What u think of this theory of space travel?

so lets say you are capable of traveling at the speed of light to another planet. so your goal is to reach a planet 20 light years away.

so in total to go and come back home is 40 light years in total. so i dont know the exact math on how much is 40 light years & how long is it in regularearth year but lets say 200+ years. so if you was 20 years old and you went to the planet and back that means that you would arrive back on earth about 60something years old. but on earth year it would be 200+ years since you departed.

so you would get back on earth and everybody you knew is dead. what chu think?

Originally Posted by drsfinest72

so lets say you are capable of traveling at the speed of light to another planet. so your goal is to reach a planet 20 light years away.

so in total to go and come back home is 40 light years in total. so i dont know the exact math on how much is 40 light years & how long is it in regular earth year but lets say 200+ years. so if you was 20 years old and you went to the planet and back that means that you would arrive back on earth about 60 something years old. but on earth year it would be 200+ years since you departed.

so you would get back on earth and everybody you knew is dead. what chu think?

No, if you're capable of traveling @ the speed of light...it means you're traveling just as fast as light is.

So if a planet is 20 light years away, it would only take you 20 years to get there because you're traveling at light speed, and another 20 to get back.

So in total, you would have travelled 40 light years but because you're going as fast as light, you would have travelled for only 40 years...

Meaning, when you got back to earth, only 40 years would have passed.

Earth and everyone would be going slow relative to you...so it not necessary that everyone would be dead by the time you got back...they'd all be 40 yearsolder

It would really take that long? but the sunlight to reach us form the sun would be 8 minutes, and 20 light years to reach a planet? got dang..
Maybe the people on Earth wouldn't even be alive by that time
ohwell.gif

i mean i read an article that if you take a plane from US across the pacific to india or something. that your actually a few minutes younger than you were inthe us. i dont understand this time + distance crap. but im just saying.

yeah sunlight takes 8 minutes to reach earth.so if the sun exploded. we wont know until 8 minutes after it exploded. pretty crazy.

Actually, if you travel at the speed of light, you experience everything instantaneously. It would take you absolutely zero time to reach anywhere traveling atthe speed of light. But from the perspective of someone standing still, it would take 40 years for you to return from a 40 light year round trip.

i mean i read an article that if you take a plane from US across the pacific to india or something. that your actually a few minutes younger than you were in the us. i dont understand this time + distance crap. but im just saying.

yeah sunlight takes 8 minutes to reach earth.so if the sun exploded. we wont know until 8 minutes after it exploded. pretty crazy.
No. Time distortions are not felt until you travel a significant fraction of the speed of light.

So if you take a 16 year old girl with you on a space ship...travel 20 light years into space.. in real time she would age 20 years but earth years she wouldbe 16 so woud... baah forget it. I failed at making a legal age of consent space joke. FML.

i mean i read an article that if you take a plane from US across the pacific to india or something. that your actually a few minutes younger than you were in the us. i dont understand this time + distance crap. but im just saying.
ehh, i don't think that is true
If we sent an astronaut to the planet Mercury and she lived there for 30 years before returning, she would be about 22 seconds younger than if she had stayed on Earth.
from an article in 2000

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,996610,00.html

Look up Story Musgrave

Originally Posted by Ghenges

So if you take a 16 year old girl with you on a space ship...travel 20 light years into space.. in real time she would age 20 years but earth years she would be 16 so woud... baah forget it. I failed at making a legal age of consent space joke. FML.
laugh.gif

Here's how that would work.

You take the 16 year old with you on the ship.

Travel at the speed of light to a galaxy that is one light year away.

Return at the speed of light to earth.

She is now 18 on earth, but looks like she's 16. She hasn't aged, minus the time it took for you to turn around the spaceship.

So if you take a 16 year old girl with you on a space ship...travel 20 light years into space.. in real time she would age 20 years but earth years she would be 16 so woud... baah forget it. I failed at making a legal age of consent space joke. FML.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

But yeah, she would age 20 years in real time (x) 2 trips = 40 years in total. What this means is that, by the time y'all got back to earth, she would be56...
If the trip was 20 light years in total, she would be 36 when y'all got back to earth...

A for effort.

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

No. Time distortions are not felt until you travel a significant fraction of the speed of light.
actually i've heard similar things - that they are able to measure these people as being slightly younger (maybe milliseconds?) after certainlong trips. maybe it was misinformation, but i swear i heard that too.

20 light years is a measure of distance.

20 years is a measure of time.

There would be no difference in time between someone on Earth and someone traveling at the speed of light.

Originally Posted by retr0sxual

20 light years is a measure of distance.

20 years is a measure of time.

There would be no difference in time between someone on Earth and someone traveling at the speed of light.

That is incorrect. Your last statement directly contradicts the theory of relativity. You should be thinking of space-time as one entity, not space and timeindividually.

Back
Top Bottom