What motivates you? Why? Vol. Doing what you love OR money

(Topic influenced by the drug dealer topic)

In terms of a career, would you want to do something you love, or something that simply made you a lot of money?

Simple question right?

Sort of... but I want to start a discussion about why you are motivated by money, or why by doing something you love.

What I love will make me a lot of money

But if I had a choice... Id go with what makes me a lot of money

I'd say that I'd do something because I love it and it makes me happy but unfortunately in today's world doing what you love isn't gonna get you financial security most of the time. So I'd have to go with what makes me a lot of money.

Originally Posted by LABolt317

I'd say that I'd do something because I love it and it makes me happy but unfortunately in today's world doing what you love isn't gonna get you financial security most of the time. So I'd have to go with what makes me a lot of money.

20 years from now when you've reached a point where you feel you are financially successful, won't you regret the career you chose? Regret that you sacrificed happiness all for money? I don't know if it is just me, but living an entire life devoted to money just seems meaningless. I know I'm alone there though.

Originally Posted by Ducky Quack

LABolt317 said:

20 years from now when you've reached a point where you feel you are financially successful, won't you regret the career you chose? Regret that you sacrificed happiness all for money? I don't know if it is just me, but living an entire life devoted to money just seems meaningless. I know I'm alone there though.
No I feel you man, you might as well just enjoy life straight through as opposed to kicking back later in life and thinking about how much time you missed out on. Whatever job that you enjoy that puts a little extra money into the bank every week sounds good to me.

good question. simply put, i'd want to do something i love.  there's no sense in going through all the schooling and work to do a job that you won't enjoy, but the way the economy is looking some people will probably have to do that...

Originally Posted by bAMAZING

I'd rather do what I love.

If you hate going to work its not a good look.
Or at least something you're interested in or even like. You dont want to dread everyday of work.

I'm doing what I love for a decent amount of money...I can always continue school to become a pathologist if the money starts motivating me that much

Originally Posted by krazy88s

Originally Posted by bAMAZING

I'd rather do what I love.

If you hate going to work its not a good look.
Or at least something you're interested in or even like. You dont want to dread everyday of work.

That's how i'm living rightnow bro
smh.gif

The only i'm smiling rightnow is because today is my "Friday". 2 days off to come.

I'm out of here though i'm sick of this !!@+, i've got 4 weeks to go after today before I submit my 2 week notice. I've got to get my *%! back to school.

Should've listened to my folks straight out of high school , but quick money seemed better. 5 years later I see they were right along
frown.gif

I would rather do something i loved i would be so much happier.

I had a good paying job but hated it so much

If you do what you love but it pays you #!$%, you'll still be miserable.

A job is not a hobby. You don't only work when you want to and do it on the way that you want to. The same thing holds true even for an occupation that you enjoy.

I've dreaded my "work" for the last 13 or so years of my life.

I'll be damned if I don't enjoy the remainder of my life after college.

You'll find the money won't make up for every single day you dread and hate going into work. Sure, for the short-term it'll seem like, "oh well, I get paid _______ at least."

Trust me, it sucks.

When you find a passion and put everything into it, you truly look forward to every new day and time flies.

Back
Top Bottom