What did you think was exaggerated until it happened to you?

What do you guys think about alcohol consumption.

There seems to be this idea that only full blown alcoholics have an issue with alcohol. Which is logic that I flat out don't understand. Especially in terms of mental and spiritual health alcohol is alcohol.

Thoughts?
Functional alcoholism is most definitely a thing, and just because you're not drinking from sun up to sun down doesn't mean you're not an alcoholic.

There are a bunch of questions that you need to ask yourself to evaluate whether or not you have a problem with drugs or alcohol: how much are you using? can you control your consumption? is your habit causing legal/financial/interpersonal/relationship/professional/health problems? are you abandoning your responsibilities or obligations in favor of using the substance? do you go through withdrawals without it? are you putting yourself in dangerous situations in order to use? etc.

You could very easily be a daily drinker while maintaining relationships and keeping yourself out of trouble, but the longer that goes on the more things start to fall apart until one of the problems inevitably rears its ugly head.

What do you guys think about alcohol consumption.

There seems to be this idea that only full blown alcoholics have an issue with alcohol. Which is logic that I flat out don't understand. Especially in terms of mental and spiritual health alcohol is alcohol.

Thoughts?

Wouldn’t call myself a full blown alcoholic. But I like to drink to where it’s been problematic for me.

I’ve been trying to cut back, limit it to once a week or so, which I’m pretty good at doing. But I tend to go crazy on the one day I drink. Went to my local brewery this past Sunday to watch the NFL games. Had about 15 beers. Them hooking me up price wise doesn’t help matters lol. But I woke up Monday morning feeling like dog ****.

Ima try not to sip until super bowl Sunday and then after that go dry until st patricks day. But trying to control my alcohol and get it to where I barely ever drink is something I ultimately want to do.

Good thing i cant digest alcohol or else i would probably be an alcoholic cuz i have an addictive personality

Functional alcoholism is most definitely a thing, and just because you're not drinking from sun up to sun down doesn't mean you're not an alcoholic.

There are a bunch of questions that you need to ask yourself to evaluate whether or not you have a problem with drugs or alcohol: how much are you using? can you control your consumption? is your habit causing legal/financial/interpersonal/relationship/professional/health problems? are you abandoning your responsibilities or obligations in favor of using the substance? do you go through withdrawals without it? are you putting yourself in dangerous situations in order to use? etc.

You could very easily be a daily drinker while maintaining relationships and keeping yourself out of trouble, but the longer that goes on the more things start to fall apart until one of the problems inevitably rears its ugly head.
this is what i went through tbh. this is what a lot of people go through in the military. i would drink so much daily that it got to the point where i would justify it by being able to get up in the morning and still be active and do my job effectively.
it felt normal cause it was normal behavior in the military.
it wasn't until i got home and realized i was the only one who would be drinking straight tequila like water and still being fully functional that i realized i had a real problem. just cause you can handle the alcohol and function normally without people noticing doesn't mean you aren't an alcoholic. in fact in my case it meant the opposite.

I have a scotch and bourbon cabinet I usually have a drink from almost every night. I dont consider my self a alcoholic. I could go with out it. I just like tasting different kinds of aged whiskys and taking notes

this is what i went through tbh. this is what a lot of people go through in the military. i would drink so much daily that it got to the point where i would justify it by being able to get up in the morning and still be active and do my job effectively.
it felt normal cause it was normal behavior in the military.
it wasn't until i got home and realized i was the only one who would be drinking straight tequila like water and still being fully functional that i realized i had a real problem. just cause you can handle the alcohol and function normally without people noticing doesn't mean you aren't an alcoholic. in fact in my case it meant the opposite.
Yeah it took me taking a step back and looking at myself from an outside perspective/how I would view someone else who drank as much as I was drinking. I wouldn't necessarily say I had a a problem, even at my worst, but I was definitely in that borderline/"almost alcoholic" territory. I realized that if I saw someone drink as much as I was drinking I would probably think to myself "damn that dude can pound them down." :lol:

This documentary really helped put things into perspective for me too:

How often/much were you drinking in your "prime?"

How often/much were you drinking in your "prime?"
3-5 drinks on work days, 6-10 on days off. Very few days without it. Never used it as a crutch or a coping mechanism, in fact the times that I wasn't drinking were times where I was upset about something. I find that drinking doesn't necessarily make me feel better; it just amplifies whatever I'm feeling at the moment.

I've drank beer twice so far this month, and no more than 3 drinks each time. What used to be light work for me now has me waking up feeling like dog ****. Definitely diminishing returns over time.

I mean even at $1000 per year, it would take 20/30 years to reac
You legit think folks in their mid 30s have spend 30K lifetime in alcohol?
I had this roommate name Randy, every night homeboy would bring home 2 cans of 4Lokos, gold edition which was more expensive than the regular. He also was a pack a day smoker. Thats $80 bux a week right there. Twice a week he'd visit the medical marijuana clinic and get dime bags of weed. That brings it up to $100 per week.

Predictably at the end of the month he'd splash out and bring a bottle of Ciroc or Grey Goose home. When you add all that up its damn near $500 a month.

Thats not even counting all the stuff he lost - like two different times he lost his wallet and keys and had no recollection. Our apt building has an electronic key fob, so he had to pay 100 to get a new one. Had to miss a day of work to go get his IDs and Social securitt cards replaced.

Also one time he was at a bar and somebody snatched his phone off the counter when he went to the bathroom.

Plus dude caught a DUI charge and had to pay 500 for an ignition interlock on his steering wheel, not too mention 2000 in court costs and probation. He also had to get high risk insurance which in Ohio is an extra $35 bux a month. He's also been arrested for disorderly conduct several times, it happened on a Friday night so he had to wait in jail till Monday morning to go in front of the judge.

Also hes chronically (no pun intended) late on paying bills. Our landlord would always charge him $50 bux for being 1-2 days late. His phone service was aleays getting suspended and he'd have to pay them $10. Plus dude stayed getting finessed by the "Rent To Own" stores. When the PS4 came out he was paying installments of $75 bucks a month for 24 months, wich when u do the math he couldve bought a Playstation, Xbox and Nintendo with all the damn money he spent.

Bad acid trips. It's all fun and games until your mind starts working against you and you're only 3 hours in to a 12-hour trip.

Took me about a year to feel "normal" after that experience.
feels like your mind is in hell literally and there nothing you can do but ride it out. terrible experience
i've posted this story before but here is my most memorable, and last, experience with LSD. i had done it a bunch of times before and it and had good experiences. i had a girlfriend who went on a short vacation with her family so i went out to have fun. stopped at a club to hang out and someone was selling acid so i bought some. i took a half of a big white blotter then chilled. didn't feel anything so i took the other half then drove to a party at my friend's house. went to the bathroom and saw some codeine syrup so i took a swig and went back outside. took the second paper cause i wasn't feeling anything and hung out and drank some beer. little while later felt like a lightning bolt hit me and my vision turned into like a photo negative for a second. i was like wtf but i kept quiet and drank my beer. happened a few more times so i went inside and lay down in my friend's room. i was anxious so i got up and figured i would start exercising to metabolize the drugs out of my system quicker (yes, i was getting nervous). i started doing some curls with a small barbell but there was a picture of a ufo on the wall and the flying saucer was coming out of the picture and zipping around the room and going back into the picture and it fascinated me. i stared for i don't know how long but my arms started to burn and i realized i was still holding the weights so i dropped them. then it starts getting weird. i changed my clothes and put on my friend's clothes and started imitating him hoping i could escape myself and be normal again. all the drugs were hitting hard so i went on the bed. i started playing music on the radio and i was ok until gonna raise hell by cheap trick came on and the universe started to fold in on itself. i was terrified. then, eventually, a jimi hendrix song came on and i felt really good and at some point after that i don't really remember but i fell asleep. early in the morning i woke up and went to the bathroom. the toilet seemed like a huge oval and i took a long pee then drove home feeling shaky. when i got home, i emptied my pockets and inside, there was a crumpled paper with crazy handwriting that said "dont ever do acid again". some time during my trip, i wrote a note to myself but the handwriting was nothing like my own lol. it was all jagged and scary-looking. after that, i never did acid again.

I always used to clown my homies for getting in their feelings over a girl...until my freshman year of college. I was green as h*** she really had me thinking she was the one. It was all good until Homecoming weekend, she said she would be busy with her friends I was young so I believed it.

Saturday rolls around I go to the game with the boys, having fun drinking enjoying college. Games over now its time to start making your moves for the night. I text her to see if she's trying to kick it. No response. I think "Cool she's probably tired or something from the game".

So I end up going out with the guys we're at a party and idk what possessed me to check my phone. But I opened Snapchat and she had a new story. I watch it and it's a picture of a gear shift. Shorty is sitting passenger in a Dodge Challenger. I flip to the next story and a Que got her up on his shoulders in the middle of the party.

tenor (1).gif

Next thing I know I'm staring at my drink wondering why my chest hurting.

SN: This is why I hate Mopar now.

Depression is up there on the list of things I believed was exaggerated and not truly as big of a deal as it really is. Back when I was in my early 20s and feeling invincible, I would look at depression like “get over it.” I’d dealt with a few setbacks in my teens that I was able to overcome somewhat easily. Then I dealt with a short bout of it after graduating from my masters program. I was in that dark place for about a month and got a chance to experience the “no light at the end of the tunnel” feeling. Thankfully I was able to pull myself out of of that mind state. To this day I don’t diminish the idea of someone dealing with depression.

Last edited:
I always used to clown my homies for getting in their feelings over a girl...until my freshman year of college. I was green as h*** she really had me thinking she was the one. It was all good until Homecoming weekend, she said she would be busy with her friends I was young so I believed it.

Saturday rolls around I go to the game with the boys, having fun drinking enjoying college. Games over now its time to start making your moves for the night. I text her to see if she's trying to kick it. No response. I think "Cool she's probably tired or something from the game".

So I end up going out with the guys we're at a party and idk what possessed me to check my phone. But I opened Snapchat and she had a new story. I watch it and it's a picture of a gear shift. Shorty is sitting passenger in a Dodge Challenger. I flip to the next story and a Que got her up on his shoulders in the middle of the party.

tenor (1).gif

Next thing I know I'm staring at my drink wondering why my chest hurting.

SN: This is why I hate Mopar now.
Last part reminds me of when I started dating a chick who had an ex named ray. I swear I despised everything that had the word ray in it.
Changed my mind on copping some ray bans.
I was already a huge Kobe fan, so I had even more reason to not like ray allen.

Holy sh** man.

I had a very bad trip on an edible. Kind of similar to what you guys are saying I was trapped in the worst part of my mind for like 6 hours. I learned things about myself that I didn’t want to face. And it was just on repeat getting deeper and deeper each time. It completely broke me down. It was brutal. It took me weeks to even feel normal again.

Somehow I came out of it with more humility and am grateful for that in some weird way but I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. Some people may not be as strong.

What kind of edible was it?

Last part reminds me of when I started dating a chick who had an ex named ray. I swear I despised everything that had the word ray in it.
Changed my mind on copping some ray bans.
I was already a huge Kobe fan, so I had even more reason to not like ray allen.

My last job did that to me. For a good month, I wasnt tryna see any name from that region of the world lol.

On the flip side:

Stephanie 😍
Denise 😍
Suzie 😒

3-5 drinks on work days, 6-10 on days off. Very few days without it. Never used it as a crutch or a coping mechanism, in fact the times that I wasn't drinking were times where I was upset about something. I find that drinking doesn't necessarily make me feel better; it just amplifies whatever I'm feeling at the moment.

I've drank beer twice so far this month, and no more than 3 drinks each time. What used to be light work for me now has me waking up feeling like dog ****. Definitely diminishing returns over time.

I used to go hard like this.

I've discussed this before.

Im an alcoholic.

Im not a drunk.

Might drink glass of Henn 2x a year

I drink a beer or 2 max on my days off.

Im not an alcoholic because I get drunk every night.

Im an alcoholic because im consciously doing what I need to not to drink.

Alcoholism is not a faze.

Its something you will deal with your whole life.

No one is ever an alcoholic and then is like I beat alcoholism.

One thing that I can say for sure is that if you tell your doctor you drink to the point of being drunk at least once on the weekends he/she will usually look at you like.......

And especially if you tell them you have one drink a day. I think they know that as we go through the ups and downs of life that same consumption amount is unsustainable.

Yeah it took me taking a step back and looking at myself from an outside perspective/how I would view someone else who drank as much as I was drinking. I wouldn't necessarily say I had a a problem, even at my worst, but I was definitely in that borderline/"almost alcoholic" territory. I realized that if I saw someone drink as much as I was drinking I would probably think to myself "damn that dude can pound them down." :lol:

This documentary really helped put things into perspective for me too:

Thanks for posting this video.
Excellent watch and certainly helps put things into perspective for me as well.

Having less time for friends as you get older. And the way people react to celebrity deaths. That changed when Kobe passed.

Back
Top Bottom