What are u sippin on? VOL.......cheers

I’ve been heavy into Buffalo Trace as of late but plan on exploring Four Roses more. 4R yellow is one of my go to sub $20 bottles. Wanna try the Single Barrel 100 proof, small batch select and barrel proof series

I’ve only had the 1920. It is one of my favorites along with Eagle Rare. Damn shame you can’t find that bottle regularly anymore. Hell, anything from the Buffalo Trace Distillery. WT101 is the one of the best values in bourbon. 100% bourbon at like $23. Steal.
I really like ER for the price but the chocolate/peanut note and dryness from the oak prevents it from being a daily drinker for me.

Found these gems at a local store in the back office last week. Cost a pretty penny but was able to flip some shoot to cover almost everything.
E7927FD9-2634-423E-B324-FE0D0A2A3CEA.jpeg
33BACD0A-2914-49DD-8F62-BBEEF37A34A9.jpeg
3XR0chfiSTtAI.gif

did a blind side by side tonight: Buffalo Trace vs ER. Was pretty easy to tell the eagle rare, it was much drier and oakier. BT was much more vibrant but still had some of that chocolate character coming through.

all in all, despite being nearly identical, it’s worth stocking both for the price.

IMG20201218190340.jpg

Anyone try this? Super underrated stuff. Would love to see how this competes in a blind test with higher priced bourbons.

Phew, store local to my parents got a fresh shipment of Elmer T Lee. Snagged a few bottles for curbside. 140 bottles gone in under an hour. Line formed as soon as the truck came in, word spreads quickly

Nice Brunello pick ups. Have three 2010s in our cellar. Was very fortunate to have had a vintage Brunello and it was legit the best thing I have ever drank. It had a nose that I can’t describe but it was also one of the best aromas I have ever smelled.

Nice Brunello pick ups. Have three 2010s in our cellar. Was very fortunate to have had a vintage Brunello and it was legit the best thing I have ever drank. It had a nose that I can’t describe but it was also one of the best aromas I have ever smelled.

Do you remember what year it was and when you had it?

I had it in February and I can’t remember the year. I thought I had it saved in my Vivino but I can’t find it.

I gotta learn how to describe all these tastes I’ve been tasting. I’ve traditionally been a tequilla, cognac, and gin guy but I’ve ventured into the bourbon and I don’t see myself going back. Woodford, Knob Creek, and Four Roses are ones I know I like. Not a big fan of Buffalo Trace. Always open to reasonably-priced suggestions.

I gotta learn how to describe all these tastes I’ve been tasting. I’ve traditionally been a tequilla, cognac, and gin guy but I’ve ventured into the bourbon and I don’t see myself going back. Woodford, Knob Creek, and Four Roses are ones I know I like. Not a big fan of Buffalo Trace. Always open to reasonably-priced suggestions.
In the same boat with you but I’ve found the rye content and age have a large impact on taste. Then if wheat is added, that typically makes a difference too.

what’s your price range? Four roses small batch and single barrel are good sub $45 options. Add wild turkey 101 and you got a few good high rye options

larceny and rebel yell 100 are good intros into wheated bourbons.

Evan Williams bottled in bond might be the best sub $20 bottle. There’s a single barrel variant too for $30 which might be the best value under Heaven Hill after they raised the price on McKenna BiB

I typically taste myself and try to look for notes on the palate and finish. Then I look up the tasting notes online and see how I compare. Early on you want to calibrate your palate. You wanna be able to identify tastes with words and descriptions.

For tonight:

Sinuses are ****ed up from getting a cotton swab shoved up my nose for a covid test today :lol: my go to cocktail for times like this is my version of a hot toddy:

-equal parts water and equal parts apple cider, hot
-teaspoon honey
-2 oz bourbon (preferably higher proof as some of the alc will burn off from the heat
-lemon slice
-cinnamon or cinnamon stick

tasty, clears up sinuses and puts you on your *** after a few :lol:

In the same boat with you but I’ve found the rye content and age have a large impact on taste. Then if wheat is added, that typically makes a difference too.

what’s your price range? Four roses small batch and single barrel are good sub $45 options. Add wild turkey 101 and you got a few good high rye options

larceny and rebel yell 100 are good intros into wheated bourbons.

Evan Williams bottled in bond might be the best sub $20 bottle. There’s a single barrel variant too for $30 which might be the best value under Heaven Hill after they raised the price on McKenna BiB

I typically taste myself and try to look for notes on the palate and finish. Then I look up the tasting notes online and see how I compare. Early on you want to calibrate your palate. You wanna be able to identify tastes with words and descriptions.
I’m comfortable going up to $50 for a bottle but I’d prefer to be closer to $30 if I’m not sacrificing on taste. I’ve done all my bourbon drinking out and at friends’ houses. The wife and I usually do wine at home.

I know I’m not a fan of rye so not sure if I’d like bourbons with more rye. I would think the more corn the better but I won’t claim to know the ratio of corn-rye in anything I’ve had.

I’ve been trying that tasting strategy with wine. When I get a new bottle I log it on Vivino and list the notes I think I’m tasting. Sometimes I’m close to what others say... Any good sites or apps that are similar for bourbon?

I’m comfortable going up to $50 for a bottle but I’d prefer to be closer to $30 if I’m not sacrificing on taste. I’ve done all my bourbon drinking out and at friends’ houses. The wife and I usually do wine at home.

I know I’m not a fan of rye so not sure if I’d like bourbons with more rye. I would think the more corn the better but I won’t claim to know the ratio of corn-rye in anything I’ve had.

I’ve been trying that tasting strategy with wine. When I get a new bottle I log it on Vivino and list the notes I think I’m tasting. Sometimes I’m close to what others say... Any good sites or apps that are similar for bourbon?
Wheated bourbons are right up your alley then. Larceny and Rebel Yell 100 are both sub 30 and are readily available. If you can find any Weller without insane mark up, I would grab that

I’m not sure if any similar apps but BreakingBourbon is a site I found that does solid reviews on this stuff. The best overall resource is the bourbon subreddit tbh

D2E9A80D-3C2A-4A07-9573-E97906DCC1E1.jpeg
98A061BF-3AD6-4A97-985F-A35E0C779F3B.jpeg

last couple of nights. Bledsoe was the family blend which was tremendous.
Would also recommend Wild Turkey 101, Old Grandad 114 as far as sub $40 bourbons. If you can find it Weller Special Reserve might be the best sub $40 wheat bourbon.

Back
Top Bottom