What Does Clicking Noise Mean on Desktop Computer

When I start up my HP Desktop computer it sometimes freezes or take a long time to start up.  During the start up process it makes a clicking noise coming from the computer.  What does this usually indicate?

How would I go about replacing the hard drive?(like what are my best options cost wise).....power supply? what would be some ways to check and see if the power supply is ok or fix it?

Could be anything

USB drive not being recognized, spyware trying to open up or something worse like a hdd failure.

RIP

Yea HDD is goin bad. If u hav an external, save ur info asap. As far as HDD pricing, for a desktop, their damn near free
laugh.gif
Look on newegg.com, tigerdirect.com, or my personal favorite price wise, ebay

Could be anything

USB drive not being recognized, spyware trying to open up or something worse like a hdd failure.

RIP

your desktop will self-destruct in....

it's probably your hard drive, fam. time to upgrade or get a new computer.

thanks for your help guys, how would I go about verifying the hd is bad before buying one?

thanks for your help guys, how would I go about verifying the hd is bad before buying one?

You dont want to verify that it's a bad HD before you buy a new one... Just back it up and toss it. Nine times out of ten, that's the problem. By the time you varify it's the HD, it's probably too late.

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

You dont want to verify that it's a bad HD before you buy a new one... Just back it up and toss it. Nine times out of ten, that's the problem. By the time you varify it's the HD, it's probably too late.

thanks man if if I have office 2010 beta and windows 7 that I just purchase recently will I be ablle to use those both when I get the new hardrive?  All I have is the key bought it online from the student store

My HP desktop makes ticking noises too (doing it right now actually) and sometimes it sounds like a damn lawnmower. I thought it may be the power supply or the hard drive, but it turned out to be the fan on my graphics card. I don't know if yours is having the same problem, but check out youtube, some of the videos/comments are actually pretty funny. .

HP sucks.

Back
Top Bottom