Ways to back up entire Itunes library?

I'm backing up my files on my computer tonight and I was wondering how do I back up my entire itunes?

I'm talking about keeping all my songs, podcasts, videos, etc.

Is there a way I can retain all the data without having to trace the actual location of every item then copying it to another hard drive? Some way I can just export the whole thing?

nerd.gif

@Falcon thanks for the article, I'm reading it right now, looks good

I see an option to "export library" though, under file in itunes. Except I don't think it'll export all my music/media, it'll just export the settings/structure? I don't really know.

if you check "allow itunes to manage my library" in the preferences, itll make a copy of whatever you add into 1 folder and itll be organized by artist. not sure if you can do it retroactively though.

i just copy the itunes folder on my computer and right click paste onto my external. When i purchase a new laptop i downloaded itunes and replaced the existing itunes folder with my old one and everything came out perfect.

I use synctoy to backup my system. You just set the folders you want to backup then press the button and you're set.

Well this depends if you were letting iTunes consolidate your library, which I believe it does by default, any file you open would be copied into the iTunes folder and organized by artist.

If not, then you'd have to backup wherever the files are located. Hopefully your files are all in one place? Otherwise, that's not going to be very fun
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by scshift

I'm backing up my files on my computer tonight and I was wondering how do I back up my entire itunes?

I'm talking about keeping all my songs, podcasts, videos, etc.

Is there a way I can retain all the data without having to trace the actual location of every item then copying it to another hard drive? Some way I can just export the whole thing?

nerd.gif
iTunes allows you to only make backup to a CD/DVD - which basically sucks. I would use a program especially designed to do that to avoid the mess. I think this might be a good answer:
http://answers.yahoo.com/...id=20110807203916AAtMufs

hope it helps.

Originally Posted by theekinqq

i just copy the itunes folder on my computer and right click paste onto my external. When i purchase a new laptop i downloaded itunes and replaced the existing itunes folder with my old one and everything came out perfect.

This is what i do. 

All of my music is saved in 3 folders.  So i copy them to my external hard-drive.....on new comp download itunes and then click add files to library and pick my folders and im done.

I manage my own files so when I decided to back up my iPod, it was a !$%%% because I usually delete all the music off my computer after I put it on my iPod. I backed all my files up into a external hard drive using iPod Access. If you can find a crack online, you can pretty much back it up in about an hour with one click.

Back
Top Bottom