What is your JOB/Career ? Vol. Rate your happiness.

Chemical engineer in the midwest.

Happiness: 9/10

Since COVID, able to work from home. But, have to travel to different plants to startup projects every 2-3 months. Work with chemists to scale-up processes and site personnel (engineers, operations, maintenance, EHS) to incorporate new processes at plants. No major complaints really other than having to learn how each plant prefers to operate and having tight project deadlines.

not to grave dig this thread but i'm really giving myself until the end of this month to decide if i'm going to quit or not. the job environment is just too toxic. the boss is a piece of ish. i won't have another job lined up or anything but i do have some savings saved up where i'll be good for a while if need be. mental sanity/health > earning a paycheque while treated like the boss' little B. just needed to vent.

not to grave dig this thread but i'm really giving myself until the end of this month to decide if i'm going to quit or not. the job environment is just too toxic. the boss is a piece of ish. i won't have another job lined up or anything but i do have some savings saved up where i'll be good for a while if need be. mental sanity/health > earning a paycheque while treated like the boss' little B. just needed to vent.
Do it. We’re all replaceable in their eyes.

Burnt out af

now my supervisors kid has Covid so she won’t be in for 20 days. I just do whatever I want. :lol:

hr gave me an employee review to fill out for myself and I just threw that joint in the trash.

what am i going to review myself? I am my supervisor. I’m on the verge of walking off the job but I am getting laid off soon so I won’t because then I won’t get unemployment. I’ll walk off this spring instead if they don’t fix out situation.

I have talked to them and they said they will fix it by the time we start next season so I’ll make a decision then I guess.

I'm setting myself up for burn out. A lot of people left my job so I've been picking up the slack albeit for extra pay, but I need to start saying no soon.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that's close to over it. :lol:

My boss has had a stick up her *** ever since we've gone into survey window and everyone is getting the business over nonsense "problems." Lots of sit-downs with higher-ups and getting pulled into the office to get a dressing down over things that would once be considered not a big deal. People were already quitting in droves since the summer and now we're constantly short-staffed, so the expectation to do more with less is extremely frustrating.

The cherry on top for me this week is that I decided to get my flu shot at an outside pharmacy last week because appointments at employee health were basically all filled up and the deadline was approaching at the end of that week. I got my shot, provided the documentation, but the lot number and expiration date aren't clearly legible because of the pharmacist's handwriting so my job won't accept it. Now I'm in a back-and-forth between my job and the pharmacy tracking down a form of documentation that they can read clearly. I haven't been able to physically go to the pharmacy because I've been working all week and any time I call I get put on hold long enough to where I have to go back to work. Employee health keeps harassing me and making vague threats if I don't submit it by tomorrow and I feel like I'm being made the middle-man for something THEY want. All for a problem that's really no fault of my own.

I'm seriously considering looking for a job elsewhere soon. My NP school applications are in and I'd love to have a position that's a little more cushy so that I could focus the bulk of my attention on my future goals rather than my current purgatory.

Last edited:
Dude that sounds annoying af. :lol:

I think about going to a new job but it’s all going to be the same since everyone is understaffed.

like my company doesn’t treat people bad but it’s just too damn busy and they need to slow their roll. If you don’t have the staff stop taking all this work.

finally pulled the trigger and quit. felt like no better time than the new year to get a fresh start. no going to lie but it is a bit scary not knowing what i'm going to do next. the mental anguish was just starting to take over my life and life's too short to be living in misery. i have some money saved up so hopefully in the next few months i get things sorted out and find a career path that i'm passionate about.

mrse7en mrse7en Props to you. I’ve been there but I wasn’t in a position mentally to quit without something lined up. And there was a bit of the golden handcuffs dilemma. Job was miserable for almost a year and a friend/coworker quit without something lined up a month prior to me seriously considering it. I was a manager quickly becoming the face of problems I inherited. Luckily found a new job a few months later.

Personally, I didn’t want to set the precedent of risking long-term goals. But I get it. Job stress puts a strain on your personal life and wellbeing like no other.

mrse7en mrse7en Props to you. I’ve been there but I wasn’t in a position mentally to quit without something lined up. And there was a bit of the golden handcuffs dilemma. Job was miserable for almost a year and a friend/coworker quit without something lined up a month prior to me seriously considering it. I was a manager quickly becoming the face of problems I inherited. Luckily found a new job a few months later.

Personally, I didn’t want to set the precedent of risking long-term goals. But I get it. Job stress puts a strain on your personal life and wellbeing like no other.

Job stress I have no problem with, it’s when you work at a smaller company and you don’t like your boss and he creates a certain environment that not mentally healthy for any of his employees was my biggest issue. I kept brushing it off and living for the weekends but living miserable is not the way to do it imo. All this Covid/omnicron made me realize life is too short to not try to live your best life. And sometimes they may mean just taking a leap of faith

I work in Tax Consulting at a Big 4 Accounting Firm.

I really like it because the environment is diverse, pay is excellent, and it forces me to keep my sh** together and learn and improve.

It terms of passion etc., I am not passionate about tax but I am passionate about being helpful and walking away from interactions with others feeling good about it/myself. If that makes any sense. And the importance of waking up and having some place to be and work towards a goal with others. I have learned that showing up for others helps during those times when I struggle to show up for myself.

Also - I don’t waste too much time outside of work. Most of my time is spent in hobbies so I am constantly getting a dose of that child-like joy. It really makes everything easier and if I didn’t spend my time wisely I am not sure how I would carry myself career wise. Knowing me I would probably put too much strain on it which would make the silver lining difficult to find.

All things considered though, I am very fortunate.

Last edited:
M
finally pulled the trigger and quit. felt like no better time than the new year to get a fresh start. no going to lie but it is a bit scary not knowing what i'm going to do next. the mental anguish was just starting to take over my life and life's too short to be living in misery. i have some money saved up so hopefully in the next few months i get things sorted out and find a career path that i'm passionate about.
Happy for you fam. Life is too short to spend your time willingly being miserable. My best friend and his wife both quit their 6 figure jobs last month to start a new journey doing something they are more passionate about.

I'm all for it. It sounds like you've got a decent amount saved and will be fine until your next opportunity presents itself.

Enjoy this time fam.

I work in Tax Consulting at a Big 4 Accounting Firm.

I really like it because the environment is diverse, pay is excellent, and it forces me to keep my sh** together and learn and improve.

It terms of passion etc., I am not passionate about tax but I am passionate about be helpful and walking away from interactions with others feeling good about it/myself. If that makes any sense. And the importance of waking up and having some place to be and work towards a goal with others. I have learned that showing up for others helps during those times when I struggle to show up for myself.

Also - I don’t waste too much time outside of work. Most of my time is spent in hobbies so I am constantly getting a dose of that child-like joy. It really makes everything easier and if I didn’t spend my time wisely I am not sure how I would carry myself career wise. Knowing me I would probably put too much strain on it which would make the silver lining difficult to find.

All things considered though, I am very fortunate.
This literally sounds like my situation, I’m also in tax consulting at a Big 4.

Back
Top Bottom