Welcome to our updated site!

I didn't see any reason to change the old layout but change is inevitable.

I use desktop on mobile and I feel like the size of everything was much better before.
Everything fit better.

I'll probably get used to this just like the previous changes.

But I really liked the last version.
Last version was Jordan 1
This is like Jordan 3

Always appreciate the changes those behind the scenes make towards improving the site. One thing...im on mobile, but scrolling seems choppy.

New features are cool. I don't mind the layout.

Where can I find my watched threads?

Just tried it in this thread and got the same message as below.

1569583781243.png
This has been fixed. You can also tap the image itself in full view and see the gallery that way.

Great updates especially using actual emojis
Unicode emoji support - it's like living in the not too distant past. I can't believe the platform didn't have it when we moved here two years ago, but better late than never.

Site is running slow for me. I'm on mobile. Also clicked post reply a few times and it didn't work.
Yeah, the system's churning through decades worth of images right now to process all of the new thread image galleries. Once that's complete, the site should start running more smoothly. I appreciate everyone's patience!

I didn't see any reason to change the old layout but change is inevitable.

I use desktop on mobile and I feel like the size of everything was much better before.
Everything fit better.

I'll probably get used to this just like the previous changes.

But I really liked the last version.
Last version was Jordan 1
This is like Jordan 3
We actually had to change the layout for a couple of reasons:

Even though we're using the same platform, the new version was rewritten basically from the ground up - to the point where the custom theme we created would not be compatible with the new version. It was almost like a mini-migration. (Thankfully, we've been through a lot worse on that front, so the Community Hired team was more than up to the task.)

So if we couldn't use what we already had, that gave us the opportunity to try and build something better. To help future proof the site, we needed to do a better job of supporting high DPI displays. We also needed to do a much better job of making the site more accessible and healthier to view. We hired an experienced designer to help create a design that met current accessibility guidelines, and would create less eye strain than the old design.

We knew, though, that there would be a lot of people who miss the classic look - so we created a secondary theme that had the same spirit.

Although we can support multiple themes, we need those themes to be as similar as possible for two reasons:
First, we have to think about load times. ALL available themes get loaded when you load a page. That's just how the system works.
Second, we have to think about quality assurance. From a testing and reliability standpoint, we can't have the secondary theme introducing a completely new set of variables for every single page type. We'd basically be doubling the complexity.

Right now, the theme may feel a bit "forward looking." It works better on higher spec devices - and while that may be a drawback in the immediate term, it should help the site age better moving forward.

We've spent so much time on outdated platforms. It was important to us to create something we could really build on for the future.

Always appreciate the changes those behind the scenes make towards improving the site. One thing...im on mobile, but scrolling seems choppy.
This was addressed on the previous page, but the short answer for this right now is: switch to the OG theme. That's a bit faster for low powered devices, but we're going to work on reducing some of the system demands of the new theme for devices with integrated graphics.

New features are cool. I don't mind the layout.

Where can I find my watched threads?
Right here: https://niketalk.com/watched/threads

You can find it under the "What's New" tab in the nav menu as well.

A few years ago I complained about how the site looked on a high-res phone. Now the pages fill the full-width. Much appreciated.

Page loads are slow but it's good to know that it should just be temporary.

Thanks as always for the work you guys put in. Oh, and thanks for the ad-free options. It's like you guys pay attention to us. Good work.

One suggestion -- it'd be nice if, when you're scrolling down a long post, the poster's info bar (name, avatar) would persist at the top, like how the NT menu banner persists as we scroll down.

I have a question. How do I change my notifications settings? I dont like seeing seeing that I have 40+ notifications and 39 of them are from people posting in the TAN. :lol:

Digging the updated changes so far. But, is anyone else experiencing serious lag on the site now? Every click (into a new thread, forum, etc.) is seeming to take much longer than it should. My internet speed is fine on other sites.

Maybe it's just initial growing pains through the update itself...?

Good stuff Meth. :nthat:

The gallery being byke is a welcome return especially for the sneaker forums.

Switched back to the OG background almost immediately :lol: but the grey is growing on me might switch back and let it rock for a minute.

Is there a way to have the "Watched Threads" show the only threads that have updates like the previous version? It was a good way to stay on top of the threads with new posts. From what I see, it looks like they're all grouped together again.

Also, it looks like if you post in a thread, it doesn't auto-watch it. I'm happy for that change. :smile:

edit: there's a "change width" button at the bottom. Not sure why an auto-detect of the optimal resolution isn't implemented.

I'm always down for change, but damn that's a lot of wasted space on the sides for desktop. Is it a static resolution? It's not even like I have an ultrawide monitor or anything (1920x1200).

Capture222.PNG

Last edited:
The new site loads very slow, and we lost our dark mode..the site now looks grey on my phone.

The new site loads very slow, and we lost our dark mode..the site now looks grey on my phone.

Scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see Cool Grey on the bottom right.

Click that and a menu will pop up that shows the OG option.

Click OG and the background will be changed back to black.

Load times are abysmal for me as well. Even something like inserting a spoiler or an image takes half a minute to load.
When I clicked on this thread it took just under 2 minutes to load.

Edit: (took around 25 seconds to open after clicking edit)
I do like the new layout, looks good to me. Not sure what's going on with the load times but they're a nightmare. Every action that should be instantaneous takes anywhere from 20 seconds to nearly 2 minutes.

Last edited:
Portrait mode on a phone is a bit useless. No dates on posts/threads? Everything is zoomed into/takes longer to scroll. I miss the old way already.

Back
Top Bottom