Was Mike Tyson a Overated Boxer?

Me and my friends was having a debate 1 day about mike tyson. They were saying how tyson was oneof the greatest fighters of all time. IMO, i think he is mad overrated. Like when did he beat a quality fighter. All those dudes he was knocking out was bums. Larry Holmes and Bruno wasnt that good. they was washed up. Its funny how when tyson lost, they made up an excuses on why he lost.

Like Buster Douglass beat him in his prime.Holyfiled came outta of retirement and beat him twice.(Yall know what happen the 2nd time they fight) I remember watching aa tyson fight at H20(club in DC) where tyson fought at the MCI center. He lost. He quit during the fight. Also Lennox Lewis beat him. Somebody explain why he great?

Mike Tyson had a lot of demons before fighting so that played a major role in his fighting abilities. However people were in love with his knockout ability, so he will always get that top heavyweight conversation.

Originally Posted by CAFinest23

Mike Tyson had a lot of demons before fighting so that played a major role in his fighting abilities. However people were in love with his knockout ability, so he will always get that top heavyweight conversation.

Tyson mental toughness wasnt to good either. He did have some very funny interviews. Very Entertaining

Originally Posted by SportsJunkie

Originally Posted by JoeClear

Hell no, he was extremely well trained and skilled before Don King  got in the  mix
what did don king do to him?

Robbed him blind, didn't surround Tyson with quality trainers, didn't hire a qualified lawyer for Tyson's rape trial, cut off his true support system.  

Originally Posted by ScarsOrScabs

How old are you?
i am 27. I have watch tyson when i was super young because my father was a huge tyson . I wasa tyson fan myself but he knocked out lot of bums.

Originally Posted by KingJay718

Originally Posted by SportsJunkie

Originally Posted by JoeClear

Hell no, he was extremely well trained and skilled before Don King  got in the  mix
what did don king do to him?

Robbed him blind, didn't surround Tyson with quality trainers, didn't hire a qualified lawyer for Tyson's rape trial, cut off his true support system.  

30t6p3b.gif
 This and it was what he constantly needed to stay SOMEWHAT under control and stable.

If his mentor, father figure, trainer Cus D'Amato hadn't died, Tyson would've been the greatest fighter ever to live. Unfortunately after he passed, Tyson had so many bad people around him it derailed his career. It's so sad to thnik he blew over $300 mil in earnings & has nothing really to show for it...

Originally Posted by psk2310

If his mentor, father figure, trainer Cus D'Amato hadn't died, Tyson would've been the greatest fighter ever to live. Unfortunately after he passed, Tyson had so many bad people around him it derailed his career. It's so sad to thnik he blew over $300 mil in earnings & has nothing really to show for it...
QFT

... and op its hard to understand what your saying in some of your post you said your 27 right?

Tyson is kinda overrated but then again as mentioned prior, the people who he surrounded himself with really screwed him over... which sucks because dude was really one of a kind imo.

Tyson won on pure talent with no real guidance, ask anyone who ever fought him if he was overrated.

If Tyson had someone there to polish his skills and mentor him his career would have taken to the level of Ali in my opinion.

Tyson's biggest fight after prison was his demons, only reason those other fighters beat him.

pure fighter this guy was not overrated. He wasn't right in the head, which was his demise. Honestly i've never heard of another fighter being scared before a fight. If you ask Tyson's opponents, they will surely tell you they were scared. His knockout ability is unmatched to me in his prime. Still gives me chills when i watch his highlights.

Tyson when he was young & in his prime was a force
sick.gif
30t6p3b.gif

What he did during that time period can't be considered overrated. Plus you mix in the fact that he was going off pure talent makes it even more impressive. Then D'Amato got in the mix & helped coach him & look after him... That was a great look for Tyson. After he passed things started to go down hill little by little.
ohwell.gif

tired.gif

Ali said it Tyson was on his way to being the best if givens, king and jail didn't screw him.

Sports junkie you must not be a sports junkie to even say that stuff knowing the buster fight was bs. You could tell the old Tyson wasn't there just watch him in that match and look at tysons movements and even his face. That wasn't the prime ima knock you out Tyson. He could have beat all of those men you listed if he had his trainer.

Originally Posted by Anubis38

Sports junkie you must not be a sports junkie to even say that stuff knowing the buster fight was bs. You could tell the old Tyson wasn't there just watch him in that match and look at tysons movements and even his face. That wasn't the prime ima knock you out Tyson. He could have beat all of those men you listed if he had his trainer.

How was buster fight bs? The fight happen in 1990. Tyson was in his prime still. I watch the fight with my father.he ain't never beat a quality opponent. Them dudes he was knocking out was bums. I can go on forever.

Tyson? Overrated? &%$# outta here
laugh.gif

his power was straight up ridiculous

Back
Top Bottom