What the hell is this? Method man can you save me? lol Vol. Someone is threatening to sue me via NT

nerd.gif

RIP OP

j/k troll the guy, the mods might just delete the thread anyways. I PMed Meth about this a while back, theres a DMCA Complaints link at the bottom they can click for that.

Originally Posted by seniosoul

Originally Posted by RATxAxTAT

It could be legit. I know similar things happened on JJB for posting articles without correct citation or something.

if OP gets sued, then MTO about to catch about a dozen suits via NT members
But wouldn't he be sued from the person who WROTE the article and not the person who was quoted (Gilabert)?  Makes no sense (for the latter)....

Originally Posted by Diego

Originally Posted by I AM THAT DUDE

Originally Posted by Crime Wave

I AM THAT DUDE's second SN?
Get off my tip please

Never thought you would say this to a male.
never thought I'd need to but kats are bringing me up in topics that have nothing to do with me, like my presence permeates their conscience on a consistent basis. Not cool.

Good luck though OP. I remember the big guy from http://www.jumpforsts.com sent me a similar email calling me by my full name (and this was way before the days of google, facebook, & spokeo) threatening to sue me for bootlegging his program and it freaked me out.

Originally Posted by vezon

We got you NT fam. You get touched and we ride out with hammers and long barrel revolvers.
pimp.gif
You forgot about the musket bruh.

Waiting for OP to post the screen cap of the message he sent back pleading because he couldn't edit.

Originally Posted by do work son

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

We should all just quote it. He can't sue us all.

sounds like a good idea. you go first though
roll.gif

I actually thought of this too... could you imagine three straight pages of diff people quoting the article? Dude would come back with the
alien.gif
face

I say you wait until the eighth day to remove the thread, and see if he actually responded to you on the seventh day and what goes down from there.

Probably a troll, however, it seems too random of a thread and such to be a troll, so maybe it's actually legit
nerd.gif

I don't know OP, this seems a bit odd to me. I'm not a lawyer but I just don't think a lawsuit can be brought against you for an article you made a reference to. I mean really, does this guy intend to search the Internet for every potential reference to that article?

His beef should be with the journalist and/or the site, not you. Sending a threatening PM to you and providing a bogus email doesn't work well in his favor.

"I'm in a good position to tell you that there is no way you could hide behind a simple username or email address"

Is this guy a secret agent or something? Get out of here with that. I wouldn't worry too much about it OP, if you can find the article and think it's worth removing to appease this guy, do so. Otherwise, tell him to take it up w/ the journalist.

Edit: So the original thread is locked? Like I said, tell buddy to take it up w/ the journalist and kick rocks.  He has no case against you!

This is not may area of expertise, but there has been a booming practice of copyright extortion in recent years whereby a legal entity will purchase rights to represent a media source and then begin pursuing dubious lawsuits against anyone who reproduces a portion of the copyrighted material, even when properly referenced and attributed.  The extortion aspect comes into play because these groups exclusively target small fish - usually personal bloggers - because they can't afford to defend themselves and will almost unanimously settle for a few thousand dollars rather than risk a trial.  Recently, however, many of these spurious lawsuits have begun being dismissed when they do go to trial after the litigant fails to prove that they actually own the material in question, setting a precedent that, in fact, solely buying the right to represent a copyright does not empower one to initiate litigation over it.  What's more, few of these trials fail to decide in favor of the litigant unless there has been actual copyright infringement.  Like I said, I don't know anything.  But posting an article does not seem like you were stealing someone else's work, doing them irreparable harm by reposting it, or benefiting yourself from posting the original piece.  Again, I don't know anything but my guess is that this will go away very quickly and be nothing but a quirky part of NikeTalk history.

Back
Top Bottom