What kind of paint do I use on the Jordan XI Midsole (pylon material)

Im going to be painting my jordan xi bred's (since i got 3 pair, might as well mess with one), and blacking out the white pylon midsole like some other custom jordan people have doing. My question is, what prep work on the midsole, what primer if needed, what type of angelus paint, and what type of sealant if needed ? Thanks guys.

Acetone and/or sandpaper to remove the base paint, whatever color angelus paint you want. Then any of the angelus finishers depending on how you want the paint to shimmer. I've also never seen it used before but they also have a leather deglazer to remove paint.

Acetone and/or sandpaper to remove the base paint, whatever color angelus paint you want. Then any of the angelus finishers depending on how you want the paint to shimmer. I've also never seen it used before but they also have a leather deglazer to remove paint.
Is the white midsole even painted? What would hte leather deglazer be used for? The pylon is a type of plastic isnt it ?

don't use sandpaper on xi midsole. it would get rid of the grid. just a rub down with acetone in case there is anything protective on it which will make the acrylic fall right off. just use acrylic black and a matte finisher. should be good with that.

i'd do this too if i had copped the recent release. i still wear some '95s.

btw, they aren't painted. the white is the colour of the raw material. might still have protector to help it stay clean.

Last edited:
don't use sandpaper on xi midsole. it would get rid of the grid. just a rub down with acetone in case there is anything protective on it which will make the acrylic fall right off. just use acrylic black and a matte finisher. should be good with that.

i'd do this too if i had copped the recent release. i still wear some '95s.

btw, they aren't painted. the white is the colour of the raw material. might still have protector to help it stay clean.
This sounds like the best solution, thanks mate.

cheers! i'm happy to help when i can. :smile:

be sure to mask your outsole. this will help you get paint right into the ridge between it and the midsole without getting anything on the outsole itself.

post pics, please!

cheers! i'm happy to help when i can. :smile:

be sure to mask your outsole. this will help you get paint right into the ridge between it and the midsole without getting anything on the outsole itself.

post pics, please!

Is it possible to airbrush an enamel on ? I aint gonna be Getting no perfect brushstrokes like I'm Picasso or some ish

gonna try out repainting my buddys concords.. any tips?
dont tape off .... lol just gave me tape marks on my patent that wouldnt come off unless i used acetone. i even used low tack painters tape. acetone ate through a little of the gloss of the patent. Working on restoring now

cheers! i'm happy to help when i can.
smile.gif

post pics, please!
yeah i misread this part, i masked on top of the midsole , didnt leave a little crevice to cover the white part (was trying to protect any paint from getting on the patent at all.

I still have 2 more pair, might try again lol

Warm water and patience would get rid of excess tape glue.

Nice pics, man!

As for finisher, I never got brush strokes from using brushes.

Last edited:
Warm water and patience would get rid of excess tape glue.

Nice pics, man!

As for finisher, I never got brush strokes from using brushes.
on the pylon it doesnt leave strokes, but it can leave bubbles and ball up if you put too much paint on or dont let the paint dry 4 hrs between coats

Tooooough... Next time make a video of the whole process if you can! Nice job though! This is what JB should come out with instead of the Gammas!!

I also shaded the soles to make them an ashy red, looks pretty cool. Took some acetone, watered down the paint to make the paint watery, and rubbed it on the sole to shade the red down.

I also shaded the soles to make them an ashy red, looks pretty cool. Took some acetone, watered down the paint to make the paint watery, and rubbed it on the sole to shade the red down.

Last edited:
It is amazing how much of a difference painting in that small strip of white can make

:pimp:

Great work

I would use Angelus or Createx Airbrush colors. After a few coats I would apply a high gloss varnish.

Dude your customs look so good!  Do you think you can leak like a walkthrough or something?? I wanna do the same thing to make pair...and do you think its possible to make the 23 in the back red as well???

yo i was told you can't paint pylon midsoles without them cracking easily and quickly...

the ones i wanna paint are black, if that matters...

is this true? or does the acetone help make them work?

you do not need to prep the XI midsole (unless they are black then you must paint them white first then the color you want to paint them) just take your time and put multiple thin coats to prevent cracking and take your time around the sole and the patent leather obviously

Back
Top Bottom