Washington Wizards 2015-2016 Season Thread - Let the firings begin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously Horford is a four-time All-Star, but spending that exact same max money on him instead of KD is just such a huge bummer. It is just a lot to commit to a 30-year old who averaged 15 and 7 each of the last two years IMO. At this point, it may be the best option, but I'm not all in on it. Part of my would sign second-tier guys to get to the minimum spend floor and then try again next summer, but I guess many would argue a strategy like that is what got us in this spot to begin with. I think adding Horford certainly would be a boost but, depending on how Ernie fills the roster out, I don't think it is any sort of ECF guarantee or anything and certainly not a threat to contend.

If it were to happen, I wonder if Brooks would start Horford at the 4 and bring Kieff off the bench or send Gortat to the bench and start Horford at the 5?
I agree, but at least Horford is second tier - not third tier, which is what we all expect Ernie to overpay for.  Of the players left, Horford would likely have the greatest impact next year - but I still don't see Wall, Beal, Porter, Horford, and Gortat really challenging Cleveland in the East.  More likely, we'd be back where we were in the 4-5 spot.  (And we'd have to climb back over a lot of teams that are ALSO improving to get there.)  

The option to play Horford as a "small ball" center is significant, but 15 and 7 isn't going to blow anyone away and Horford's recent All Star appearances have been more a product of the NBA's current trend of ensuring "representation" for good teams than overwhelming individual play.  

I see Horford signing with Boston over Washington regardless, but it's still a much better move than maxing out the likes of Ryan Anderson.  At least Horford has made a clear difference for his team. 
Thoughts on the Beal contract? 
They didn't have much choice.  If you let somebody else max him out, he walks, you get nothing, and you have no hope of attracting enough talent via free agency to keep John.  Beal will need to live up to it - or at least improve enough that he can bring value back in a trade.  There are still a couple of bad organizations out there, like Sacramento, that would consider trading picks and young players for a guy like Beal if it came down to it.  

Any max contract signed this summer will carry a certain degree of sticker shock, but he's a hell of a lot better than Chandler Parsons. 

I agree we had no choice on the Beal contract. $130M is insane money but we couldn't let him leave and it is similar to the Drummond and Batum deals. I'm fine with it.

Also completely agree about the genesis of Horford's All-Star appearances (heck, Kyle Korver and Jeff Teague also made appearances from that team) and that the Wiz would probably be fighting for home court with Horford in the lineup given the improvements other teams in the East have made.

The most intriguing aspect of this potential deal for me would actually be the off chance that we lock up Horford and KD signs a 1+1 with OKC to take advantage of resigning after his tenth year. We then have an overachieving season (ECF loss to CLE), Westbrook leaves next summer, and KD signs with us. The problem is of course I am not sure that is possible with the salary cap. Ernie would need to bring in a serious capologist to make it happen, but if the Clips can keep Jordan, Paul, and CP3 and sign KD, then maybe there is hope if we don't lock up too much salary for next season, maybe renounce Otto, and make a few trades to free up some salary space (granted, the LAC stars' contracts weren't signed this summer, and that would make a big difference). But, Horford was on KD's wish list for Boston, so maybe it would help here.

We'll see what Al decides. If he goes BOS, then we're either maxing Ryan Anderson or pursuing the bargain bin I suppose.

Typical swing and miss by this team. And settling for a backup center who's done nothing in his career so far and will be 30 in no time.

We just flat out have no chance in free agency year after year. Grunfeld and Leonsis just can't convince anyone to come here. Now we got what 9 more roster spots to fill with scraps? I don't see us getting any better than we were last season barring some kind of unexpected trade

WOW. This honestly couldn't have gone any worse.

I would have much rather have paid Ryan Anderson $20M. And four years?

What an abject disaster this offseason has been for the Wiz. I think missing the Playoffs again is in play if not even probable.

WOW. This honestly couldn't have gone any worse.

I would have much rather have paid Ryan Anderson $20M. And four years?

What an abject disaster this offseason has been for the Wiz. I think missing the Playoffs again is in play if not even probable.
It's more than probable IMO.

Can I ask y'all a ? ...so they got beal back , signed mahimi,no draft pick ...is there a plan for the future ? N Iif so what is it? ...cuz right now I see a team that's goin range from just missing the playoffs to 2nd round at best , all this is a waste of time :smh: ...o well Ima still be at the games for the low tho , n hit the club to smash some DC joints afterwards

I'm fed up with this team 
frown.gif

Did Wall and Beal even try to talk to any of the big-name players available and sell them on Washington? I see the refusal for KD to grant us a meeting and that Horford chose a less talented roster (assuming no KD) to join than ours as indictments on what players around the league think about Wall and Beal as much as the Wizards front office. The thing is, while a team with Wall and Beal as its two best players will never be a big threat, if you added a big-time scorer who also fit well into the team with them, then they would be fantastic second and third pieces to a title contending team (2nd in East behind CLE) in my opinion. But obviously KD didn't see things that way and my guess is most of the other players in the league feel the same way. I'd like to think Wall and Beal would let this fire them up and they'd try to prove themselves to the rest of the league this coming season, but I doubt that happens. For one, we're more likely to see them hobbled than making the league pay for the disrespect, More importantly, I doubt they even see the spurning of the team as indication that there is anything wrong with our star players even though free agents are picking Thomas and Bradley over them as new teammates. They've always badly overrated themseleves anyway IMO (laughably saying they were the best backcourt in the league even after Steph and Klay won a title; Beal saying he's a max player by production; Wall not understanding why no one lists him as one of the top 3 or 4 point guards in the league).

We badly needed a top-tier player. Curry/LeBron//Curry/LeBron///LeBron///LeBron//Durant/LeBron//Dirk/LeBron//Kobe/Big 3//Kobe/Dwight in prime//Kobe/Big 3//Duncan/LeBron//Dirk/Shaq and Wade.. these are the Finals matchups in the last decade or so. The only exception is the Spurs, and they even had a raising Leonard to pair with a fading Duncan-Manu-Parker trio, so it's kind of a tricky one to classify. The point is you need an MVP contender to contend. Neither Wall not Beal will ever be an MVP contender, and I think we can all agree on that. That is why we needed a KD in town.

Now that Ernie has chosen to use the cap space to give long-term deals to a bunch of Plan Z guys like Mahinmi and Nicholson (and, granted, not sure what other option he had at this point because running it back with a bunch of one-year guys with the current core would probably result in this same situation next summer barring a very surprising season (although I'm not sure that wasn't the better play nonetheless)), we are in a purgatorial place where we most likely won't suck but won't do anything meaningful for several years. It is debatably the worst place to be stuck in the NBA and, after a summer of getting that piece needed to go over the top years-in-the-making, is crushing.

Given all of that, I wonder if blowing it up was ever on the minds of Ted or Ernie.

So this happened....

David AldridgeVerified account
‏@daldridgetnt
Wizards bring over one of the better guards in Europe in Tomas Satoransky for three years, $9 million, per sources.

Did Wall and Beal even try to talk to any of the big-name players available and sell them on Washington? I see the refusal for KD to grant us a meeting and that Horford chose a less talented roster (assuming no KD) to join than ours as indictments on what players around the league think about Wall and Beal as much as the Wizards front office. The thing is, while a team with Wall and Beal as its two best players will never be a big threat, if you added a big-time scorer who also fit well into the team with them, then they would be fantastic second and third pieces to a title contending team (2nd in East behind CLE) in my opinion. But obviously KD didn't see things that way and my guess is most of the other players in the league feel the same way. I'd like to think Wall and Beal would let this fire them up and they'd try to prove themselves to the rest of the league this coming season, but I doubt that happens. For one, we're more likely to see them hobbled than making the league pay for the disrespect, More importantly, I doubt they even see the spurning of the team as indication that there is anything wrong with our star players even though free agents are picking Thomas and Bradley over them as new teammates. They've always badly overrated themseleves anyway IMO (laughably saying they were the best backcourt in the league even after Steph and Klay won a title; Beal saying he's a max player by production; Wall not understanding why no one lists him as one of the top 3 or 4 point guards in the league).

We badly needed a top-tier player. Curry/LeBron//Curry/LeBron///LeBron///LeBron//Durant/LeBron//Dirk/LeBron//Kobe/Big 3//Kobe/Dwight in prime//Kobe/Big 3//Duncan/LeBron//Dirk/Shaq and Wade.. these are the Finals matchups in the last decade or so. The only exception is the Spurs, and they even had a raising Leonard to pair with a fading Duncan-Manu-Parker trio, so it's kind of a tricky one to classify. The point is you need an MVP contender to contend. Neither Wall not Beal will ever be an MVP contender, and I think we can all agree on that. That is why we needed a KD in town.

Now that Ernie has chosen to use the cap space to give long-term deals to a bunch of Plan Z guys like Mahinmi and Nicholson (and, granted, not sure what other option he had at this point because running it back with a bunch of one-year guys with the current core would probably result in this same situation next summer barring a very surprising season (although I'm not sure that wasn't the better play nonetheless)), we are in a purgatorial place where we most likely won't suck but won't do anything meaningful for several years. It is debatably the worst place to be stuck in the NBA and, after a summer of getting that piece needed to go over the top years-in-the-making, is crushing.

Given all of that, I wonder if blowing it up was ever on the minds of Ted or Ernie.

Lot of truth here. The reputation of Wall and Beal around the league is a very interesting point you made. The braggadocious quotes and all that extra stuff they were yapping about last season couldn't have helped them after this failure of a season. But in the end I honestly believe Durant's mind was made up a long time ago and it had nothing to do with the team. He simply did not wanna be home and dealing with the pressure of friends and family off the court. Not everyone is Lebron James mentally and cares about the city they're from and leaving a legacy there with the home team.

As for attracting other free agents I put most of the blame on Grunfeld and Leonsis. They clearly don't know how to market this team or city to other players nor grow a loyal fan base organically.

Trey Burke was buried on the bench in Utah so I don't know what to expect out of him. Despite the 1000 missed lay ups Ramon Sessions was a great backup for John Wall he will be missed. Same with Garrett Temple but hopefully Oubre develops and contributes next year. I like what I've seen from Andrew Nicholson too, he's pretty versatile for a man his size just needs the minutes. And it's about time Satoransky came over, we desperately need a backup shooting guard

Congrats on landing Andrew Nicholson. One of those under the radar moves that will pay dividends. Array of post moves and a soft touch from 3. Hoping he flourishes in DC. I think you guys will enjoy his skillset.

Last edited:
I don't mind the Nicholson signing given the price I suppose, and I'll be curious to see if Satoransky can live up to the hype and he signed for cheap so no qualms there. Burle could pay dividends and a 2021 second rounder... who cares.. so that isn't bad either. Mahinmi had some very nice games for IND last season and can clearly do some things defensively, but I would like that signing way better if he wasn't getting Mozgov money. Certainly I think Cole Aldrich at less than half the price would have been a better play. These bench moves are fine, but they are just that-bench moves-and frankly don't excite me any more than getting Jared Dudley last year did. It's just such an awful way to have to use the cap space because they aren't big difference makers. Maybe the team stays healthy and with a full year of Morris and better coaching and the Playoffs are probably achievable (though nor certain given the improvement of other Eastern Conference teams), but goals should be higher at this point.

Durant may well have not wanted to come home for offcourt (ticket request, distractions, etc.) reasons and, while I personally find that disappointing, he obviously has a right to his own feelings. The bigger question in regards to that is why does no one want to live here? Being born and raised myself, I don't get it. Yes, traffic is terrible but in most other areas the DC metro ranks at or near the top of the country in other categories, and the high cost-of-living doesn't matter when you make NBA money. Obviously though, living here is not appealing at all to NBA free agents. I really think the probably is a combination of that, horrendous management and lack of history, and the aforementioned lack of respect for Wall and Beal.

I don't mind the Nicholson signing given the price I suppose, and I'll be curious to see if Satoransky can live up to the hype and he signed for cheap so no qualms there. Burle could pay dividends and a 2021 second rounder... who cares.. so that isn't bad either. Mahinmi had some very nice games for IND last season and can clearly do some things defensively, but I would like that signing way better if he wasn't getting Mozgov money. Certainly I think Cole Aldrich at less than half the price would have been a better play. These bench moves are fine, but they are just that-bench moves-and frankly don't excite me any more than getting Jared Dudley last year did. It's just such an awful way to have to use the cap space because they aren't big difference makers. Maybe the team stays healthy and with a full year of Morris and better coaching and the Playoffs are probably achievable (though nor certain given the improvement of other Eastern Conference teams), but goals should be higher at this point.

Durant may well have not wanted to come home for offcourt (ticket request, distractions, etc.) reasons and, while I personally find that disappointing, he obviously has a right to his own feelings. The bigger question in regards to that is why does no one want to live here? Being born and raised myself, I don't get it. Yes, traffic is terrible but in most other areas the DC metro ranks at or near the top of the country in other categories, and the high cost-of-living doesn't matter when you make NBA money. Obviously though, living here is not appealing at all to NBA free agents. I really think the probably is a combination of that, horrendous management and lack of history, and the aforementioned lack of respect for Wall and Beal.

Before I get started, I gotta say I'm enjoying your posting in here. You've got great insight, bro.

Synergy Sports Tech‏@SynergySST

Tomas Satoransky is coming off a monster season in Europe. FG%s: 47% Catch & Shoot Jumpers, 50% Floaters, 65% Finishing, 76% Transition.

Seems like Sato is the real deal. He's going to get good minutes this season and I'm excited to see what he can do.

As it stands now, I think this team is about 3 wins better off of coaching alone. They could possibly max out as a team that's 5-7 wins better based off of how the 2nd unit gels and getting good luck with saying healthy. It's disappointing that KD didn't grant the team a meeting, but it is what it is.

All along, I've always thought that the team needed a viable plan B in case KD didn't want to sign here. Is this the plan B we're seeing? Who knows exactly what EG actually came up with or if these were most likely panic moves.

The only thing I do like about our starting unit, is that 4/5 guys are on VERY cheap deals.

Wall - Bargain
Gortat - Bargain
Keef - Bargain
Porter - Rookie deal

Taking wall out of the picture, 3/4 guys could be attractive trade bait if need be.

It's going to be an interesting season, but I'm hoping that Scotty can maximize the rotations and get the most out of the guys on this roster.

The bigger question in regards to that is why does no one want to live here? Being born and raised myself, I don't get it. Yes, traffic is terrible but in most other areas the DC metro ranks at or near the top of the country in other categories, and the high cost-of-living doesn't matter when you make NBA money. Obviously though, living here is not appealing at all to NBA free agents. I really think the probably is a combination of that, horrendous management and lack of history, and the aforementioned lack of respect for Wall and Beal.
The Nationals, Capitals, and Skins don't seem to have problems attracting free agents to come to play and live in the DC area. I doubt the city is why players won't come, it all has to do with management IMO.

The Nationals, Capitals, and Skins don't seem to have problems attracting free agents to come to play and live in the DC area. I doubt the city is why players won't come, it all has to do with management IMO.

Good point.

At this point, we have a decent idea what the team will look like next year. So we'll just how to see how Plan Z stacks up against the moves other Eastern Conference teams make.

In other news, KD to GS just made the offseason plans for 29 other teams irrelevant.

The silver-lining in KD not speaking to the Wizards and then going to GS, is that there is no such thing as loyalty in the NBA. If this isn't a wake-up call to EG and the rest of the FO staff about trying to maximize the next 3 seasons before Wall hits FA, then I dunno what to tell ya. Just because we can offer Wall the most $ is irrelevant. These dudes are rich beyond belief, and if the KD signing shows anything, it's that guys in the primes of their careers want rings.

The silver-lining in KD not speaking to the Wizards and then going to GS, is that there is no such thing as loyalty in the NBA. If this isn't a wake-up call to EG and the rest of the FO staff about trying to maximize the next 3 seasons before Wall hits FA, then I dunno what to tell ya. Just because we can offer Wall the most $ is irrelevant. These dudes are rich beyond belief, and if the KD signing shows anything, it's that guys in the primes of their careers want rings.

I feel like superstars who can maximize their money making off court just want rings. But idk where Wall falls for that. Like didnt' they say Lebron gets paid more by Nike then the NBA. Like when the NBA is your second income...then you can be more flexible...especially knowing winning rings could maximize your off court brand which in turn leads to more money. So its kinda smart for these top tier guys to just win at all cost (NBA Dollar Cost)

Wall im sure makes money off court but if the NBA salary is his prime income maybe money could be more of a driver in his deal

I feel like superstars who can maximize their money making off court just want rings. But idk where Wall falls for that. Like didnt' they say Lebron gets paid more by Nike then the NBA. Like when the NBA is your second income...then you can be more flexible...especially knowing winning rings could maximize your off court brand which in turn leads to more money. So its kinda smart for these top tier guys to just win at all cost (NBA Dollar Cost)

Wall im sure makes money off court but if the NBA salary is his prime income maybe money could be more of a driver in his deal

That's a very good point. And for as good as Wall is, he doesn't have nearly the exposure (endorsement-wise) as some of his peers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom