What Should I Do? (Looking for some life advice)

Alright, so NT may not be the best place to look for some life advice, but w/e, some people on here are pretty knowledgeable folk, so I guess I might as welltry.
Anyways, my problem is work experience. I am in my second year of biomed. engineering, and have none... Yes I am probably going to get flamed for this, but thefirst step is admitting, right? I come from a family that's never really encouraged us kids to work, and to remain completely focused on studies (whichthey take care of financing).

I am worried because I have a very jank resume, and when the time comes to finally get a job, I will be royally screwed. That is why this semester I would liketo try and find some part time work, and drop from my regular 5 courses to 4 (just to see if I can handle it). I think this is a decent plan? My friend saysI'm dumb and should just focus on school and join a club like engineers without borders. He also did not have work experience like me (he's a couple ofyears older), and was able to pick up an internship at BMW, his only "experience" was being president of engineers without borders. I'm not surewhat I should do, what do you guys think?

Cliffs:
-No job experience.
-Want to pick one up while I'm in school.
-Friend says I should just focus on school, retail exp. is useless anyways...

Do volunteer work. Shows you're interested in the community and it puts something on your resume.

a degree looks better than a couple years at target homie... if anything look for an internship in the field you're pursuing.

real talk.. and job is better than no job on a resume.
it lets them know that you can function in a pressured atmosphere without cracking.
i know cats who finished college and couldnt work a regular job.
he just didnt know how to work with people in real life situations.
i mean u get exp in school doin projects, but when it comes down to real %#% money, cats will pass you up for someone who atleast worked at walmart for 6months.
they also know u can show up on time and do your job.
so get a job bro. for like 6 months.

your friend is giving you good and bad advice.

the job market has changed... you need something to set yourself apart from every other recent grad
but don't work a retail job.. that does nothing for your resume.

Is your school big?... do any of the faculty conduct research on campus?... try to see if you can assist with some labwork...and possibly get your name on apublication
alternatively, check out your schools career center.

part time work that you would find isn't going to be as valuable as school clubs, internship experience and work that is related to your field

if I were you I would join a club and look for internship or volunteer work

having a part time job at a restaurant or retail is worthless with your degrees

Just be proactive fam. Is money an issue or are you looking more to beef up your resume? Most universities have internships. You may not get paid butyou'll get college credits and experience in addition to padding your stats. Community service is also an option. Networking is also key. The saying, "Its not what you know its who you know" holds true in allot of cases. Just be ambitous in all of your endeavors and you'll be good. Even if itmeans a couple sleepless nights...

^ Yep. What he said.

Retail only helps your pocketbook, not your prospects. What you need to do is apply for an internship in your field of work/study.

Best thing to do -- get in touch with alums --- old heads are always eager to help you out. Especially if you connect in some way - ie you are both minorities,women, same home town or something.

Also, check out the web. There are plenty of resources that can guide you to landing an internship. It might be unpaid, but it's an investment.

trust me son, get that retail job. A) you'll need $$ in college, and B) you'll have trouble getting a job with no exper

hrmm, well $$$ isn't that big of an issue for me. Family deals with tuition fees, and birthday moneys is usually enough to keep me in a decent rotationthroughout the sem. lol.

I agree with the internship thing, but then lots of times when people are looking for interns, don't they also look at previous work experience? From myunderstanding most internships in Canada are paid (from my understanding*)

Originally Posted by Lorizzle

hrmm, well $$$ isn't that big of an issue for me. Family deals with tuition fees, and birthday moneys is usually enough to keep me in a decent rotation throughout the sem. lol.

I agree with the internship thing, but then lots of times when people are looking for interns, don't they also look at previous work experience? From my understanding most internships in Canada are paid (from my understanding*)
There are entry level internships out there. I honestly don't know anything about engineering, but you could contact your local companies andsee if they have any internship programs. Even if it's 1 day a week unpaid, you'll still be learning and getting the gist of it. That's what Idid during the summer, worked an unpaid job 3 days a week to gain office experience (all I had prior was retail/restaurant exp). I'm currently trying toget back with that company for a paid position.

Originally Posted by upstateboibeats

trust me son, get that retail job. A) you'll need $$ in college, and B) you'll have trouble getting a job with no exper

Retail experience only helps you get other retail jobs... and the money is DECENT at best for someone who isn't independent

Apply for an internship or look for jobs within your discipline. The engineering department at my university usually have jobs within the discipline forengineering students. I think other schools have this also. You should check that out, especially if you want your resume to look good for an engineering jobafter graduation.

Internship or research is the way to go. If your school doesn't have opportunities, companies and other schools have summer intern and research positions.

Alright, I think I like the sounds of getting an internship, hopefully I can find someone who'll take me >.<. Thanks NT.

^ medtronic has good internships for people in biomedical engineering, but it may be hard to get if you don't have research experience. It's worthlooking up though.

Originally Posted by whywesteppin

Internship or research is the way to go. If your school doesn't have opportunities, companies and other schools have summer intern and research positions.
THIS. Go speak with your professors involved in your major and get a 20/hr a week job on campus.

Back
Top Bottom