Wasn't New York City More Grimey In The 80s & 90s In Constrast To Now

hipsters are the new yuppies

gentrification started in my area of the Lower East Side in 1998 so whatever you're saying I'm not paying attention to

I'm not talking about Thompson Square Park back in the mid to late 80s people where still shooting up heroin

the area of the lower east side im talking about is below Houston st and this part of Manhattan changed around the late 1990's

Last edited:
hipsters are the new yuppies

gentrification started in my area of the Lower East Side in 1998 so whatever you're saying I'm not paying attention to

I'm not talking about Thompson Square Park back in the mid to late 80s people where still shooting up heroin

the area of the lower east side im talking about is below Houston st and this part of Manhattan changed around the late 1990's
Eh...some folks are just blinded by ideology and what their friends fathers told them once upon a time. 

They say the Bronx is the last ghetto, whether that's true or not I don't know. But over this past summer I realized a lot has changed. Also 174, 2/5 Line bros stand up?

Was born and lived in queens for before we moved to Atlanta. I remember going to Harlem to visit relatives and being scares of bums on the subway...I don't think much has changed in the city that never sleeps

They say the Bronx is the last ghetto, whether that's true or not I don't know. But over this past summer I realized a lot has changed. Also 174, 2/5 Line bros stand up?
Honestly if you know the history of NY, Black/Puerto Ricans should have never been put in those areas that we call ghettos. The point was to help them get on their feet, but they pretty much said screw it. With the introduction of drugs mixed with the poverty, you just had a receipe for negative energy. In a sense the moving of these yuppie-hipsters to these areas make the areas more valuable, however the poor will stay poor and it will repeat over and over.

Its not just a NY thing, its a urban city thing. That is why Atlanta(please ignore its rep of gayness)  is being held as the next breeding ground for a great major US city because its mostly an Urban city with development for good.

The poor create the culture, then the rich want to be part of the culture, but water it down. Same thing happened to Hip Hop

But...why do you want your neighborhood to be dangerous?

I know in dc the gentrification is a result of residents who are living off of section 8 being relocated to PG.

You can't pretend to have control over your living situation and be mad when the people who REALLY control it decide to do whatever they want.

And this isn't against people living off of section 8, but it really wasn't their neighborhood to begin with.

But...why do you want your neighborhood to be dangerous?

I know in dc the gentrification is a result of residents who are living off of section 8 being relocated to PG.

You can't pretend to have control over your living situation and be mad when the people who REALLY control it decide to do whatever they want.

And this isn't against people living off of section 8, but it really wasn't their neighborhood to begin with.
Correct. They were pretty much tossed there. If the Government/tax payers are paying most of your rent, they have can and will move you to wherever they want....

Aight come on now the bronx as a whole is not that bad especially the more north you go. There are still pockets where it is bad like everywhere else but yall in here talking like its still ground zero. In terms of gentrification Harlem is next as if it has not started already. 
nerd.gif

Aight come on now the bronx as a whole is not that bad especially the more north you go. There are still pockets where it is bad like everywhere else but yall in here talking like its still ground zero. In terms of gentrification Harlem is next as if it has not started already. 
nerd.gif
lol Harlem been getting gentrified. It will be complete sooner than later

nerd.gif
Nah, I'm not trying to cut *** on the Bronx by giving it a negative tone. I love my Bronx pride and how thing's are shaping up. The North definitely is more quiet, I have a cousin that lives near the last six train stop, I don't know the street name exactly. But it's mad quiet, nice *** houses, etc.

Don't get it either.

Some clown told me to throw away my Drake CD after I said this a few pages back :lol: I grew up in the Mission in SF and anyone from the Bay Area can tell you how horrible it used to be. Now you have employees of Google, Facebook, etc living out in some parts out there and cleaning up the population. Shame on me for wanting neighborhoods I can bring family and visitors to without fear of them getting robbed or killed :lol: these fake hoodlums have failed at adjusting to normal life so they still worship the dumps that they came from, where almost everyone was just as bad and uneducated as them

Last edited:
well some moron just killed a 1 year old in brooklyn as retaliation toward his uncle 
frown.gif
That wasn't his uncle, it was his father who was the intended target and he's not cooperating with police because it was some street **** that led to the shooting.

90's :lol:

The 80's when the crack era hit and soft gun laws down south was far worse

70's were bad too, because they had a gang problem

Things started changing in New York in 92/93

I woulda said the 80's but i was born in 85 so I vaguely remember the late 80's. still if you compare certian spots between the early 90's and now its a big difference. Your right about the 92/93 part though. Once guliani took office things started slowly but surely changing.

*shrug*

The people who complain about gentrification are the people who enjoy living in the filth and poverty of it an more than likely will never leave that hood and continue the cycle.

My area is getting cleaned up ad I'm for one am not bothered by it.

I can have a nice car in the street without worrying about some animals messing with it and breaking into etc.

Don't have to work about a female friend / GF / family member walking alone.

Don't have to worry about family coming over.

Just leave me a few bodegas
smokin.gif
Right. My biggest problems with gentrification are the pricing out of the middle class and loss of culture. Like Spike Lee said, his father was a jazz musician for 30 years and had the cops called on him for a noise complaint by his new neighbor. But we all enjoy living in filth and poverty.

Leave it to NT to have dumb **** like this said.

Last edited:
NYC murder rate actually peaked at almost 2,300 in 1992.

Crack cartels had more power than the city government and guns were as easy to cop gasoline. It was a modern Chicago like crisis.

The city didn't really start getting cleaned up until the late 90's.

*shrug*

The people who complain about gentrification are the people who enjoy living in the filth and poverty of it an more than likely will never leave that hood and continue the cycle.

My area is getting cleaned up ad I'm for one am not bothered by it.

I can have a nice car in the street without worrying about some animals messing with it and breaking into etc.

Don't have to work about a female friend / GF / family member walking alone.

Don't have to worry about family coming over.

Just leave me a few bodegas :smokin
Right. My biggest problems with gentrification are the pricing out of the middle class and loss of culture. Like Spike Lee said, his father was a jazz musician for 30 years and had the cops called on him for a noise complaint by his new neighbor. But we all enjoy living in filth and poverty.

Leave it to NT to have dumb **** like this said.

In the exact same interview Spike said he's not against gentrification, though. He just wishes the new neighbors would respect the culture of the neighborhood.

Don't pick and choose quotes and then be snarky about it.

*shrug*

THIS

BS.

Gentrification takes the people that actually cared about their hood and did their best to help turn it around....and it forces them into another hood. Turning their lives upside down, denying them of the upward social mobility that they worked for and killing the local culture & institutions.

Always the cats with the loudest opinions, with the least insight and spouting the most BS.

*shrug*

THIS

BS.

Gentrification takes the people that actually cared about their hood and did their best to help turn it around....and it forces them into another hood. Turning their lives upside down, denying them of the upward social mobility that they worked for and killing the local culture & institutions.

Always the cats with the loudest opinions, with the least insight and spouting the most BS.

You're painting with an EXTREMELY broad brush if you're trying to say that gentrification mainly affects the people that actually cared about their hood and did their best to help turn it around.

In the exact same interview Spike said he's not against gentrification, though. He just wishes the new neighbors would respect the culture of the neighborhood.

Don't pick and choose quotes and then be snarky about it.
This is the same guy that wore a Brooklyn Before Gentrification shirt the other day. Who's being snarky?

So all you do is equate culture to crime? Cool. If that's all you identify Urban America with, then you have a problem. Gentrifiers have no culture.

Back
Top Bottom