What’s good in Austin, TX

Taking a trip to Austin for the homies bday. Haven’t been to Texas before. I’ve heard some good things.

So far 6th and Rainey street seem to be the move but which restaurants, bars, etc, do y’all suggest?

Thanks in advance

Taking a trip to Austin for the homies bday. Haven’t been to Texas before. I’ve heard some good things.

So far 6th and Rainey street seem to be the move but which restaurants, bars, etc, do y’all suggest?

Thanks in advance

Should of told your homie go to Houston instead.

As far as Austin it's just 6th street. Yall should have a spot right on 6th street also not outside.

I've been here 3 years.
West 6th is cool, dirty 6th is a no go. Too ghetto and littered with teeny boppers. There's an hd video of someone getting shot Saturday floating around.

Rainey is ok, not my favorite but i'd choose it over 6th. Depends on what type of crowd you want, honestly. It's more vh1.

Domain is a good spot during the day and happy hour but it gets kinda hood at night.
Culinary dropout is a great spot to eat. Plenty of good restaurants here.

Tubing and drinking on Lake Travis:pimp:

My cousins work on Dirty 6th so I always go down there when I'm in town and get WASTED for very cheap.

Terry Black's for BBQ

Never went to Franklin's, was gonna hit it up but after asking locals they said to go to Terry's. It was pretty much the best BBQ I've ever had.
Can anyone who has tried both, give their opinion on which is better?

Gordough's Doughtnuts
The put doughnuts in your meal, like burgers, sandwhiches

Bartlett's for the greatest french dip ever

Radio.Coffee.Beer is a great place to hangout and listen to live bluegrass, vibe is really cool. There is a food truck there with some nice mexican food too.

We did an activity where you Kayak under a bridge and watch a million bats fly migrate Mexico, it's pretty cool and the bridge you watch it under there's hella people watching from the bridge, really a unique experience. Had everyone feeling like
giphy.gif

Here's a pic before it started, happens literally right when the sun sets.
MVIMG_20180711_204340.jpg

franklins bbq
if you can't go there terry blacks hits as well (bbq)
la barbeque is fire too
gordoughs - doughnut spot with sweet and savory (get both). really is fire...def go here
theres a pizza spot called via 313 that is soooooooooooo fire (detroit style deep dish)
gus's fried chicken
valentinas - tex mex bbq...brisket and egg tacos are fire
24 diner - great all hours spot where you can eat and drink (one of my fav spots)
kerbey lane - 24 hour diner that everyone in austin goes to (especially for brunch after a night of drinking) gets really packed
torchy's tacos - queso is the bomb
hoovers - southern soul food
uchi - high end sushi
suerte - upscale mexican food
quality seafood market - if you like oysters
comedor - is a modern mexican restaurant. higher end dining
theres so many restaurants in austin... mostly non-chain restaurants near downtown
food trucks are always poppin too ...culture is big there
go to thrillist.com or eater austin and look at austin restaurants. im having a hard time thinking of them all. im always pretty inebriated in austin

6th street is cool if you never been. it's called dirty 6 now. you'll see the younger crowd there. lots of live bands and clubs and bars. just get ****ed up and go bar to bar. its a great time with friends.
rainey st is fun...lots of cool bars that isn't like 6th. a little more chill but still gets crazy sometimes
the locals hang out on the east side. lots of dive bars
the domain is new part of austin where you will find hotels, restaurants, shops, and malls. high end stuff too. (a nicer part of austin)

i don't know too many bars and clubs anymore but just do some exploring downtown and start on 6th. you are bound to have a good time

Loved the food in Austin, but man I'm done taking travel recommendations from white people man....

Walk past every bar and it's nothing but folk and country...just can't get into it.
DC/Chicago/NY still my favorite spots to visit

Nah man, Vegas > everything. I hate down town Chicago, everything is such a huge rip off, parking is off the chain.

Was in Austin July 4th week and it was completely dead. Half the food trucks on Rainey were closed and nearly every bar was completely empty. 6th street was a bit more lively but still wasn't what I was expecting. Tons of homeless around the area since there is a large shelter nearby, and they are by far some of the most ruthless ones I've encountered in any city.

La Barbecue was legit though.

Loved the food in Austin, but man I'm done taking travel recommendations from white people man....

Walk past every bar and it's nothing but folk and country...just can't get into it.
which is exactly the reason Houston > austin > san antoni > dallas
and living in houston you can always take the 2-3 hour drive to austin to get away. thats easy.

its crazy how different the two cities are though. night and day

White folks heavy on Austin, Nashville, and San Diego for trips right now...one dude I worked with always tried to talk up going to Austin or Nashville with my homeboys, he just ain’t understand it was a different type of vibe we on when we hit outta town n those places don’t got it like that :lol:

But just on a chill weekend or something I heard Austin cool tho, alotta food and that strip with the bars

Went a month ago for a bach party stayed at the Van Zandt right next to Rainey street. 6th street was a real good time and Lake Travis. Juan in a million for breakfast is legit, torchys tacos , three forks for a steak dinner. XTC for stripclub.....those scooters come in clutch. And yea the homeless are allllll over ....coming from ny im used to it but it seemed for prevalent here.

Used to live there for 4 years, just got back from vacation in Austin.

Kerbey lane, terry blacks bbq, home slice pizza, summer moon coffee, roaring fork, round rock donuts..... great city

Nah man, Vegas > everything. I hate down town Chicago, everything is such a huge rip off, parking is off the chain.

And Vegas isn’t a rip off? :lol: Clubs are more expensive in Vegas than anywhere

Going downtown was your first mistake. Too many bougie **** and over priced drinks. Which spot you hit up?

Next time you’re going lmk I’ll guide you to a neighborhood depending on your female preference literally (Latino, black, white)

Back
Top Bottom