Wasn't New York City More Grimey In The 80s & 90s In Constrast To Now

my brooklyn's trailer says it all...

Well it could only get better after the 70s.

As a whole it's less grimey now but there's still plenty grime in NYC if you looking for it.

I knew I felt like I answered this question already. This thread pops up a lot :lol:

Washington Heights is next......
rezoning only works on businesses, not residential, so if apts are rent controlled/stabilized, you can't move anyone unless they wanna move.

NY got da strongest rent regulation laws in da country.

So NYC is soft because its reasonably safe? I bet if it were like the 90s people would be *****ing like "we gotta be better" or whatever.

You ain't schooling nobody on ****. The fact that you said white flight is a state of mind proves that. Its a documented phenomenon and key reason as to why the suburbs exploded post World War II. Go back to stalking your neighbor or doing the other **** you made up.

NYElectric used to go in on these threads when she still posted here.

To be clear on this white flight thing, there's two sides to it. It was promoted to all Americans that after getting a good job and starting a family that they should move to the suburbs. There's commercials you can find for it. Moving out the crowded apartments to live in a house outside of the city.

The other side was racist white ppl seeing black, Hispanic, etc. ppl moving in to the building and not wanting them as neighbors so they moved.

This is dating back to the 50s. So all you gotta do is keep it in context as far as who was allowed to do what and when during those times.

So NYC is soft because its reasonably safe? I bet if it were like the 90s people would be *****ing like "we gotta be better" or whatever.
this...why wouldnt u want some gentrification to happen? it's not always a bad thing and it allows the areas to become significantly safer. Would you really want to live in a crap neighborhood for the rest of your life? You guys are debating like gentrification occurs overnight when in reality it takes decades. Besides, the poor can either continue to live poorly and wait for their rent to rise and kicked out or they can improve themselves financially. 

inb4 'but u dont understand living in the ghetto blah blah..it's hard to move out waahhh' my parents raised my brother and i with a combined annual income of 30k back in the early to mid 90's, while living in the ghetto part of the bronx. My brother is a resident (soon to be dr) and i worked in corporate and went back to school (soon to be RN). 

my brooklyn's trailer says it all...
Like I said that's the problem right there, these people psyches are LOCKED into servility for "the white man's" ideologies. 

These people are always looking to DEFY, ARGUE, PLEAD, BEG, REASON with "the white man's" ideologies ...look at that woman crying, look at the idiot in the New York Yankee fitted "preaching" to the crowd and they're even more stupid for clapping and retaining his message. How many of them voted?  How many of them even know REAL ESTATE LAWS that allows them to be EXPLOITED IN THAT WAY?

He's GIVING the power to developers, he's GIVING them a superiority by adopting the "STATE OF MIND" of inferiority because he doesn't know any better.Every time I see one of those rallies I laugh and think to myself  "your doom in imminent"

Bloomberg: "If you don't like, wealthy people, SUCCESSFUL PROFIT MAKING BUSINESSES, you're not gonna have a CITY, we WANNA attract those people here. That's where we get the money to help the less fortunate" 

Stupid kid in Obama shirt: "I'm a sneaker lover, fashion lover, I like being able to dip in and dip out. I like to be able to get that experience with the Pakistani, Indian, Asian person, McDonalds, Macy's, that mix up? That's Fulton Mall"

Then it's switched to a clip with an ethnic white guy, who says: "It's a weird space, I don't know how to interact with it, I think they should make it go away".
Another clip, the book store owner, who says: "It's people who were here when NOBODY wanted to be here"

I mean really, you been there for generations yet you don't know how to defend your land? DEFENDING is more intricate than just saying "I object" or "this is mines".

Europeans were catching ill fades at the hands of Native Americans who didn't even entertain the thought of them "gentrifying" ANYTHING that belonged to them...tomahawks were leaving domes SPLIT ON SIGHT. 

The Native Americans lost footing the MINUTE they starting reasoning with "the white man", started trying to understand his ideologies. Then they started giving away their women and children to these Europeans, letting them live among them LEARN their laws and politics. Then BOOM! Gentrification!

Native Americans tried to take the previous stance of their fathers who PROTECTED THEIR LANDS WITH THEIR LIVES, but it was too late. Small Pox blankets, Thanksgiving and "Manifest Destiny". Native Americans were LETTING them psych them out into believing the land should be theirs, just like the "ethnic white guy" from the trailer "I don't know how to interact with it so it should be gone"

"The white man" knows how to sacrifice, RESEARCH and then successfully TAKE OVER, if you submit yourself to the notions of Western Civilization, and "whiteness" itself being superior. He already owns your mind and he's been dead for over 100+ years. 
Nothing has changed in the ghettos of Americas. 

This man knows ...like I said, if you allow yourself to become a victim, you will be a victim. This guy "GENTRIFIED" 
nthat.gif

White flight is a "state of mind" ...they couldn't AFFORD to run from this BLACK MAN

Last edited:
rezoning only works on businesses, not residential, so if apts are rent controlled/stabilized, you can't move anyone unless they wanna move.

NY got da strongest rent regulation laws in da country.
LOL if your still renting, it means you don't own. If you don't own, that means you CAN be moved. Your landlord has to provide long notice if he/she will use the place for his/her own fam to stay there. And all of Washington Heights is not rent controlled therefore the same thing can happen there. What makes you think it would be any different bro? The residents there in Da heights dont make the rules, they are just living there. Somebody else created them and is enforcing them. Sorry bro, but its reality.

You thought all the ppl in Harlem/BK/DC/HOUSTON/and any other urban city would be forced to move?

You can't argue against fact bro. Gentrification is reality. NY is prime location so its gonna happen even faster so be ready to go to NJ.

Nah stay in NY :lol:

And gentrification is happening all her north NJ "hoods" now.

Hoboken thru the 90s into the early 2000s.

It's happening in Jersey City now and other parts of Hudson County as well.

One reason your argument doesn't make sense is because you don't understand New York.

Harlem has culture
The LES has culture
Washington Heights has culture
Brooklyn has culture
The Bronx has culture

You can't compare Camden or any place in Jersey to New York City

I think the main problem with gentrification that everybody's stepping around or missing is that it's happening in ethnic neighborhoods and its turning them white. It's the "why can't you be more like us" mentality instead of developing neighborhoods into better-funded versions of themselves.

Jehims, you're full of **** too. You said in the Trayvon Martin thread you feared black men. You have your biases on the issue. And of course your Korean immigrant parents found a way to make something of themselves. Look at all the nail salons, beauty supply stores and fruit stands in neighborhoods of color. Its easier for them to get a business loan at a bank before a person of color will so its not as easy to pick yourself up financially as you say it is. If it was, there wouldnt be any poor people. Understand the history and dynamics before you open your mouth.

For dude that commented on renting, unless you have the deed to your home from the bank, you don't own a damn thing. Need proof? Look at the hundreds of thousands of people that lost their homes and are struggling to stay afloat post subprime mortgage crisis. You're a glorified renter for however long your mortgage is.

Last edited:
One reason your argument doesn't make sense is because you don't understand New York.

Harlem has culture
The LES has culture
Washington Heights has culture
Brooklyn has culture
The Bronx has culture

You can't compare Camden or any place in Jersey to New York City
prolly the only time I would agree with you. 

Like Leimert Park out here in L.A. More and more white folks moving back, gunning for HPOZ (historical preservation overlay zone), but the culture is still there. Black and Brown owned business still thrive here and for the most part the white folk are just blending in...for now.

I think the main problem with gentrification that everybody's stepping around or missing is that it's happening in ethnic neighborhoods and its turning them white. It's the "why can't you be more like us" mentality instead of developing neighborhoods into better-funded versions of themselves.

Part of what makes New York New York is it being the melting pot and a gumbo of cultures and people.

Not everyone you're moving out is a criminal. Because you're poor or lower middle class doesn't make you a bad person. It's not necessarily bettering the situation of the person you're moving. So now they have to take a longer train/bus ride to work, which means what with the care of their children? If a person is a criminal in Bedstuy, he's going to be a criminal in Westchester County.

So much to respond to in this thread :lol:

Overall, almost no city is as bad as it was in the early 1990s with few exceptions (those being Detroit, St. Louis, East St. Louis, Gary, Camden, Baltimore, New Orleans, etc.). This has been the result of a number of factors, including the economic rebound of the 1990s, the stabilization of drug markets after the early 1990s, general regression to the mean, etc.

Gentrification has certainly played a role in this, as well, as poor people in many cities have been displaced to suburban areas. In many cases, these suburbs have deteriorated as middle-class people, businesses, and other social institutions have now abandoned those areas. Thus, the ghetto never really "goes away," it just moves. Hell, for all of the national publicity that violence in Chicago has been receiving, Harvey (a Chicago suburb) had a homicide rate nearly four times higher than Chicago's in 2011 (59.2 to 15.9) and has had a significantly higher homicide rate since at least 2008. Same dynamic, on a lesser scale, with Chicago Heights, another suburb...

I think some communities are doing mixed income housing. If so that is the plus side of gentrification. There is no way to grow and develop a community when there is concentrated poverty.

I don't completely disagree, but de-concentrating poverty through gentrification is not the only alternative to addressing concentrated poverty. It's just the only alternative that has been and continues to be pushed by neoliberals who have so dominated the discussion that people don't even consider other ways of addressing these issues...

Honestly what is this pride people have in bad neighborhoods?...I wish my beloved BX wasn't half the dump it is.....wish some of that Brooklyn Gentrification would somehow reach my borough.....dudes taking pride in the ghetto make no sense...nothing to be proud of bros...lol

Don't get it either.

Of course people that live in these communities overwhelmingly want their communities to improve, and many of these people have worked for generations to try to improve their communities. But they don't want their communities to improve so that other people can benefit - people that aren't even from the community and who would displace longtime residents if they decided that their community was "desirable" due to the ease with which they could displace those residents who generally lack the political capital to prevent such displacement...

obvious answer to the thread title is yes

of course coming from the hood aint nothing to be proud of or boast about...but when you see how things changed from back then, its just amazing.

Many years ago, I would have never thought the MTV Vma's would be in Brooklyn. lol

and also remember that NYC had the highest murder rate in the nation in 1990.

NYC had nowhere near the highest homicide rate in 1990. Of cities with over 500,000 residents, NYC had the eighth highest homicide rate (30.7). DC's homicide rate in 1990 (77.8) was more than doubled NYC's...

no but it would make me feel better for the hipsters pricing people out my neighborhood that i knew for 20 or so years
I have no comment about your condoning violence against innocent people.

But the suggestion that hipsters are responsible for displacing long-time residents from a neighborhood is a total misunderstanding of how or why gentrification happens. Since the 1980s gentrification has become a policy strategy promoted by city bureaucrats, elected officials, banks, real estate firms, and redevelopers. Hipsters, just like Yuppies, are merely the most visible sign of institutional investors trying to reap short-term capital gains in a disinvested neighborhood.  

Great post...

da way da Bronx is now is da way all of NYC used to be in da 90's...da Bronx in da 90's used to look like Camden NJ right now....

How did I know you would be in here ******** on The Bronx :lol:

THIS is "current" Bronx.
View media item 563648View media item 563649View media item 563650View media item 563651View media item 563652View media item 563653View media item 563654View media item 563655View media item 563656View media item 563657View media item 563658View media item 563659View media item 563660View media item 563662View media item 563665View media item 563666View media item 563667View media item 563668
Don't confuse the south Bronx and other small pockets with the rest of the borough.

If you truly ventured into the borough, you'd see they're more good parts than bad parts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom