What are u sippin on? VOL.......cheers

Anybody ever gotten their hands on the Buffalo Trace White Dog (mash bill #1)?

Thinking about going back to get a second and maybe third bottle tomorrow. See below, but would love to have a bottle set aside as a control group mini-shot drink.

I have a mini American white oak aging barrel (1L) my wife got me years ago, this seems like the perfect bottle to set up as a tester for my friends who don’t know as much about bourbon. Thinking about pulling tasters from different time periods for my friends to see how the taste changes over time. They’re mostly wine drinkers, so think this might be a great group dinner activity whenever I host the next night.

I’ve also never aged anything in this barrel, so any tips will be greatly appreciated. I know I need to cure it before putting any liquor in it. But fire away if you have any input.

Anybody ever gotten their hands on the Buffalo Trace White Dog (mash bill #1)?

Thinking about going back to get a second and maybe third bottle tomorrow. See below, but would love to have a bottle set aside as a control group mini-shot drink.

I have a mini American white oak aging barrel (1L) my wife got me years ago, this seems like the perfect bottle to set up as a tester for my friends who don’t know as much about bourbon. Thinking about pulling tasters from different time periods for my friends to see how the taste changes over time. They’re mostly wine drinkers, so think this might be a great group dinner activity whenever I host the next night.

I’ve also never aged anything in this barrel, so any tips will be greatly appreciated. I know I need to cure it before putting any liquor in it. But fire away if you have any input.
1 liter is really small, I would take these steps based on what I've read:
1. Fill with water for a day or 2 to make sure it seals good
2. Fill it with the cheapest spirit you can find (vodka) to get the worst tannins out of the wood
3. You could fill it with something to season the barrel (sherry / smoky scotch) so that it will add flavour to your bourbon.
4. You will get mostly added wood flavour, so be careful to not get an over-oaked bourbon. It would also be fun to get your hands on some new-make spirit instead of already aged bourbon.

F62B2A77-E135-4DAE-8FBD-77D461DF06D8.jpeg

brought these for a birthday party this past weekend.

1 liter is really small, I would take these steps based on what I've read:
1. Fill with water for a day or 2 to make sure it seals good
2. Fill it with the cheapest spirit you can find (vodka) to get the worst tannins out of the wood
3. You could fill it with something to season the barrel (sherry / smoky scotch) so that it will add flavour to your bourbon.
4. You will get mostly added wood flavour, so be careful to not get an over-oaked bourbon. It would also be fun to get your hands on some new-make spirit instead of already aged bourbon.
Really missed on the size of this thing, it’s actually a 3L. Just went through the water process, so will definitely try the cheap vodka route next then maybe follow up with a sherry or port.

Need to reach out to some of the local distilleries about new make. Haven’t exactly been looking out for it, but the BT White Dog was the first I had noticed in the stores around me.

Has anyone tried the Villon cognac that Curren$y been reppin heavy lately?
Doesn't look like high quality stuff, more branding than substance. It's not actually cognac, but cognac with added wheat spirit so they call it 'cognac liqueur'. I've never tried it though

Just got started in the Whiskey/Scotch/ Burbon game....

When did it get this crazy?

Around 2017-2018. I first noticed it when I bought a bottle of Henry McKenna for $40 then it won worlds best whiskey and price double couldn’t find it anywhere for a while. When stock came back it had the fake plastic cork screw instead of the twist on/off cap and it was slightly more metallic tasting.

Yo…go on Netflix and check out a series called Heist…more specifically the two Episodes titled The Bourbon King…about this white dude that used to steal from Buffalo Trace Distilley. It is pretty interesting.

IMG20210908190242.jpg

LPU: Norlan Rauk Tumbler. Finally bit the bullet and ordered one, way too expensive but it's one hell of a glass. Weighs in at 1.8 pounds, almost twice as heavy as my heaviest tumbler. Beautiful to look at.

Yo…go on Netflix and check out a series called Heist…more specifically the two Episodes titled The Bourbon King…about this white dude that used to steal from Buffalo Trace Distilley. It is pretty interesting.

Great series. Really surprising that Buffalo Trace let them use all of their logos and likeness. Dudes back in the day was really just lifting cases of Pappy and whole barrels like it was nothing. Amazing.

Back
Top Bottom