What motivates you? Why? Vol. Doing what you love OR money

It goes both ways for me.  There are people who make six figures and hate what they do.  There are also people who do what they love but they're struggling to keep a roof over their head, putting food on the table, and saving up for retirement.  I grew up in a single parent home where my mom only made 20k a year until she got her physical therapy assistant license.  I don't ever want to go through that borderline poverty lifestyle again.

I say do something you can TOLERATE and brings in a decent income while doing what you love on the side.  I know too many people who majored in something that interested them but a few years later, looked back wishing they went into nursing, accounting or engineering just so they can make ends meet in the real world.

This article gives a good perspective: http://www.associatedcont...t_necessarily.html?cat=9

when i'm walking through the first class section on the plane. i
smh.gif
at myself, and think one day.....

that's what motivates me.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

If you do what you love but it pays you #!$%, you'll still be miserable.

A job is not a hobby. You don't only work when you want to and do it on the way that you want to. The same thing holds true even for an occupation that you enjoy.
If you get paid well but hate your job, you'll still be miserable.

If you do what you love you will never work a day in your life but if you get paid to do what you love thats gotta be Super Great

Do what you love, the money will follow...if you choose money, you'll quickly learn what people mean by "Money can't buy happiness"

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

If you do what you love but it pays you #!$%, you'll still be miserable.

A job is not a hobby. You don't only work when you want to and do it on the way that you want to. The same thing holds true even for an occupation that you enjoy.
If you get paid well but hate your job, you'll still be miserable.
Thus proving his point... There needs to be a balance of some sort in order to achieve a happy, but financially stable lifestyle for not only yourself, but those who depend on you.

It's hard to give a clear cut answer. I was just having a convo with some literally 20 mins ago on how we both hope we make the right choices and love what we do, and not hate having to go to work with the career we choose. I hope I can do something I enjoy or at least don't hate going to every daym but I also want to be financially comfortable and provided myself and my family with a good life. With that stated I would probably take a pay cut to do something I enjoy more.. but given the two options between 70k and 40k, 9/10 times I'm pretty sure I would take that 70k job if it's within the same field or close to it.

Originally Posted by Juice2352

Do what you love, the money will follow...if you choose money, you'll quickly learn what people mean by "Money can't buy happiness"
My thought on that is, it can buy you happiness(to an extent), it won't buy you love.

I would much rather do something I love. I don't see the point in making a ton of money if I am going to be miserable all of the time. When you think about it aren't you going to be more motivated to do something you love, which could land you a high position making more money in what you like to do?

Back
Top Bottom