Washington Wizards 2009 Draft / Offseason Thread

This is exactly why I was on my Blair soapbox.

Drafting him made too much sense, not only at need, but even their cap situation.

We've paid Lozeno Williams, Jim Macvil'bum, and Etan "Mo Betta Poet" Thomas more $$$ combined than I'd ever see in my lifetime, withLITTLE to show for it. We couldn't give a guy a non-guaranteed contract (or 1 year deal) to hustle?
frown.gif

Only thing is if a "proposal" for that 2nd round pick was made before he slipped. But, knowing the Wizards, they made thatdeal to Houston "sign and sealed" BEFORE the draft, not considering someone will slip to them. Hell, they might have made it the deal rightthere on the spot after the 1st round. Either way, it sucked.

Not even Wilcox will accept $2 mil/1 year deal in this new NBA. Time to grab some 6'10" goofer out of Summer League for the minimum.

eyes.gif

Flip will earn his paycheck this season, that's for sure. I just don't see the minutes, unless dudes go down with injuries, and Foye and Miller are"insurance" for us.

Either way, with current rosters, I got Boston, Orlando, Atlanta, Miami, Cavs, 76ers, Pistons, Chicago and even the Bobcats ahead of us in the East.

We fighting for 7-8th place man.

Exactly. I still can't believe anyone would argue that the Wizards are a better basketball team because of that deal. You weren't going to get aplayer with a more inexpensive and versatile contract than one drafted in the second round. The deal was likely already in place prior to the draft, butthat's also inexcusable. You expect a team to give its best effort on the floor, so it only makes sense that we expect management to give its best effortoff the floor. That's not happening. They practically tanked games last season and, this offseason, their moves were financially motivated and placedprofit margins ahead of competitiveness. It'll come back to bite them, as I foresee another year of half-empty seats at the Verizon Center. Fans willsupport a winner. They've been given no indication that this team is substantially better than the one that just finished dead last in the East. Ahealthy Gil puts the team in playoff contention, but they're still fielding a fatally flawed and glaringly incomplete roster. There's little reasonfor casual fans to buzz about this season and a .500 start early on will do nothing to change minds.

There are no impact signings out there.

No one of value is taking a one year deal for 2 mil. You can do better than that overseas. At best, we're targeting somebody like Joe Smith who's inthe twilight and just wants one more year of guaranteed money in the states.

Kev,

Thats pretty deep faith to say 7th or 8th place is a possibility.. lol

I mean there are pure scraps left. Scraps that you wouldn't look to the ABA for. I mean, this is when you look to the Developmental league for the Diamondscause whats left now should just leave or retire. How other than paying Gil, can the Wiz be in this state of sorry affairs?

I mean you are salary cap strung? REALLY? How? What have you had to show for being at your salary Cap? I mean look at allll the other teams who dont even hitthe Cap that are in contention year after year. We are in the Nations capital and no one wants to play here unless traded or wants that payday....

REALLY?

All the great players who have been here....as I've said MANY times before. Gone elsewhere and prospered. Notice I said the GREAT players...

I actually feel bad now. I must say, i dont EVER want the Wiz to change their name back the Bullets cause I dont want to be a fan anymore, cause thats the onlyway I'd be half way interested.

Kev... yeah..Im with you. Consult with Mr. Thomas to come and pick your players... then send him back to Middle Florida.. lol

Originally Posted by Method Man

At best, we're targeting somebody like Joe Smith who's in the twilight and just wants one more year of guaranteed money in the states.
Historically, that is what this organization is known for.

The past 20 seasons, the amount of former NBA vets who had their last years in the NBA in Landover/D.C. (but biggest paychecks of their careers) is like a"who's who" list of "Who? O RLY?"

From Buck Johnson to Tyrone Nesby, to Scott Skiles to "$5 million for 20 games, 60 minutes total" Ralph Sampson. Yes, Ralph was a Bullet...

I hope they all framed those million+ dollar checks from Abe...
indifferent.gif

I'll def. be going down 85 this upcoming season a lot more than up 95.
eyes.gif

Lets look over the History that is the Les Boulez...and later the Izards...

First up? The Bullets... You haven't been good since Phil, Wes and Len Elmore got drafted? The History of the Abe owned Bullets isn't even .500...

[table][tr][td]Year[/td] [td]League[/td] [td]Record[/td] [td]Finish[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1996-97[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]44 - 38 .537[/td] [td]4 (17 GB)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1995-96[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]39 - 43 .476[/td] [td]4 (21 GB)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1994-95[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]21 - 61 .256[/td] [td]7 (36 GB)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1993-94[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]24 - 58 .293[/td] [td]7 (33 GB)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1992-93[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]22 - 60 .268[/td] [td]7 (38 GB)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1991-92[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]25 - 57 .305[/td] [td]6 (26 GB)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1990-91[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]30 - 52 .366[/td] [td]4 (26 GB)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1989-90[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]31 - 51 .378[/td] [td]4 (22 GB)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1988-89[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]40 - 42 .488[/td] [td]4 (12 GB)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1987-88[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]38 - 44 .463[/td] [td]2 (19 GB)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1986-87[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]42 - 40 .512[/td] [td]3 (17 GB)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1985-86[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]39 - 43 .476[/td] [td]3 (28 GB)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1984-85[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]40 - 42 .488[/td] [td]4 (23 GB)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1983-84[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]35 - 47 .427[/td] [td]5 (27 GB)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1982-83[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]42 - 40 .512[/td] [td]5 (23 GB)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1981-82[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]43 - 39 .524[/td] [td]4 (20 GB)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1980-81[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]39 - 43 .476[/td] [td]4 (23 GB)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1979-80[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]39 - 43 .476[/td] [td]3 (22 GB)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1978-79[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]54 - 28 .659[/td] [td]1 (0 GB)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1977-78[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]44 - 38 .537[/td] [td]2 (8 GB)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1976-77[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]48 - 34 .585[/td] [td]2 (1 GB)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1975-76[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]48 - 34 .585[/td] [td]2 (1 GB)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1974-75[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]60 - 22 .732[/td] [td]1 (0 GB)[/td] [/tr][/table]

Back
Top Bottom