What player, any sport, most deserved a ring and never got one?

This thread reminds me: Felix Hernandez gotta be the best athlete to never make the playoffs in any sport, right? I'm talking guys with long careers (10+ seasons), so no Gale Sayers.

Take it from the Patriots, all of their years.

tenor.gif

This thread reminds me: Felix Hernandez gotta be the best athlete to never make the playoffs in any sport, right? I'm talking guys with long careers (10+ seasons), so no Gale Sayers.
He's def. on the list, along with the city of Chicago trifecta of **** Butkus, Ernie Banks and Fergie Jenkins

^ We made the playoffs with him once. Got swept by the Royals the year they lost to the Giants.

Marino
Jim Kelly
Stockton
Malone
Griffey
Iverson
Barkley
Ichiro

Might have to add Rivers to this list soon too. But I think that Colts team is good enough that he still has a shot.

He's def. on the list, along with the city of Chicago trifecta of **** Butkus, Ernie Banks and Fergie Jenkins

But, those examples are defensible because of how few teams could make the playoffs. In the expanded wild card/play-in game era of MLB, the Mariners never made the playoffs (with Felix on the roster). In the '60s, when literally the best team in each baseball league when straight to the World Series, there was no chance. Considering the opportunities, Felix is the saddest case.

I wont say deserved but I wish Nash got one. I was hopeful for that Kobe/Nash/Dwight big 3 but sheesh. What a wash...

But, those examples are defensible because of how few teams could make the playoffs. In the expanded wild card/play-in game era of MLB, the Mariners never made the playoffs (with Felix on the roster). In the '60s, when literally the best team in each baseball league when straight to the World Series, there was no chance. Considering the opportunities, Felix is the saddest case.
Well, you originally said just the short list of players....not the supplemental details :tongue: If the question is, "best players to never make playoffs" then there is def. a list. If the question is "best player to not make playoffs factoring easiest system of being able to make the playoffs" then that's another list.

I'm with you though. It's a good time waster to look up and think about. Ernie Banks though man :lol: 19 seasons and not playing in playoffs is still right up there. 512 HR's, 14 ASGs, 2 MVPs.

Fun fact, I think the Mariners are the only MLB franchise left that has never made the WS!

Well, you originally said just the short list of players....not the supplemental details :tongue: If the question is, "best players to never make playoffs" then there is def. a list. If the question is "best player to not make playoffs factoring easiest system of being able to make the playoffs" then that's another list.

I'm with you though. It's a good time waster to look up and think about. Ernie Banks though man :lol: 19 seasons and not playing in playoffs is still right up there. 512 HR's, 14 ASGs, 2 MVPs.

Fun fact, I think the Mariners are the only MLB franchise left that has never made the WS!

Yep. Mariners are the only team not to make the WS. They've made the ALCS three times. Closest they got was up 2-1 on the Indians in 1995, but they ran out of gas.

Elgin Baylor is worth mentioning as someone who truly deserved a title. Top 20 player of all time, retired nine games into the 1971-72 season. The 1971-72 Lakers went 69-13 and won the title. If only he could have hung around that final season, but his body broke down.

Back
Top Bottom