In the last four weeks I've read:

The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis
1984 by George Orwell
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk
Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

And I plan on starting Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane either tonight or tomorrow.

Survivor, Fight Club, 1984 and The Road were my favorites. I would definitely read at least one of those if I was you.

there was a official book thread yesterday but the thread died.

but i just finished reading the Odyssey...

It was
pimp.gif
, except the ending
smh.gif

Losing Absalom, I just read it for a class.

It was okay. It did a little too much reminiscing for me, and it focused on meaningless characters for too long.

But, it's definitely a good story. Really sad, though.

been reading the Recluce series by Modesitt. not the best but good enough for a simple read
and just finished Ishmael by Quinn. pretty interesting but not as life changing as I was told it would be
good to see other NTers can read too! I might have to check out "the great divorce" I like the sci-fi Lewis books I've read
and if yall into non-fiction "Guns, Germs, and Steel" and "Collapse" are both great by Diamond.
I hope this thread keeps going, but I'm guessing it won't based on what northparkblind said. I didn't even see it so it must have dropped in theranks fast..

Rereading the dark tower series. Also Cemetary Dance and will reread HP for when the movie comes out

Literally just finished reading 1984, a harrowing but great read.

everyone should read it at some point in their lives.

Yup, 1984 is a cracking read. I'm looking for similar stories to 1984, oppression of the masses, surveillance state, dystopia etc. any suggestions anyone?

I'm currently reading Fatherland by Robert Harris, very interesting indeed so far.

Originally Posted by Maedhros Hawk

Yup, 1984 is a cracking read. I'm looking for similar stories to 1984, oppression of the masses, surveillance state, dystopia etc. any suggestions anyone?

I'm currently reading Fatherland by Robert Harris, very interesting indeed so far.
Fahrenheit 451 deals with censorship in the future, real easy read 150 pages good story.
Brave New World gives you a look at the future from a different perspective. I hated it but it's a "classic."

Survivor is definitely one of my favorite books. Palahniuk destroyed it. Lullaby and Choke are the next batch of Palahniuk books I'm gonna read. Sucks hehasn't put anything great out like his early work lately.

Some of those books were great when I read them in high school.

I'm reading "Elephant In The Room" now. Trying to kill at least 3 books this summer.

Project Arcade and a couple of Marvel Comics compilations, gotta check out Fight Club going to put that on my Amazon wish list.

Book about life:
tuesdays with morrie- mitch album

Damn good book:
we- Yevgeny Zamyatin

^^^^^takes a while to understand that #%$ tho

^ PM CallhimAR for Chomsky advice. He's obsessed with Chomsky.
Started Shutter Island last night so far so good. Can't wait to see the movie.

Waiting for the library to get in a biography on Eric Clapton titled Clapton. It is checked out until June 6 but I am next in line for it. My buddy at workread it and he liked it a lot so I'm going to check it out.

I'm currently reading Jon Meacham's Andrew Jackson - American Lion. It's a really good read.

The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer

This man literally had a primary school education and went on to become one of the most celebrated Bible historians of all time. Some of the stuff he says inthe book is chillingly prophetic, especially when one considers it was first published sometime in the 1940's.
eek.gif

Back
Top Bottom