm not reading it like its a script.

Nah. That's a you thing. I've had interviewers say "well lets walk through your resume" and have me pull mine out so I know what they're referring to. I'm not reading it like its a script.

View media item 800888

I've never heard, seen or been in an interview for a professional job where the interviewer asked me to pull out my resume and look at it with him/her. If they want clarification, they'll just ask about the company and you should be able to take it from there.

I've read similar elsewhere from other people in charge of hiring. That it hardly ever helps, but more times hurts. I think this might be a more outdated concept, like printing resumes on the "special" paper.
I don't care so much for the "special" paper as I do for consistency in the resume.

When I look through resumes, I look to see if there's consistency and attention to detail. This is beyond spelling and grammatical errors.
Expound on that please. Also if a firm already has a version of my resume that I submitted to the career portal, is it a red flag if the one I bring to the in person interview has been altered?

Last edited:
Expound on that please. Also if a firm already has a version of my resume that I submitted to the career portal, is it a red flag if the one I bring to the in person interview has been altered?

When you go into your interview, the interviewers will already have your resume on file and printed out with them. No need for you to bring any extra resumes. Now, if there are some minor changes to your resume--please let the interviewer know and show them a copy of the new resume. The interviewer will then take a look at both resumes to see how drastic the changes are. If it's just putting in end dates to certain work experiences or anything else minuscule, they'll let it go. They don't want to see different GPA's or totally different work experience. Then red flags go off.

Now, as for the consistency with the resume. I don't know how to explain this one without showing you a resume that fits this description. I'll try though.

A good resume that shows consistency and attention to detail will consist of proper usage of space, consistent tone and context throughout the resume, margins+lines all being straight and even, font all the same throughout the resume, exact number of bullet points in each and every category. Appropriate categories should be listed in alphabetical order (ie. courses taken), unless it's work experience. That goes by reverse chronological order.

There's some more that I'm forgetting here, but I'm sure it'll come along later.

Investment Banking is all about attention to detail and presentation. Usually I can tell if a candidate is suitable for it just by looking at his/her resume for a quick minute.

Last edited:

When you go into your interview, the interviewers will already have your resume on file and printed out with them. No need for you to bring any extra resumes. Now, if there are some minor changes to your resume--please let the interviewer know and show them a copy of the new resume. The interviewer will then take a look at both resumes to see how drastic the changes are. If it's just putting in end dates to certain work experiences or anything else minuscule, they'll let it go. They don't want to see different GPA's or totally different work experience. Then red flags go off.

Now, as for the consistency with the resume. I don't know how to explain this one without showing you a resume that fits this description. I'll try though.

A good resume that shows consistency and attention to detail will consist of proper usage of space, consistent tone and context throughout the resume, margins+lines all being straight and even, font all the same throughout the resume, exact number of bullet points in each and every category. Appropriate categories should be listed in alphabetical order (ie. courses taken), unless it's work experience. That goes by reverse chronological order.

There's some more that I'm forgetting here, but I'm sure it'll come along later.

Investment Banking is all about attention to detail and presentation. Usually I can tell if a candidate is suitable for it just by looking at his/her resume for a quick minute.

If the candidate can't put extreme attention to detail on his/her resume, how am I supposed to believe they're going to put the same kind of detail on a pitchbook with a $5 billion deal riding on it?

After doing research this "internship" is basically selling insurance to family and friends and its all commission based :lol:

so its like one of those pyramid type businesses.

After doing research this "internship" is basically selling insurance to family and friends and its all commission based
laugh.gif

Actually, that's just most financial services position whether it's insurance, investments, or Real Estate. Your immediate circle of influence will be who you sell to first since you already have a relationship with them.

After doing research this "internship" is basically selling insurance to family and friends and its all commission based
laugh.gif

Don't worry bro happens to us all at least once early in our career. At least you caught wind before you actually spent your time going to the "interview".

laugh.gif

Nah thats exactly what a finanacial representative does. You're in essence a sales person, but with the addition of having to manage all the pruducts that you sell on behalf of the clients.

After doing research this "internship" is basically selling insurance to family and friends and its all commission based :lol:

Actually, that's just most financial services position whether it's insurance, investments, or Real Estate. Your immediate circle of influence will be who you sell to first since you already have a relationship with them.

yeah thats true.

laugh.gif

Nah thats exactly what a finanacial representative does. You're in essence a sales person, but with the addition of having to manage all the pruducts that you sell on behalf of the clients.

hmmmm u guys have me second guessing.

but i think this was one of those things like primerica or herbalife or cutcco knives

yeah u can b successful but from most people ive seen do it its not really gunna happen.

Last edited:
hmmmm u guys have me second guessing.

but i think this was one of those things like primerica or herbalife or cutcco knives

yeah u can b successful but from most people ive seen do it its not really gunna happen.
What makes you say that? Typically there's a pretty high failure rate with any entry level sales job so they just hire a bunch of people and let the 90% fall through the cracks.

Back
Top Bottom