What does it cost to open a fast food franchise? Wow at Wendy's and Panera Bread requirements

A part of me wants to believe opening a McDonalds in 2015 is a big investment, but that might just be me existing in my own bubble. If I had the capital I'd open a Chick Fil A or Panera

After McDonald's up there ice tea to $1.69 from a $1.00. I can't **** with them anymore

A part of me wants to believe opening a McDonalds in 2015 is a big investment, but that might just be me existing in my own bubble. If I had the capital I'd open a Chick Fil A or Panera
Panera you need to have $7.5mil net worth and $3mil liquid but Chick Fil-A is low capital.  They're just very selective on who they allow to be a franchisee

Chick Fila you can't work anywhere else though or have any other source of income.

And why make money for someone else's franchise when you can start up ya own chain

Last edited:
My homie had a subway for like 2 years. I think he got a loan for it but he said it was a total hassle to run just cause you have employees to handle with and even work like 7 days a week. By the end of it, he sold it off and just got a day job.

Interesting to see here for those here that may be thinking about going this route.  It's crazy the difference in initial costs and requirements.  Wendy's require $5mil net worth and $2mil liquid assets and Panera Bread $7.5mil net worth and $3mil liquid assets.  Chick Fil-A has the lowest capital required

http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...cost-to-open-a-fast-food-franchise/ss-AAboMZO
Damn Wendy's came up. Knew a UPS driver who was about to purchase another rental property to meet their requirements back when it was around 2 mill.

My homie had a subway for like 2 years. I think he got a loan for it but he said it was a total hassle to run just cause you have employees to handle with and even work like 7 days a week. By the end of it, he sold it off and just got a day job.

:lol: yup, I never hear good subway ownership stories.

Chick Fila you can't work anywhere else though or have any other source of income.

And why make money for someone else's franchise when you can start up ya own chain

Because it's just that simple...if you don't worry about the thousands that try and fail every year :lol:

I would think a food truck would be better since they always say location is everything
The thing with a franchise it's already established what it is. They have guys come out and see where to put it for the best success. A food truck is all on you.

Franchise is a great way to go if you're in it for the money. Jimmy johns has a low start up too from what I remember. I looked into it a few years ago and you only needed like 250k.

I'd be hesitant to go for McDonald's too. People are not feeling them anymore and it's going to be harder for them to slang their cheap crap. I know in some places in the UK they are getting servers to try and bring people in :lol: they will never fail but they won't be doing as good.

Last edited:
I wonder how much is the startup capital for a 24 hr convenience store with a deli to get that Yemen money

The thing with a franchise it's already established what it is. They have guys come out and see where to put it for the best success. A food truck is all on you.

Agreed. Plus food trucks are all about the product now which is why chef's mostly do it. If you have no culinary background, it's hard to really make something different than what is out there already. It's a tough game even though you can make more money now than before. The ones that are successful now are the ones really making that money. The new ones are the ones that really struggle. If you don't have a following, you could just sit there and not make any business.

Agreed. Plus food trucks are all about the product now which is why chef's mostly do it. If you have no culinary background, it's hard to really make something different than what is out there already. It's a tough game even though you can make more money now than before. The ones that are successful now are the ones really making that money. The new ones are the ones that really struggle. If you don't have a following, you could just sit there and not make any business.

Yeah food trucks aren't for anyone. If you can't run a restaurant you won't be able to keep a food truck up very long. Every second you're not serving food you're literally burning money when you're up and running.

My personal opinion is you should have at least 10 years in the industry before you try that.

I know someone who once owned a few little Caesar's pizzerias.  He said  its a good investment as far is risk concerned.  Since the company is already established, the advertising and everything is already paid for, you're pretty much guaranteed to make your money back.  And he said you do make a lot of money, but the company also takes a lot back.  Enough where he said its not really worth it.   You also have to learn how to make all the food.

I never heard anything bad about subway ownership.  Matter of fact theres 3 within 5 miles of me.  2 of them are literally right across the street from one another.  The owner should hire a manager to handle the employees, they don't need to be in there 7 days a week

I never heard anything bad about subway ownership.  Matter of fact theres 3 within 5 miles of me.  2 of them are literally right across the street from one another.  The owner should hire a manager to handle the employees, they don't need to be in there 7 days a week

True. My buddy actually had his wife run the Subways he had. He literally just did paperwork and strolled in there a few times a day to just help here and there. Having his wife work there was the loophole cause he obviously didn't have to pay her. Still though, he didn't really leave with tons money after selling it. Plus he owned 1 Subway in the ghetto and the other one in a decent area. He had a lot of issues with just knuckleheads coming in and harassing the employees. He's more content now having a day job though, plus his wife is a nurse and makes 6 figures now and they live in an area where cost of living is way more affordable.

It maybe a requirement in the contract for the owner to work at subway for so many years before taking a step back

It should be. How do you know how to manage your employees if you don't know how to do their job. It's not a hands off game. People get in it for the wrong reasons. Even franchises.

It's cut throat and if you aren't cool working 80 hours a week for your place at minimum to start it isn't for you.

That depends if your original location is successful enough to open up other locations.

I do think this is the time again to start and own a restaurant/bar/truck. It's amazing how even in SF, there are so many places opening up and taking that chance in making it. There have been such a growth in just bars alone because all these tech companies like happy hours. On one hand, people are content again paying to eat at nice places and spending dough but on the other hand, buildings are charging an arm and a leg for rent. By the end of it, it's still a struggle.

Back
Top Bottom