What is your JOB/Career ? Vol. Rate your happiness.

I agree that everyone is right. We are all different.

But yeah most people for whatever reason never get to do their dream job or even a fulfilling one but it isn’t the end of the world. Just means you have to find it in your life outside of your career etc.

I've never needed/required a job to contribute to my happiness. There's always other ways to receive that sort of fulfillment. Get some hobbies
It’s hard to fit a hobby in when your working FT+. Family, women, exercise... I get what your saying though.. folks need to find that drive to be more independent. ...
it’s just hard for alotta people ... middle class is shrinking and everything’s expensive

I see hank’s point but at the same time it’s hard to keep on the grind day day after doing something you dislike/hate to get to enjoy your hobbies. I get mind over matter but mental toughness isn’t as easy as it sounds sometimes unless you experience a toxic environment

It’s hard to fit a hobby in when your working FT+. Family, women, exercise... I get what your saying though.. folks need to find that drive to be more independent. ...
it’s just hard for alotta people ... middle class is shrinking and everything’s expensive

Son

You ever run out of paper towels, toilet paper, deodorant, and toothepaste at the same time? 30-40 bucks easy :smh:. Haven't even ate yet :lol:

I refuse to consider my social media services (username acquisition and selling) a real job but it is my primary income and pays my bills.
It doesn't bore me but it's not exactly the most exciting either. Occasionally you deal with companies but 99% of the time you're just selling to private individuals, which means having to interact with lowballers and shady people. Pay differs greatly. Sometimes you make $1000 or more in a day, other times you barely scrape together $500 in 2 weeks.
At the end of the day it's more than what a regular job would pay me. It's not something anyone can just pick up, it takes years of experience and networking. In an attempt to help me get out of medical debt, a US friend introduced me to the lucrative market of social media usernames back in 2014 or so after I had to get half of my right lung removed and subsequently became chronically ill, which forced me to abandon my future in nursing. Happiness 6/10 I suppose, it doesn't really make me feel one way or the other.
It's also kinda bothersome to explain if someone asks what you do for a living, people tend to view it as shady but I can't really blame them.
This is just something to keep me in excellent shape financially while I figure out an actual career path.

I also do volunteer work for a mental health non-profit organization co-founded by a close friend's girlfriend, who is now my boss.
We host and moderate group talking sessions for students, moderated by students who have been trained by a university psychologist.
It's not a full-fledged group therapy session because it's run by students but virtually all the moderators are psychology students. The reception has been great and we've even gotten a shoutout from government officials and our monarchy, specifically the queen.
My function is mainly just IT support/web administrator but I do a bit of everything because my form of primary income allows me to easily multitask.
Due to Covid we couldn't host physical sessions anymore so we've transitioned to online sessions on Discord.
My coworkers are all great people and most of them are attractive women.
Technically there is a hierarchy where 3 people are my boss but it doesn't feel that way at all, especially since the primary one I report to is one of my closest friends' girlfriend and we've been good friends for years.
Happiness 10/10, couldn't be more pleased.

Last edited:
I see hank’s point but at the same time it’s hard to keep on the grind day day after doing something you dislike/hate to get to enjoy your hobbies. I get mind over matter but mental toughness isn’t as easy as it sounds sometimes unless you experience a toxic environment
Well don't do something you hate, doubt anyone is saying that, just doesn't have to be your "passion".

Son

You ever run out of paper towels, toilet paper, deodorant, and toothepaste at the same time? 30-40 bucks easy :smh:. Haven't even ate yet :lol:

Buy in bulk. Paper towels and toilet paper are absurdly cheaper per roll when you buy them at Costco/Sam’s Club. If you don’t have the space, at least hit up Aldi/Lidl for small quantities if you don’t care about name brands.

Last edited:

You don't necessarily have to do something you hate, at the very least have it be tolerable. Same way you don't HAVE to be doing something you love either.

What most people fail to really understand is being able to work in something you're truly passionate about while earning a decent living is a fortunate PRIVELAGE. Most would consider themselves to be extremely fortunate to be in that sort of situation. Rarely do you see them happen often.

But when we do, we tend to over romanticize this ideology and chase something that may not ever really be a reality. So, why not just remove ourselves from awful experiences, put ourselves in ones that are more tolerable, and find happiness is other parts of life?

Being happy, upset, unfulfilled are all choices. The real question is, what are you doing about it?

Satisfaction with Job: 10/10
Pay: 10/10 (Salary Range: 75k–$140 depending on experience via Glassdoor and etc)
-
Position: Mid-level UX Designer
Industry: Tech
Experience: 5 years as a Graphic Designer, 5 years in UX
-
More Info:
I like my job. I went to school for illustration and design and even as a kid i always loved drawing and being creative. The path wasn't really clear; especially when it came time to choose what to college for. I turned down a partial scholarship for medicine bc I knew that if work was M-F and 40 hours a week, i didn't want to spend that time doing something i didn't care about. So i went with my passion and figured (naively btw) the money would come if i got good enough. For 5-6 years I didn't make any real income, i was just breaking even-ish. I just focused on working on my craft; putting in extra hours off the clock – in conjunction with some key people that provided on-the-job-feedback really helped with refining my skills that translated to the career specialty switch from Graphic to User Experience design.

From an immigrant family🇹🇹, Single parent home (pops raised me and my siblings), and the only sibling to go to college. People always say don't compare your path to others; but it was tough watching friends who weren't in a creative field flourish sooner. Definitely made me question in brief moments to myself on whether I was pursuing the right thing; i wanted to be happy and make a quality income (self imposed standard, not realistic to anyone else btw) but i didn't feel like i should have to sacrifice doing what i loved. I'm forever greatful for going through that humbling experience. So, there was a huge payoff when I achieved the goal I had set out for and am now in a position to help take care of my immediate family.

I'm 32 (washed, lol), but no kids and not married. So the immediate focus is paying off student loans asap, saving for a house, and then invest.

--

Graphic design. Want to evolve my skills into the UI/UX field. Become a supervisor last year, but the pay is still ***. Been rebuilding my portfolio so I can find something else.

Aye man -- keep pushing. Technology is only going to keep coming, but there'll always be a need for someone to know how to use it.

i was working in HR and they pay me well for what i do now compared to my old job i was bustin my *** just to make the same amount.
i dont need to "find happiness" as long as its low stress and good money its fine with me i already have expensive enough hobbies that keep me happy :lol:

Being happy, upset, unfulfilled are all choices.
Not true. Wish it were though.
Satisfaction with Job: 10/10
Pay: 10/10 (Salary Range: 75k–$140 depending on experience via Glassdoor and etc)
-
Position: Mid-level UX Designer
Industry: Tech
Experience: 5 years as a Graphic Designer, 5 years in UX
-
More Info:
I like my job. I went to school for illustration and design and even as a kid i always loved drawing and being creative. The path wasn't really clear; especially when it came time to choose what to college for. I turned down a partial scholarship for medicine bc I knew that if work was M-F and 40 hours a week, i didn't want to spend that time doing something i didn't care about. So i went with my passion and figured (naively btw) the money would come if i got good enough. For 5-6 years I didn't make any real income, i was just breaking even-ish. I just focused on working on my craft; putting in extra hours off the clock – in conjunction with some key people that provided on-the-job-feedback really helped with refining my skills that translated to the career specialty switch from Graphic to User Experience design.

From an immigrant family🇹🇹, Single parent home (pops raised me and my siblings), and the only sibling to go to college. People always say don't compare your path to others; but it was tough watching friends who weren't in a creative field flourish sooner. Definitely made me question in brief moments to myself on whether I was pursuing the right thing; i wanted to be happy and make a quality income (self imposed standard, not realistic to anyone else btw) but i didn't feel like i should have to sacrifice doing what i loved. I'm forever greatful for going through that humbling experience. So, there was a huge payoff when I achieved the goal I had set out for and am now in a position to help take care of my immediate family.

I'm 32 (washed, lol), but no kids and not married. So the immediate focus is paying off student loans asap, saving for a house, and then invest.

--

Aye man -- keep pushing. Technology is only going to keep coming, but there'll always be a need for someone to know how to use it.
shout out to pops.. made him a proud man .. :nthat:

i was working in HR and they pay me well for what i do now compared to my old job i was bustin my *** just to make the same amount.
i dont need to "find happiness" as long as its low stress and good money its fine with me i already have expensive enough hobbies that keep me happy :lol:

This is the outlook we should ALL have.

I refuse to consider my social media services (username acquisition and selling) a real job but it is my primary income and pays my bills.
It doesn't bore me but it's not exactly the most exciting either. Occasionally you deal with companies but 99% of the time you're just selling to private individuals, which means having to interact with lowballers and shady people. Pay differs greatly. Sometimes you make $1000 or more in a day, other times you barely scrape together $500 in 2 weeks.
At the end of the day it's more than what a regular job would pay me. It's not something anyone can just pick up, it takes years of experience and networking. In an attempt to help me get out of medical debt, a US friend introduced me to the lucrative market of social media usernames back in 2014 or so after I had to get half of my right lung removed and subsequently became chronically ill, which forced me to abandon my future in nursing. Happiness 6/10 I suppose, it doesn't really make me feel one way or the other.
It's also kinda bothersome to explain if someone asks what you do for a living, people tend to view it as shady but I can't really blame them.
This is just something to keep me in excellent shape financially while I figure out an actual career path.

I also do volunteer work for a mental health non-profit organization co-founded by a close friend's girlfriend, who is now my boss.
We host and moderate group talking sessions for students, moderated by students who have been trained by a university psychologist.
It's not a full-fledged group therapy session because it's run by students but virtually all the moderators are psychology students. The reception has been great and we've even gotten a shoutout from government officials and our monarchy, specifically the queen.
My function is mainly just IT support/web administrator but I do a bit of everything because my form of primary income allows me to easily multitask.
Due to Covid we couldn't host physical sessions anymore so we've transitioned to online sessions on Discord.
My coworkers are all great people and most of them are attractive women.
Technically there is a hierarchy where 3 people are my boss but it doesn't feel that way at all, especially since the primary one I report to is one of my closest friends' girlfriend and we've been good friends for years.
Happiness 10/10, couldn't be more pleased.

Incredible

Absolutely. He still always like, "you get paid to design–what is it you do again? :lol:" but yeah, the dad son dap when i accomplished what i set out to do was a great feeling.
Shout out to you for the insight. How did you make the leap from graphic design to Ui/UX?

Shout out to you for the insight. How did you make the leap from graphic design to Ui/UX?

It was a combo of 3 things that I controlled.

1. Basic Certification: (optional - btw)
    • My former job had a product team that was made up of Graphic designers and UX designers, so there was room to transition. I also knew that I wanted to some sort of formality saying that i could do UX beyond experience. So I got a basic level cert from General Assembly that taught the basics and convinced the job to pay for it (or i would if i failed). So i did that for a month while working. Purpose of it was really just a resume pad and a easy way to have the basic rules taught to me.
  2. On the Job Training / Mentorship
    • The product team that I was really good. Everyone was good at their job and more importantly, cool people. So after i got the cert i asked a chick who was on our team that was a senior ux designer to look over the small ux projects i would get and grill me as if i was a senior level ux. Some people learn better by reading, watching others, or trying it for themselves. I fall into the latter and learn way faster by doing something and failing bc i rarely make the same mistake twice. So getting reps in was a crucial part in fast tracking expertise
    • Let me also add; The ux team had to present ux work to higher ups (including the head of engineering, head of product) at the company every friday, every week, for about 4 months. This was brutal but it helped forge my ability to walk through and defend my rationale for why i approached something a specific way. That verbal skillset doesn't really come natural to me, so this helped a ton.
  3. Self Motivation
    • I worked a lot after work. Sometimes it would be just putting in extra time on a project from work so that it would be better and other times it was just me reading a book to sharpen the hard skills that i needed. Either way I was doing something extra in my free time. I still made time to have a life, but i made sure to do something to contribute to growth.

International Business Development for an e-bike company. I manage several of our distribution accounts (Japan, Korea, Australia and South America and Canada) and working on obtaining new international accounts. I also manage a handful of domestic retail accounts and project management our custom bike projects within the international accounts.

EDIT: Job happiness: 9/10

I've been here for 2 years and this is the most fun I've had at a company. We're blowing up pretty fast (we're coming up on year 5), and our product is becoming well known to celebs, athletes, social media, influencers etc. I've met and worked with some pretty dope people that I could have never imagine. (Casey Neistat, Blake Griffin, Snoop Dogg, Rhuigi (Rhude), Neighborhood Japan, Undefeated and more) My previous job paid a little bit more, but I hated it. I felt like a robot. I would have to dress business casual, go to my office, couldn't talk to people, couldn't have your phone, no internet access or music, it really was a 9-5 death job. The only reason why I would dock a point off at this company is for the pay, but the amount of freedom and fun here is WELL WORTH it, plus I get 401k, stock options and great benefits, truly unmatched.

Last edited:
You don't necessarily have to do something you hate, at the very least have it be tolerable. Same way you don't HAVE to be doing something you love either.

What most people fail to really understand is being able to work in something you're truly passionate about while earning a decent living is a fortunate PRIVELAGE. Most would consider themselves to be extremely fortunate to be in that sort of situation. Rarely do you see them happen often.

But when we do, we tend to over romanticize this ideology and chase something that may not ever really be a reality. So, why not just remove ourselves from awful experiences, put ourselves in ones that are more tolerable, and find happiness is other parts of life?

Being happy, upset, unfulfilled are all choices. The real question is, what are you doing about it?

this depends on what options someone has in terms of a career/job as well. i get that it's near impossible to be completely satisfied with any job. for example you got guys getting paid 30-40 mil to play basketball and probably complain or don't want to go to practice sometimes. the more money your job/career makes you of course it'll become more tolerable. you can have the hottest girl in the world but if you smash all the time then she becomes almost just another girl. in every aspect in life we gotta look at things beyond the surface and you're probably right, what am i doing about it ? nothing at the moment besides making a thread on NT. Right now i'm scheming and trying to stack up as much savings as possible in the foreseeable future so that i can take a leap of faith if i decide to.

I think another huge factor is how big the company is. That way you have room to grow, benefits etc. I think most of us nearing our breaking point may feel like we can’t grow. I work at a smaller company and at this time I’m almost maxed out to the point where I can’t get promoted any higher up. If anything I’d just be given more responsibilities/people to look after or pay increases only. I don’t want to live life and look back late on with regrets but financial security and peace of mind is what needs to be wrestled with.

Last edited:
recently retired from the military (20.5 years) at the age of 41 last year.
Happiness: 3/10 at the lowest and 10/10 at the highest(prolly brainwashed 😂) averaged a cool 4/10 overall for me. My job cost me my family and 1st marriage due to being away from them so often. I made some great benefits for my children. But was it worth it.... debatable.
I’m currently a stay at home dad since I’m able to bring in a decent amount without clocking in and get to be with my 2 youngest from my current marriage. I would rate this job 10/10. I love every bit of it and being capable of contributing is a big reason Why I am able to just stay home. I could work n bring in more money but like someone said before. It’s not the destination but the journey that makes u happy.

Last edited:
Im a business consultant for a major US healthcare provider. The pay is decent and benefits are excellent (5+ weeks PTO, pension plan, wfh) but honestly i hate the corporate culture. Hate having to fit in and be politically correct all the time.

Ive got side hustles and always wanted to be an entrepreneur and do things on my own terms. But until I get compensated as much without much risk, Im not willing to go that route. I want to retire between 50-55 and Im on target if I stick with what Im currently doing.

What kinda education background do you have/need to get into business consulting?

Career: Physical Therapist at a large hospital system in NYC (outpatient)
Happiness: 7/10

What I love about my career/field: Getting to help people and see their recovery throughout their rehabilitation process (6-12 weeks). Actually get to know my patients and understand their functional needs/goals/lifestyle.

What I hate about my career/field: INSURANCE :angry:, working for a large institute means that we have to deal with a lot of unnecessary BS, things get done a lot slower when you have to go through multiple levels of management to get approval.

Would love to get into academia at a university to teach though.

Back
Top Bottom