What prevents the Penny IVs from being a classic?

When these shoes first came out in 1998-99.. They were fire.. I searched all over (the L.A area) for the White/Black/Obsidian IVs and they we sold outeverywhere. I was so hot! I got the retros.. but they just werent the same! Why arent these considered classics? Is it because they flooded the market withmillions of colorways and didnt give people a chance to miss them? Also, where can I find DS OG Penny IVs? Any info would be appreciated.. cuz my retros justarent getting it.

For me, its the fit. They are incredibly narrow shoes for me and I can barely get my foot in them. All the other Penny's had a great fit for me. Also, thedesign of the IV seems to be kind of uninspired, and at the point these came out, their were a lot of other innovative shoes being dropped by Nike Basketball.It also didn't help that Penny was hurt during the release of this shoe.

For me it was just overloading all these colors and they were all sitting in the outlets, plus does not look aqs hot as the other styles.

Too plain. All the other ones had appeal that was pretty much unseen when they first dropped. These look like regular nike basketball throwaways

the design was uninspired. they didnt say "sig shoe" they looked like some $80 team shoes you get in Eastbay

For me the fit was a little too narrow, and even tho I had the right size, I had a hard time getting the shoe on and lacing them up (And it's not like Ihave wide feet either)

Didn't these release around the same time as the Air Jordan 14?(Which was superior in every way.)

Originally Posted by steven42lh

For me, its the fit. They are incredibly narrow shoes for me and I can barely get my foot in them. All the other Penny's had a great fit for me. Also, the design of the IV seems to be kind of uninspired, and at the point these came out, their were a lot of other innovative shoes being dropped by Nike Basketball. It also didn't help that Penny was hurt during the release of this shoe.

Yeah.. I think Im the only person who loved this shoe.. It was because of the simple design.. they do too much.. and they kept it clean heading into the newmillennium. But Penny wasnt hurt at the release of this shoe.. these were released during the lock out season..

Originally Posted by IsTaYsTuNiNyA

For me, its the fit. They are incredibly narrow shoes for me and I can barely get my foot in them. All the other Penny's had a great fit for me. Also, the design of the IV seems to be kind of uninspired, and at the point these came out, their were a lot of other innovative shoes being dropped by Nike Basketball. It also didn't help that Penny was hurt during the release of this shoe.

Yeah.. I think Im the only person who loved this shoe.. It was because of the simple design.. they do too much.. and they kept it clean heading into the new millennium. But Penny wasnt hurt at the release of this shoe.. these were released during the lock out season..

I think this was a great design and really had some good colorways that released back in 99'. The Phoenix Colorway and Away colorway are def. appreciated.I guarantee if Penny had a monster year stat-wise, people would really like this shoe.

Originally Posted by GL Rayner

Originally Posted by IsTaYsTuNiNyA

Yeah.. I think Im the only person who loved this shoe.. It was because of the simple design.. they do too much.. and they kept it clean heading into the new millennium. But Penny wasnt hurt at the release of this shoe.. these were released during the lock out season..

I think this was a great design and really had some good colorways that released back in 99'. The Phoenix Colorway and Away colorway are def. appreciated. I guarantee if Penny had a monster year stat-wise, people would really like this shoe.
Had Penny been the man that season.. do you think there would've been such a thing as the Penny 5? oh yeah.. and Lil' Penny wasnt aroundto support the Penny 4

i think they looked pretty cool with the white/blk/royal CW and the OG blk/royal CW...
i missed out on the white/blk/royal CW... oh well

i like da penny 4s i just wished da blk n royal colorway wouldve dropped if anyone has dem in a size 9.5 get at me

The Penny IVs are classics.

The new-aged "beasts" here don't predict the history for me.

The originals were everything jo. It took me forever to find my size in D.C. when they dropped.

While I was in college, the "footaction" exclusive colorways in the early 2000 F_L_E_W off shelves, especially the black phoenix joints.

The retros of the orlando joints were not made exact like the 1st ones, so those (as well as the other crappy colorways) downgraded the perceptoion of theshoe.

But the IVs are up there with me.

Hell with y'all.
laugh.gif

Yep, they just weren't as innovative as the other Penny models. For '99 they didn't even look all that advanced. A nice design but not special. Thegrey/white colorway was nice though.

Originally Posted by eyes of hazel

The Penny IVs are classics.

The new-aged "beasts" here don't predict the history for me.

The originals were everything jo. It took me forever to find my size in D.C. when they dropped.

While I was in college, the "footaction" exclusive colorways in the early 2000 F_L_E_W off shelves, especially the black phoenix joints.

The retros of the orlando joints were not made exact like the 1st ones, so those (as well as the other crappy colorways) downgraded the perceptoion of the shoe.

But the IVs are up there with me.

Hell with y'all.
laugh.gif

Preach! Those Retro Orlandos were trash.. I think that was the worst Penny retro (even tho I have them on as we speak).. but those Footaction exclusives werehot.. Nike should retro those this year.. make 2009 the year of Penny FTW... just no more trash Penny 2's like the Blk/Red (FTL!!)

lol... i just hate puttin them on... literally... the ankle area is too narrow so it made me not want to wear them.

good question/post.....to me all penny kicks were classics in my opinion, but these for sure got the cold shoulder....i see some ppl say fit and the uninspiredlook (which i agree with to an extent, when compared to the others)....but these are still a go for me...loved them

Back
Top Bottom