Washington Wizards 2009 Draft / Offseason Thread

Methodical Management

Staff member
Co-Founder
Pop quiz, hotshot:

Your name is Eddie Grunfeld. The highlight of your front-office career thus far has been assembling a team with a core of Ray Allen, Sam Cassell (now aWizards assistant coach), and Glenn "Big Dog" Robinson that made it to the Eastern Conference finals in 2001. You've vowed to convert theWizards, a perennial laughingstock, into a perennial contender. Luck, and history, are not on your side.

We'll begin with your liabilities. You're pasty, you have a 1980s Tom Selleck mustache, you are effectively capped out, and your team finished deadlast in the Eastern Conference.[sup]1[/sup] Your star player, to whom you've committed an additional $96 million over the next five seasons, has lost a good portion of his explosiveness and has played a total of 15 games in the last two years. Only twoplayers come off the books this year: Juan Dixon and the already departed Dee Brown. Mike James holds a player option for next season at a salary of $6.4million that he wouldn't exercise at gunpoint. Etan Thomas, known for his intelligence, is more likely to enlist in the Marines than utilize his earlytermination option to void the final year of his current deal, good for $7.3 million next year.

Your assets are as follows: you hold one of the top five picks in the 2009 NBA Draft, with a 20% chance of landing the #1 pick in tonight's draftlottery.the 5th pick in the 2009 NBA Draft. (Of course, most observers have classified this as one of the weakest drafts in recent memory.) Brightspots on your roster include the maddeningly inconsistent and routinely winded JaVale McGee, solid role player Dominic McGuire, the serviceable Brendan Haywood(arguably MJ's best trade acquisition), consummate professional Antawn Jamison, and cap-friendly Caron Butler, one of few players who bring a physicalpresence to the lineup. Perhaps most importantly, you play in the Eastern Conference where, like a legacy child applying to an ivy-league school, your resuméneed only be marginally above average.

What do you do? What do you do?

[sup]1[/sup] In fact, your team's performance was woeful even by Washington Bullets standards. The lowest wintotal for any Washington Bullets team was 22 in 1995. The 2008-2009 Washington Wizards finished the season with 19 wins and 63 losses - tied with the 2002Wizards for the worst record since the franchise's opening campaign as the Chicago Packers in 1961, who were so abysmal they had to change their name thefollowing year to trick people into coming to their games. Times may have changed, but the Bullets/Wizards are still setting the standard for ineptitude in theEastern Conference.

If Julia Roberts met Lyle Lovett at age 6, started dating him at 13, married him at 21, gave up show business and worked in a coal mine to support him,listened to him warble and whine every night, and lived with him in this fashion with unerring fidelity until she died, she'd be ALMOST as blindly,inexplicably loyal as the average Wizards fan.

I'm not a Wizards fan at all. But if I don't get the first pick, I would go with Thabeet.

You have enough scoring with Arenas, Butler, and Jamison. You need rebounding and shot blocking.

But i'm sure Grunfeld will find a way to blow the pick, and get Rubio. Only way you can justify that pick, is if you trade Arenas.

We definitely need a center but I dont think Thabeet would be a good pick for the Wiz because we lack the ability to develop players.

I would go with Earl Clark. At 6 10 he can step in and back up Jamison at the 4. He has a nice little jumper and a good post game as well. Reminds me of aRashad Lewis type player in the future years.

But i'm sure Grunfeld will find a way to blow the pick, and get Rubio. Only way you can justify that pick, is if you trade Arenas Rubio.
Fixed. Nobody's taking Gil's contract. Short of a bankruptcy hearing, he's staying on the books. On the bright side, he averaged 10dimes per contest, for whatever that's worth, in debuting his surgically reconstructed game at the end of the year. Rubio likely wouldn't pan out foryou until after his rookie deal expires - and you probably can't move Gil until he's in the last year of this contract anyway. What's the point,no pun intended, of developing the guy in the background only to lose him in free agency? More than likely, you'll have to ride with Arenas as yourstarting point. He's shown excellent vision in the past and he's more than capable of shooting off screens and handling the pick and roll. He'sjust not gonna be able, in all likelihood, to slash, attack the basket, and break people down off the dribble in iso situations the way he once could.

Rubio's more hype than substance at this point, so you should be able to find a sucker out there willing to take him along with a couple of theWizards' many bad contracts in exchange for solid frontcourt help. You had an issue at the reserve guard spot last season, but the Wizards onlyexacerbated that by adding to more incapable points who'll hang around until the fool's goldrush that is 2010. At present, you have more glaringweaknesses to address than Arenas' backup. Rubio off the bench doesn't help this team more than a solid 4 or 5.

My problem with Thabeet, right now, is that he doesn't give us the toughness we need down low. We need somebody to body people, to keep players OUT of thepaint, to be an enforcer and intimidator. We need a Kendrick Perkins type of player down low. Yes, the Wizards could try playing Thabeet at the 4 alongsideHaywood, but I question his lateral quickness and there are a lot of athletic power forwards out there capable of stretching the defense and turning him into aliability out there. I don't think he gives you that much more, honestly, than McGee. The question mark there is his drive. How much production wouldyou get out of him IF he demonstrated the commitment and determination lacking in an Andray Blatche, who will never live up to potential?

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Wow, the 5th pick.......
laugh.gif

The only person that MIGHT be there that the Wizards could use is Blair.

Not really any other big men left, except Mullens.

If I'm Grunfield I draft

Thabeet,

Rubio,

Jordan Hill from Arizona
pimp.gif

The bottom line is the Wizards need a Power Forward, not a Center trying to play Power forward, who can step out and make a 15 footer and play gooddefense. Since we won't have a shot at Griffin, we should pick the second best PF available. And then if I'm Flip, I'd do the smart thing and makethis my starting line up/ First reserves

Arenas/ Crittendon
Butler/ Young (and send Stevenson packing)
Jamison/ McGuire
Hill/ Blatche (because he doesn't have a good enough post game to be a 4)
Haywood/ Magee

MEN WHAT THE !%*$ THE WIZARDS SHOULD DERSERVE #1 DRAFT PICK IM STILL MAD OVER IT MAN!!!!!

Originally Posted by RamZs8906

If I'm Grunfield I draft

Thabeet,

Rubio,

Jordan Hill from Arizona
pimp.gif

The bottom line is the Wizards need a Power Forward, not a Center trying to play Power forward, who can step out and make a 15 footer and play good defense. Since we won't have a shot at Griffin, we should pick the second best PF available. And then if I'm Flip, I'd do the smart thing and make this my starting line up/ First reserves

Arenas/ Crittendon
Butler/ Young (and send Stevenson packing)
Jamison/ McGuire
Hill/ Blatche (because he doesn't have a good enough post game to be a 4)
Haywood/ Magee

Jordan Hill is a good player. But who do the Wizards have that will force someone to think twice about coming in the lane?

No shot blocker/defensive stopper=another draft lottery in 2010.

Haywood is soft as Charmin, and McGee is only 200lbs. If Thabeet falls, you guys better get him.

ESPN just had J Harden as a possible "projected" pick for the Wizards. What do you Wizard fans think about Harden???

On a side note the Lakers Nuggets game was Fire.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by 731balla

ESPN just had J Harden as a possible "projected" pick for the Wizards. What do you Wizard fans think about Harden???

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Not a Wizards fan but I love Harden's game. Dude could work on going right, but he can get anywhere and the floor and has a great jumper. I dunno ifWashington is the right place for him though. If Thabeet is available, the Wiz should pull the trigger.

Originally Posted by shabooyah1124

Originally Posted by 731balla

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Not a Wizards fan but I love Harden's game. Dude could work on going right, but he can get anywhere and the floor and has a great jumper. I dunno if Washington is the right place for him though. If Thabeet is available, the Wiz should pull the trigger.

I really enjoy watching Harden play as well. That's part of the reason I was asking.

I HIGHLY doubt that Thabeet will be available for the 5th pick. I'm pretty sure that Memphis will not hesitate to scoop him as the 2nd pick, if not thenthe OKC will most likely scoop.

All in all, it was terribly unlucky draw for the Wizards.
eyes.gif

Im waiting for Meth's well worded essay of disgust...
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

It doesn't take an essay to say, "We got screwed." This was, as we all knew, the worst possible outcome. It required not only theWizards to fall entirely out of the top 3, but the even more unlikely possibility that Sacramento lost on every draw as well. It's pathetic, andthat's what we've come to expect out of this franchise but, then, we can hardly fault the team for the outcome of a "random" draw.

Jordan Hill is a good player. But who do the Wizards have that will force someone to think twice about coming in the lane?

No shot blocker/defensive stopper=another draft lottery in 2010.

Haywood is soft as Charmin, and McGee is only 200lbs. If Thabeet falls, you guys better get him.

I agree completely that the Wizards desperately need a shot blocking defensive presence, someone with physical size to police the lane, keep theopposing squad off the glass, and bring some desperately needed intimidation to our frontcourt.

The rest I see differently.

1. The Wizards roster, as is, could easily qualify for the playoffs in the Eastern conference. Unless Detroit hits a home run in free agency using theirnewfound cap room, that is a rebuilding team. The Sixers have some decisions to make as well, specifically the status of Andre Miller. The could go eitherway. Atlanta's mediocre and also has a point guard situation to resolve. The Wizards are easily in the mix of teams who will be fighting for a playoffspot. They'll need a SOLID 4/5 in order to do any damages in the postseason, but they can certainly qualify as currently constituted, providing the teamcan stay healthy and, indeed, that is very much in doubt.

2. How is Thabeet any more intimidating than JaVale McGee? I don't know that Thabeet's an NBA center at this point. I really don't see himsliding to #5, as OKC will almost certainly bite. Think about it: they nearly traded for Tyson Chandler this year, and Thabeet is a younger, healthieralternative. He's not quite as coordinated as Chandler, but he'll give that team the length they're looking for on the defensive side of the ball.

The Wizards, on the other hand, should attempt to groom McGee to play a role similar to that developed for Chandler by the Hornets. In other words, IF he canlearn to catch alley oops with any consistency (he was like 48% on them this season), you can easily see him setting screens for Gil, slipping off and risingabove the defense for an easy finish. That's something Thabeet is unlikely to do at this point in his development. McGee's athleticism makes him asolid asset, and he's certainly demonstrated the ability to operate as a Theo Ratliff style weak-side shot blocker. He just has to learn WHEN to go forshots and how to offer help without completely blowing his assignment in the process and giving up an easy play. Thabeet's more disciplined in thatregard, but he's not lightyears ahead of McGee and he's NOT the sort of post presence we're discussing. He's a help guy, not a drive stopper. We need the latter.

Jordan Hill from Arizona
pimp.gif

I'm not yet sold on Hill. He has the size we're looking for, but he hasn't been a very efficient player and his commitment torebounding and, more precisely, boxing out has been inconsistent. When you draft a player like Jordan Hill, you are absolutely relying on the coaching staffto bring him along. Who's gonna do that? Flip Saunders will tell a lot of stories about KG, but McHale's the one who deserves much of the credit forworking with him. Sam Cassell? Let's move on. Dwayne Casey? See, this is why I wanted Kareem as our head coach.

I don't know that Hill's an impact player. He'll help, but my question, at this point is simply: do we trade this pick?

It's almost a foregone conclusion when you look at the team's salaries. Odds are, they package this pick and a player - possibly Jamison, simplybecause a contending team would love to have him and would swallow his contract, with the pick as sweetner, and they'd give you back something of value foryour trouble. If nothing else, we have a lot of movable parts. Stevenson can certainly go. Mike James should be moved. Thomas, at this point, you'reprobably better off keeping. You'll get value out of him this year, then reap the benefits of his expiring deal. Trade him now, you wind up with somebodywho stays on the books in 2010. Why bother?

Who can you pry loose with any combination of players and the #5? Do you attempt a sign and trade and go after someone like Paul Millsap? That'scertainly intriguing. The Jazz would LOVE to add Antawn Jamison to their roster, they clear the logjam at power forward, and can add a young piece with the#5. I don't want Boozer for anything in the world, but that's a possibility as well.

That package probably won't get you very far in the Chris Bosh sweepstakes, but it's worth looking at. Amare's out there, obviously. I don'tthink he fits well with the Wizards and his defense is vastly overrated. If you're looking for toughness, Artest has it in abundance and his playoffperformance, despite Houston's courage, left something to be desired, meaning there could be some give there with Houston in a tight market.

To me, a trade gives the team the best chance to improve. Unless somebody just falls into your lap, it'd be tough to pass on James Harden, for example, Ithink you have to trade this pick. This isn't a great draft for franchise players, and if you're not getting an impact player you're doing nothingto help a team that's bound, contractually, to its core for the foreseeable future.

Originally Posted by pgsyoungsavage

random...but damn i didnt know we picked up devin harris in '04 ...smh
Yeah, that was the Jamison trade, though, so you really can't fault them on that one.

1) It brought the Wizards their most consistent player A.J. (After Jordan)
2) It succeeded in ridding the Wiz of Stackhouse and his burdensome contract - which was no easy task.

I'm not a huge Devin Harris fan. I still think the Wizards made out like bandits on that one - especially byWizards standards.

If James Harden is there at #5, we have to take him...if he's gone, we need to do what we can to trade that pick. Harden next to Arenas could beinteresting....for what it's worth, if we're gonna stay pat at #5 and not move the pick (and lets assume Harden is off the board), Tyreke Evans wouldbe an interesting prospect. There are no bigs IMO who would be available at that 5 spot who will drastically improve our team next season and beyond....weneed to look at SG's (if we stay at #5), and do what we can to get DeSuck out of the starting lineup..and HOPEFULLY off the team (if he can be traded)...

Man, I was SO disappointed that we didn't get that #1. Worst case scenario, I figured we'd be in that top 3. But #5??? I just got a "letter"in the mail from Ernie Grunfeld yesterday. It was a ploy to get people on board for different game packages at the VC. I wish I scanned it, but it went in theshredder. Anyways, the letter said how they are expecting everyone back, and they are moving towards their goal of advancing in the playoffs AND hoping tobring a championship...yes A CHAMPIONSHIP to DC.

It seems like it's going to be the same song and dance this year as it always is when talking about the Wizards. We're STILL no better (even w. Hardenon board) than a 40-45 win club. We're in that cluster of teams vying for that 5-8 seed in the East. I've said over and over that this team (or the big3) needs to be blown up. We're an aging team with NO upside. If anything, try to move Jamison. I know he's one of Abe's favorites because of his
laugh.gif
character, commitment, and connection
laugh.gif
but Abe's loyalty to guys in the organization sometimes hurts more than helps.

Ugh...I'll type more on this later on, but this is a real bummer.

package that pick with jamison and etan thomas and get somebody....any good inside players on the free agent market this summer? ngs

we should trade #5 pick, blatche. mike james and thomas for bosh..clears up cap space for the raptors. but we have to make sure bosh signs an extension beforehe gets traded. just my opinion

whatever u do don't listen to Wilbon who suggested trading down to try and get a PG like Teague and going after a big in the offseason smh i just think theWiz need to clear up cap room and just try and rebuild, bcuz how good is Gil really gonna b from here on out? Lamison can't last another full season on oneleg, Stevenson STINKS! Who knows when Caron will show up, Blatche STINKS! And please don't tell me yall are waiting for the big return of BRENDON GAYWOODLMAO! I will say it again he WILL NOT make that much of a difference

Back
Top Bottom