What HD Media Player/External Hard Drive do you have? Thinking about getting an ASUS o Play!

I don't know much about which media player trumps what but the ASUS had good reviews. I just want the best and latest media player around. What do you guys suggest?

Ive heard good things about the Western Digital Media Player and Patriot's Box Office Media Player. Personally I just have a external HD, what is it that you're trying to do?

My friend just uses his PS3.
He has an external HD that he connects to it.

Play movies that i downloaded with my laptop and stream it to my 1080p tv, I tried looking for a way to do it with my xbox 360 but no luck. 

It has to be the right format, like .avi or .wmp iirc.
I downloaded a movie for my brother in a flash drive in avi format and he was able to play it on his 360.

What files you trying to play? You can plug your external into your xbox and they will play as long as the files are avi. With that though the best resolution you will get is 720p since i dont think avi supports any higher. If you have mkv files for 1080p rips you def need a hd media player. I have heard nothing but good things about the Western Digital one.

As far as externals go. I have 4 WD ones. I have not had any problems at all with them and they get constant abuse. My oldest one is like 5 years old and has been left plugged in and on for whole days at a time and it is still working great.

I'll give that external hard drive a shot, but i have an xbox 360 elite with 120 GB, can i just transfer files to my xbox via network or do i need an external hard drive still?

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

Originally Posted by MR MONDAY NIIGHT

format to wmv
what is a good program to convert .avi to wmw or mp4 without the quality suffering to much?

that i dunno
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by RetroFighterUSAW

I'll give that external hard drive a shot, but i have an xbox 360 elite with 120 GB, can i just transfer files to my xbox via network or do i need an external hard drive still?
Why transfer them? just use your laptop/pc as a server to stream to the 360

I tried using Windows Media Center from my laptop to xbox 360 but it will not play for some reason. Thats why i'm considering getting that ASUS o play! But if i can just play it using my xbox 360 then i'm good. Windows media center just doesn't work. So all i have to do is hook up an external hard drive and as long as it's .avi my xbox 360 will play it?

^You cannot transfer the files to your xbox HD. You can plug in an external hd to and you can play your avi files that way. Or if you want to stream from your comp get tversity. I believe the pro version is free too so you can even stream hulu videos to your xbox and watch on your tv.

WD Live Media Player...............plays ALL formats, mts, .avi, .mpg,. .mkv (bluray) etc etc etc...................wireless for most media, HD content, you need to connect an ethernet................use 4 2TB WD externals with it, amazing................................best pick up ever..........

Why is it that i hear that a 360 cannot play certain video files like the PS3 can?

I have a PS3 with a 1.5TB harddrive to it with only about 130 HD movies. I didn't want to network it yet since I only have a studio and would rather just play the actual file. It has been great!

have u thought about just getting a nettop? and loading XBMC/MythTV/Boxee? it'll give you a lot more than a media extender will. and they are like 200 bucks

I download 1080p/720p content and just stream it off my macbook to my ps3.

The Western Digital Media Player is nice. It's nice cause it plays .mkv files so you don't have to convert them to play on a PS3.

Back
Top Bottom