What are the places to avoid in CA?

Family vacation for 2 weeks, last thing we need now is to get jumped. Never been in the US for that long so do not know what to expect regarding crimes.

Going to oakland, the hotel is near the airport. Then to sac, then to los angeles. What are places I should avoid and any tips?

Whats the main shopping mall in Oakland? Just interested in that part of oakland

Last edited:
Family vacation for 2 weeks, last thing we need now is to get jumped. Never been in the US for that long so do not know what to expect regarding crimes.

Going to oakland, the hotel is near the airport. Then to san francisco, then to los angeles. What are places I should avoid and any tips?

Whats the main shopping mall in Oakland? Just interested in that part of oakland
some areas of oakland are dangerous and kinda sketch. the malls closest to you are probably hilltop mall in richmond or westfield in SF. avoid richmond mall, that place is extremely ghetto and sad :smh: :lol: if you wanna go to the mall, go to san francisco. you won't be disappointed. :smile:

ps if you wanna check out good deals on nike shoes and apparel, there's a clearance store in san leandro. :smile: dirt cheap!

Last edited:
family from hong kong, im from canada. Basically just trying to pick up some basketball apparel at the typical ***** sporting goods, footlocker while in oakland because they dont have those stores where Im from.

family from hong kong, im from canada. Basically just trying to pick up some basketball apparel at the typical ***** sporting goods, footlocker while in oakland because they dont have those stores where Im from.
you won't get that from oakland :lol:

edit: jk, there are two shops actually:

1430 Broadway
Oakland, CA 94612 ‎

3275 Lakeshore Ave
Oakland

Last edited:
Why would you go to the mall while on vacation (especially in today's day and age of internet shopping)?

Usually when someone from abroad vacations in Oakland so they can visit one of their fine shopping malls, it means they've lost a bet with the Devil.

I would spend most of your time in SF or take a trip out to Sonoma or Monterey Bay for the scenery. A lot of the Asian tourists like to shop at the outlets in Napa, Gilroy, and even out in Vacaville (it's like 90% Asian on the weekends). I actually think outlets are better than shopping malls. Same stuff, better deals, outdoor walking. I know Napa Outlets is sleepy during the week so that's good. You might also be interested in Santana Row in San Jose. 

Most of these dudes saying avoid Oakland are probably frail timid kids from Daily City/Serramonte who might have driven through here, don't listen to them.

If your hotel is in Oakland that's not a bad home base at all. You'll be in a central location within the Bay Area and you'll be immediately surrounded by great food. 

If I were you I'd just grub here in Oakland and then make moves to SF, Monterey, Sonoma, the mall or whatever you're looking to get into.

No shopping malls in Oakland. Southland and Hilltop malls are 15 min up/down the 880 freeway respectively but they're both dumps. Stoneridge Mall is 20 mins east of the airport and is your typical generic suburban CA mall. Your best bet for shopping is SF. 

If you're looking for places to eat and/or drink I can let you know a bunch of good spots. 

No shopping malls in Oakland bruh? How you gone disrespect Eastmont like that?
laugh.gif

i actually skated around oakland this past friday and it wasn't what i heard it was. you'll be good OP.

RIPjk

Places to Avoid in San Francisco:

Hunters Point
Tenderloin
Fillmore

Places to avoid in Oakland/Eastbay:

West Oakland
Moraga (VERY scary)

Good Luck

Last edited:
Most of these dudes saying avoid Oakland are probably frail timid kids from Daily City/Serramonte who might have driven through here, don't listen to them.

If your hotel is in Oakland that's not a bad home base at all. You'll be in a central location within the Bay Area and you'll be immediately surrounded by great food. 

If I were you I'd just grub here in Oakland and then make moves to SF, Monterey, Sonoma, the mall or whatever you're looking to get into.

No shopping malls in Oakland. Southland and Hilltop malls are 15 min up/down the 880 freeway respectively but they're both dumps. Stoneridge Mall is 20 mins east of the airport and is your typical generic suburban CA mall. Your best bet for shopping is SF. 

If you're looking for places to eat and/or drink I can let you know a bunch of good spots. 

You can also take the BART...... oh wait.....

Back
Top Bottom