Welcome to our updated site!

Methodical Management

Staff member
Co-Founder
Hey everyone, I'd like to thank those of you who were inconvenienced by last night's site update for your patience. Some final configurations are still being made, so please don't mind the dust.

Now that we're back online, I'd like to give all of you a quick tour of some of the new features we've added.

Let's begin with a feature made specifically for those of you who fear change and are now freaking out about the new look. Don't panic. A more familiar black theme is available. You need only select it from the style selector at the bottom of the screen:

Don't-Panic.jpg

When we started NikeTalk in 1999, computer displays were far less bright than they are today - and the contrast between pure white and pure black was becoming a little too harsh for some users. You may find that the new look is a bit easier on the eyes, and it was designed to meet WCAG accessibility guidelines. If you prefer the old black background and red links, just choose "OG" from the style selector.

Support for multiple themes is just the beginning.

Let's take a look at some of the new features we're most excited about:

• Thread galleries are now back. Our friends at Community Hired developed a new version of this highly requested feature from scratch with a vastly improved interface. You can even swipe through the images on your mobile devices. Just tap or click on an image to make it full size, and you can continue to flip through the gallery from there.

You'll find the new thread galleries in the sidebar on desktop/tablet, and at the bottom of the page on your phone. We know how much some of your missed this, and the team worked really hard to bring it back for you, better than ever.
Thread-Gallery.jpg

• You also now have access to multiple reactions. Aside from the traditional "thumbs up," you can now select from a variety of different reactions by holding the "like" button on mobile or hovering over it on desktop.

Reaction-List.jpg

• In threads containing videos, you'll find a new "picture in picture" icon you can use to watch an embedded video while you scroll through the page:
PiP.jpg

• To further improve account security (because we're not StockX), the updated system now utilizes improved encryption protocols to store your passwords. Password strength is now evaluated upon password creation, to encourage better security practices.

• The site will now benefit from full unicode emoji support. If you post an emoji from your phone, users will see that same character on all other platforms. The site's built in emoji library will also be upgraded even further from what you see here, and will finally include support for different skin tones.

• Support has been added for higher resolution avatars better suited to high DPI displays.

• There's a new "quick post" feature, allowing you to compose new threads right from the forum page:
    Quick-Thread.jpg

• No more "posting for later." You can now bookmark threads, or even individual replies, for future reference, and access them from your settings:
    bookmark.jpg

• Push notifications are also available for select devices. Unfortunately, Apple webkit does not support the protocol at this time - and that was not our choice. Many of us on the staff use Apple devices and we all hope the feature can be extended to iOS and Safari soon.

• Link previews are available for most sites:

Link-Preview.jpg
  • We are also introducing an ad free subscription option for users who donate $20. This is not a cash grab. The entire amount, minus only the payment processing fee associated with the credit card transaction, will be given to charity. If you'd like to purchase a subscription, you may do so at any time through the "upgrades" area in your settings, or by following this link: https://niketalk.com/account/upgrades

On behalf of the entire team here at NikeTalk, I'd like to thank you once again for your patience and continued support for our community. We hope you enjoy the new site and look forward to improving it based on your feedback and suggestions in the weeks and months ahead.

The link to view the full gallery is broken, keeps giving a server error
Where are you seeing that?

In some of the larger threads, it's currently taking some time for those galleries to populate - as there are literally thousands of images. Try it in this thread and you'll see how it works.

Those of you who remember the old site will hopefully be pleased by the way it's laid out. The old feature was never designed for massive threads like the ones we often host here. If you were in a major sneaker release thread and wanted to see pictures of the newest colorway, you might have to scroll through hundreds and hundreds of images to get there. Now, the most recent images are shown first. That just makes more sense, right?

The interface for the gallery is much cleaner, too. There's even a slideshow option now, if for some reason you were craving a screen saver composed of images from your favorite thread.

Where are you seeing that?

In some of the larger threads, it's currently taking some time for those galleries to populate - as there are literally thousands of images. Try it in this thread and you'll see how it works.

Those of you who remember the old site will hopefully be pleased by the way it's laid out. The old feature was never designed for massive threads like the ones we often host here. If you were in a major sneaker release thread and wanted to see pictures of the newest colorway, you might have to scroll through hundreds and hundreds of images to get there. Now, the most recent images are shown first. That just makes more sense, right?

The interface for the gallery is much cleaner, too. There's even a slideshow option now, if for some reason you were craving a screen saver composed of images from your favorite thread.
Just tried it in this thread and got the same message as below.

1569583781243.png

I'm going to give this am honest chance before I switch to OG style.
Can't lie, I logged on and said hey, who moved my cheese but just cause it's different doesn't mean it's bad.

Although the layout looks nice, the page load time is taking a little longer than expected.

Also, scrolling through the forum/thread is not as smooth as it was (horizontal a vertical). I’m not sure if it’s because of the body of the site (frame)? Or, due to the images. Or, even just the load time on the site.

I have an IPhone XS. Software v.. 13.1 and Safari.
The new software version on the pervious platform was so fluid. Unsure if it’s the iOS though.

Last edited:
Just tried it in this thread and got the same message as below.

1569583781243.png
Thank you for reporting this issue. I've passed it along to the team. Hopefully it will be addressed shortly. I appreciate your patience.

What's the charity?
So the initial - and long term - plan is to give those who subscribe a selection of options and allow you to choose which charity you'd like your subscription to benefit.

Unfortunately, we couldn't do that for launch, so what we'll do for this year is see how much we're able to raise and that will determine how many organizations we're able to contribute to. As we don't yet have a technical solution to allow everyone to choose their personal favorite, we can still benefit a wide range, as we have for our recent apparel sales:

Although the layout looks nice, the page load time is taking a little longer expected.

Also, scrolling through the forum/thread is not as smooth as it was (horizontal). I’m not sure if it’s because of the body of the site (frame)? Or, due to the images. Or, even just the load time on the site.

I have an IPhone XS. Software v.. 13.1 and Safari.
The new software version on the pervious platform was so fluid. Unsure if it’s the iOS though.
There are some processes running in the background right now to get all the thread image galleries populated. You can imagine how many images there are all over the site, and the system is organizing all of them into galleries. That's taxing, and I suspect that it's causing some sluggishness, but I think you'd agree that this is better than shutting down for the day.

If you're referring to the smoothness of your device's scrolling rather than loading times, try selecting the "OG" theme - it has fewer visual effects and runs a bit more smoothly on lower powered devices. Let me know if that clears things up for you.

If you're referring to the smoothness of your device's scrolling rather than loading times, try selecting the "OG" theme - it has fewer visual effects and runs a bit more smoothly on lower powered devices. Let me know if that clears things up for you.

Made the changes in the preferences. Seems to work better. Thank you.

On ios 13.1. Probably mentioned somewhere already but a couple things ive noticed is that when I do a post reply it takes a tad longer than before and idk if its because of ads but when im scrolling down to read the comments the page jumps down a post or two, so need to go back up to find where I left off. Other than that, I really like it.

Back
Top Bottom