What does it mean to be a hippie?

How has this changed from the 60's till now? This is a culture ive often been intrigued by but know nothing about. I imagine its more than just smoking weed all day.

Wearing toms 
grin.gif

Just being a rebel and living life as you should (stress free) is how i see modern day hippies. That's just my opinion though *shrugs*

-being free from the shackles of "the man" ie. consumerism, getting a 9-5 job

I think now the hippie movement evolved and branched off into different subcultures, like crust punks for example.

284107_10150745025605245_811820244_20318062_3056669_n.jpg

Originally Posted by NinerFaithful

I think now the hippie movement evolved and branched off into different subcultures, like crust punks for example.

look like they smell horrible. 

Originally Posted by Cobra Kai

Originally Posted by NinerFaithful

look like they smell horrible. 

that's that bumlife, im not bout that...look how dirty she is 
sick.gif
 gotta smell like sewage and feel like rubbish
a squad of greaseballs

real life...

dude in the first pic... on his hand, each finger has a letter, spells out HOBO

what the hell
when i think of hippies i think of dudes with long hair always high tie dye shirts etc.
dudes posted in this thread are straight up bums
laugh.gif

Living a non structured. Being at peace with yourself, so that nothing can affect your positive vibes. Appreciating the small things that make life worth living.

My parents were hippies. Those schmoes up there are not hippies, nothing close.

Being free spirited, not stressed by anything, loving nature, at peace with yourself and the Universe.

To add to what's already been said; actually taking action for the things one is passionate about.

The biggest thing that people tend to overlook about hippies of the past and modern day "hippies" is that in the past, hippies would actually do stuff. They protested, they would chain themselves to trees while bulldozers revved their engines, and they supported the local causes in their area to create change on a grand scale. Many people lost their lives during the hippie movements of the past.

Now a days, most people are self proclaimed hippies so that they have an excuse to smoke weed every day and not shower. Those are just my observations, though.

Back
Top Bottom