What Should I Charge per Day to House and Dog Watch for 10 days....?

I work at a country club as some of you know, and over the years I have gotten to know some members pretty well.
One of them called me today and is asking me to house and dog sit for them for around 10 days in September. They said I can stay at their house overnight, am welcome to eat their food, use their car, etc.

I just have to watch the  2 dogs and do all the necessary things that come along with that, as well as get the mail, and so on.

I don't want to take advantage of them since I know they are well off, but at the same time I don't want to do it for next to nothing. I know kenneling two dogs can be VERY expensive, so I'm sure using me will be much cheaper.

I was thinking about $40/day

Thoughts?

Free.

If you think about it, you really aren't doing any work. They are giving you their home with food and a whip? They'll owe you and you might get something better down the line.

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

You left out the part where they said they'd pay you.

He told me to talk to them Friday when I came up with what I thought was a fair stipend .

Originally Posted by DeNs415

Free.

If you think about it, you really aren't doing any work. They are giving you their home with food and a whip? They'll owe you and you might get something better down the line.

I mean I have to go 20 miles out of my way to stay over there, walk the dogs, play with them, pick up their poop, water plants, etc.
Maybe I'm asking the wrong crowd. 
laugh.gif

Tell them nothing a throw a bunch of ragers for the first 8 days and charge admission. You'll make more money that way and still have 2 days to clean up.

if you get to stay eat food and use the car I would tell them Free and they will insist on paying and be really generous and decline the money.. This will lead to them telling other members/friends about how good of a person you are which in return could lead bigger and better connects.

Originally Posted by DeNs415

Free.

this. I'ts an open house, invite a couple of !%$!%# over and smash with a fury ANYWHERE in the house. However, you should smash on the new couch, pull out and leave a huge stain on the couch. Blame it on the dog. 
Next time they ask you to house sit you'll only have to take care of one dog
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by thaisativa1

say you'll do it for free; dude will tip you happily

This.  And even if he throws you like $40 for the 10 days then, if anything, I'm sure he'll refer his friends to you, which will get you more untaxed money
pimp.gif
or he may even be able to get you promoted.  You can charge $40/day, which is kinda steep, but he may look for someone else to watch his house next time then you'll be losing him and any potential business from his friends
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by ElijahDukes

$20/day
This (because of the dogs, car access, etc.), and no more than that. $200 to live in some rich person's house for ten days is good. I house sit for someone like that. All he has is a cat though but his house is so nice I should be paying him to stay in it. He pays me $15/day, which is fine because it's low maintenance.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Tell them nothing a throw a bunch of ragers for the first 8 days and charge admission. You'll make more money that way and still have 2 days to clean up.
You literally said EVERYTHING I was thinking.  But OP, say you'll do it for free.  They will throw $$$ your way when they get back.

I'd want 50 but probably wouldn't ask for it
laugh.gif
doing it free actually sounds like a good idea tho

like everyone said free and when they try to give you money keep saying no eventually theyll make you take it. win-win in both situations

Originally Posted by Hanacheezy

like everyone said free and when they try to give you money keep saying no eventually they'll make you take it. win-win in both situations

pimp.gif
Yup. Makes you look better and there is a chance they give you more than you'd ask for.

Yeah say free, and whatever you do don't be THAT dude who throws the house party and next thing you know everything gets stolen out of the house

do it for free. they will probley leave you money just incase you run out of food or gas or just to spend on whatever

Ha, I am not going to throw a house party.

They live in a very secure neighborhood, and I respect them way too much to do that anyway.

So when I see them Friday, should I really offer to do it for free??

I know damn well he won't let me do that.....the guy is a very respectful guy and he just wouldn't let it happen. He's gonna ask for a number.....

$30 a day?

My Girl housesits for this one couple and they pay her $50 a day. I stay with her everytime she does and its easy $ but they live 2 cities away so after driving back and forth for work everyday it ends up being around $40 a day which is still goood cus she doesnt do much but take care of the dogs.

Back
Top Bottom